Can you see if dry yeast is "alive" when re hydrating?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Can you see if dry yeast is "alive" when re hydrating?

Post by gobuchul » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 am

I have a few packets of dry yeast that has been left lying around in a drawer for 12 months.

I haven't bothered to brew for ages.

Now with the current situation I would like to start getting my stocks of beer back up.

I have ordered some fresh yeast I it should be here next week but i would like to do a brew ASAP.

Normally I just pitch the yeast straight on top of the wort with no problem so have never bothered re hydrating.

The question is, if I test one of the packets by re hydrating it, is there anything visible that will tell me the yeast is healthy?

Don't want to risk brewing and spoiling a batch of wort.

CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Can you see if dry yeast is "alive" when re hydrating?

Post by CestrIan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:18 am

If you rehydrate the yeast properly and it is viable it should go milky. This is from Chris White’s book “Yeast”:

1. Warm the dry yeast to room temperature
2. Cool boiled water to 41C. Use 10x the weight of the yeast 10ml/g dry yeast
3. Sprinkle dry yeast on top. Wait 15 minutes then stir gently
4. Wait 5 minutes and stir again. Should form a cream
5. Adjust temperature to within 8C of the wort temperature
6Pitch the cream into the wort
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:54 am

gobuchul wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 am
I have a few packets of dry yeast that has been left lying around in a drawer for 12 months.
It will be fine - it's not even past its best-before date. Dry yeast goes off at a rate of well under 5%/year in the fridge, a bit more at room temperature but it will be fine.

Last night I put on a starter of some dry bread yeast that's been at room temperature since 2002 (SWMBO started getting ideas after she saw Jamie Oliver making bread and I found it in the cupboard) and it's bubbling away this morning - it's tough stuff.

As an aside - brewing is the perfect way to grow up yeast for bread-making at a time when supermarket supplies of bread yeast are non-existent.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 pm

I think it's the milky thing that indicates it's ok. I rehydrated old yeast once and it just sat on top of the water not mixing in. So I tried a newer packet and it rehydrated fine (went milky and fermented the beer properly).
Never enough time...