Just ordered from MM--stressful!

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Just ordered from MM--stressful!

Post by guypettigrew » Mon May 04, 2020 4:12 pm

This was my first MM order since the lockdown. Wow, not easy, is it?

At 3.00pm my basket was ready to go with a load of malt, hops and yeast in it. The site opened for business at about 3.15pm.

At which point there must have been thousands of us trying to put an order in. The server kept returning 'database error' the wheel in my browser went round, and round, and round, and.....

By the time I got through the Paypal page one of the things I'd ordered had gone out of stock. Speedy return to the shop and a less desirable substitute was made.

Then back to try to checkout. Database error, wheel going round.

Mrs P asked what I was getting so worked up about. After my somewhat emotional response to her I was left well alone!!

The sale eventually went through, stuff is on its way to me. So all is well. I just hope lockdown is finished before I need to do another order!

Guy

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Just ordered from MM--stressful!

Post by WalesAles » Mon May 04, 2020 6:51 pm

guy,
Why didn`t you order twice the amount? Same p&p :D
Then you can have MrsP asking why are you spending so much money on that bloody homebrew stuff! #-o
MrsP is only moaning because all online sites are sold out of garden furniture and paint
and there is nothing for you to do except homebrew =D> =D>

WA

Been there, doing that!

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Mon May 04, 2020 7:04 pm

At least you can rely on it arriving swiftly. I did a MM order on Friday and it arrived Tuesday.

I’m lucky enough to have a homebrew shop in walking distance from my house, and I’m missing popping in to get my stuff.

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon May 04, 2020 7:07 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:51 pm
Why didn`t you order twice the amount?
Not necessary. I've had a word with Boris and he's about to announce that normalising home brew deliveries is going to be the first step the nation takes out of lockdown.

I might have just dreamt that.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon May 04, 2020 7:20 pm

bitter_dave wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:04 pm
I’m lucky enough to have a homebrew shop in walking distance from my house, and I’m missing popping in to get my stuff.
bd,
Is the shop shut or are you staying in?
Like a madhouse down here, people out everywhere. #-o #-o

WA

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon May 04, 2020 7:58 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:51 pm
guy,
Why didn`t you order twice the amount? Same p&p :D
Then you can have MrsP asking why are you spending so much money on that bloody homebrew stuff! #-o
MrsP is only moaning because all online sites are sold out of garden furniture and paint
and there is nothing for you to do except homebrew =D> =D>

WA

Been there, doing that!
The order was over £100, so free delivery.

No moaning from Mrs P. She just wondered why I was getting so worked up. Not a conversation I wanted to have while watching the wheel going round and......

Brewing again on Wednesday. Yeast starter (WLP 001) going well. It'll be a 5% summer brew with loads of Citra and other lovely hops.

Guy

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Mon May 04, 2020 8:00 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:20 pm
bitter_dave wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:04 pm
bd,
Is the shop shut or are you staying in?
Like a madhouse down here, people out everywhere. #-o #-o

WA
The shop is shut, which is fair enough obviously.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon May 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Wow, I though things would be back to normal by now. People must be brewing up tremendous amounts of Ale at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 pm

My last 2 brews have both been 30L c.f. my usual 23L. Glad I bought a 35L fermentasaurus!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

mikenotts
Tippler

Post by mikenotts » Fri May 08, 2020 6:42 am

is MM the malt miller? it says "At this present time we are only accepting orders which do not include any malt or Recipe Kits. This is due to a huge increase in demand and the need to allow safe working practises in place to protect our team at this time.

If you would like to order malts please follow our facebook page as we will announce when we open the site for these orders every working day after 3pm."

am I missing something? are you getting orders? does this mean they are not selling kits but are selling hops and malts? I'm slowly going insane and starting to lick the piss from my toilet bowl;

Ever get the feeling some companies are doing great from all this? fair play to them, to be honest.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri May 08, 2020 8:26 am

It's complicated. You fill your basket with whatever you want, whenever you want, including malts or recipe kits. But you can't check out until MM (yes The Malt Miller) opens the checkout for malts and recipes. This is sometime after 3.00pm each working day.

Apparently it gets posted on the MM Facebook page as soon as the checkout opens. This was a bit beyond me--all I found were videos and stuff.

So, I sat at the computer after 3.00pm and repeatedly tried to check out until the site stopped giving me the message about not being able to check out. At which point I'm guessing me and dozens of others all tried to check out.

The site couldn't cope and kept returning 'Database Error' and seizing up, so I had to keep going back to my basket and starting again with the checkout process.

Eventually it all worked and the order was taken and delivered in two days. But it wasn't fun! I won't need to order again for 10-12 weeks.

Hopefully this will all be over by then.

Guy

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Fri May 08, 2020 8:30 am

mikenotts wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:42 am

am I missing something? are you getting orders? does this mean they are not selling kits but are selling hops and malts? I'm slowly going insane and starting to lick the piss from my toilet bowl;

They are selling malt but they are only open for orders for a few hours a day.

You can order equipment, chemicals, hops etc. at anytime.

This is due to the work involved in milling the grain for the orders, they mill everything fresh, so don't have capacity for unlimited malt orders.

brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by brewbrew » Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 am

I have just ordered a load of stuff from MM. Ordered Monday (no problem with website) and it arrived yesterday - which I think is very quick. I'd have been happy with this even without covid constraints. The MM website is really well laid out. I think that some people must have been on the site at a busy time - I had problems with Tesco and Plusnet websites yesterday - both saying "database error" - so even the mega corporations are struggling.
We have to be patient under covid situation and I'd give MM 10 out of 10 for service and transparency about how busy they are.

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm

At least there doing it fairly and not just grabbing your then letting you find out it's going to be a month

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat May 09, 2020 8:05 am

mikenotts wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:42 am
I'm slowly going insane and starting to lick the piss from my toilet bowl;
I hope you enjoy cheap Lager. :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer