Gravity fed counter flow?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Gravity fed counter flow?

Post by brewbrew » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:20 pm

I'm thinking of buying the Malt Miller "Coolossus" counter flow chiller and using without a pump. The gravity head on my current set up would give a head differential of about 12 inches to the counter flow device outlet. I could increase this to 24 or 30 inches with a bit of carpentry. Will this work and can I get away without using a pump?

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Gravity fed counter flow?

Post by aamcle » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:45 pm

It should do, it won't be quick though.

aamcle

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:17 pm

Any flow should be fine. It’s the coolant flow that is more of a priority.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:05 pm

Brewbrew, did you get one?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:48 am

When using a CF chiller there are a couple of things to remember. You need a filter before the chiller. I use a BacBrewing Springer.do not let the wort cool down before run off. Immediately after use flush it both ways with hot water by means of a hose connected to a tap. Before use fill it with a cleaner and leave it over night and then flush it both ways with hot water as above. It cool 60 litres from 96° C to 22°C in 15 minutes using a pump. This saves at least 45 mins compared to an immersion chiller.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:00 am

This is a age old debate and It's all about surface area.
I have "jaded brewing" type immersion chiller.

And IMO beats the pants off these other contraptions 😄😄

30litres wort 95c to 20c in 6-10. Makes 45 litres of washing up water. No pump. No filter. No hassle. No Sterilising. No back flush. No carpentry required.

If you add up the sundry items, I bet they are cheaper too.

https://brulosophy.com/2014/09/23/the-h ... -a-review/

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:53 pm

MashBag wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:00 am

30litres wort 95c to 20c in 6-10. Makes 45 litres of washing up water. No pump. No filter. No hassle. No Sterilising. No back flush. No carpentry required.

Mashy it is simply not possible to cool that amount of wort at that temperature in that amount of time using an immersion chiller. If so why do you use the overnight no chill option.?

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:51 pm

It certainly is possible - I have done it.
https://jadedbrewing.com/collections/fr ... /the-hydra .. read it for yourself. It is to be fair a LOT of copper.

Why did they ground Concorde ? Because it was tooo slow! That is why I currently overnight chill.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:04 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:53 pm
MashBag wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:00 am

Mashy it is simply not possible to cool that amount of wort at that temperature in that amount of time using an immersion chiller. If so why do you use the overnight no chill option.?
I doubted it too, but it is possible. They've basically put three chillers in parallel, so as long as you've got the water pressure they suggest (22 litres per minute) and you stir the wort or agitate the chiller, it'll chill really fast.

Brulosophy have a few timings of it here too: https://brulosophy.com/2014/09/23/the-h ... -a-review/
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:39 pm

It really IS possible, and Tbh doesn't need that ammount of water. A quick check has my water flow at 30 lpm (ish) and I don't think that is unusual. When I run it, I find myself regulating the water by exit temp. The circ pump of the BM is on.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:34 am

MashBag wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:39 pm
It really IS possible, and Tbh doesn't need that ammount of water. A quick check has my water flow at 30 lpm (ish) and I don't think that is unusual. When I run it, I find myself regulating the water by exit temp. The circ pump of the BM is on.
So you are no longer doing no chill ! What are you using for a hop filter if you are running the pump during the chill.? Plus you are standing by with a thermometer in hand while you control the water flow rate why? Surely the higher the flow rate the quicker the chill.

Alone we travel faster

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:07 am

I used to use a home made 'hose and 8mm copper pipe' gravity fed counterflow. I had the boiler on the kitchen bench and the fermenter on the floor, so maybe 3 feet or so of head - more when the boiler was full. It used to take a while though - half an hour at least, and by the end it was just a trickle.

It worked well for years though.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:19 pm

IPA wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:34 am

So you are no longer doing no chill ! What are you using for a hop filter if you are running the pump during the chill.? Plus you are standing by with a thermometer in hand while you control the water flow rate why? Surely the higher the flow rate the quicker the chill.
No sure I get you but....

I now chill overnight, cos that is quicker still.
Hop spider would be removed before chilling
No thermometer.
I control the water flow rate 'cos I do not agree with waste.
Higher the flow rate = quicker chill. Nah, don't think so. It didn't need to be full bore full time & there seems no point using more water than necessary. My aim was 'enough' to get the quickest chill.