Penwarne Pilsner

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Penwarne Pilsner

Post by micmacmoc » Thu May 14, 2020 10:51 pm

Hello all
If I don’t have too bad a heid tomorrow......ahem...I will make my false face pils. Have no opportunity to lager correctly, have the yeast from the bottom of my last brew I bottled today, was US05 in a Sierra Nevada type pale.

23lt
6kg Pils malt
Saaz to 23 ibu

I have a fish tank heater that would keep things to 18c but with my all new brew house the temp is always 18-20c , dispite the wild variations in the weather here on the Cornish coast. Have no way of lagering so in essence it’s a blonde ale.
Any advice? I have that poly lair stuff when it comes to bottling. And Irish moss for boil.
Thanks all.
Opinions valued!

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Re: Penwarne Pilsner

Post by micmacmoc » Fri May 15, 2020 11:01 pm

Bit, er, under the weather today so postponed til Monday. Or whenever.

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Tue May 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Right, boils on, mash was a bit warmer than planned and it stuck...the ancient hops were all ok, vac sealed and smelt lovely. Think I will do a pale ale tomorrow too. Running out of places to hide the spent grains though!

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:56 am

All ready to drink now. Used polyclar to drop the yeast, nice drop so will do it again. I believe Rob at MM is taking malt orders as usual now.
More pils malt please!

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:43 pm

This wound up being a really nice blonde ale, all went quite quickly. Have my brewhouse back after the builders took it over for the last few months. Been quite ill too with breathing/lung problems (non covid). Trying out my gear to brew this again as it was so nice. Trouble is lifting things is hard now. Had another delivery fro MM, including Heretic pint cans from USA, Jamil Zainasheff's brewery. Looking forward to these.
I'm also planning a Butcombe Best clone. If anyone has any info on this malty beer I would be grateful.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:18 pm

I remember Butcombe beers from my student days in the mid-80s back in Bath. Not wit great fondest, if I'm honest. The guys who ran the student bar wasn't a very good cellar man and the Butcombe Bitter (or maybe best) was pretty terrible.

I much preferred Smiles Best or Ushers Best from pubs in the City.

However, a quick search gave me this thread for you:

viewtopic.php?t=5022&start=75
Fermenting: Sunshine Marmalade
Conditioning: Festbier, Helles Bock
Drinking: Smoky, lager beer, Irish Export Stout, Hazelweiss 2023:2, Cascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, and more!

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks cobnut, have scaled it up to the higher percentage that it seems to be now, pretty sure it’s darker too.....perhaps you might enjoy the current version better! Thanks again.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:55 pm

I’d be very happy to receive a bottle to taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drinking: Smoky, lager beer, Irish Export Stout, Hazelweiss 2023:2, Cascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 pm

well my rubbish body still isnt up to buckets and boilers....when it is I will put one by for you!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:37 am

micmacmoc wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 pm
well my rubbish body still isnt up to buckets and boilers....when it is I will put one by for you!
:D