The Automasher

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

The Automasher

Post by Reg » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:24 pm

Jim

This little device caught me interests in the Google adverts section...

http://www.info-services.net/automasher/

I wonder if you have any comments about this sort of thing?

(Please note that Google now owe you around 3 cents... :D )

Reg

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:31 pm

That's a pretty fiendish looking device, Reg!

Looks like a kind of insulated mash tun. I'll have a closer look later.

Reg

Post by Reg » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:22 pm

QUOTE (jim @ Mar 14 2005, 04:31 PM) That's a pretty fiendish looking device, Reg!

Looks like a kind of insulated mash tun. I'll have a closer look later.
I think it may be more some kind of thermostatic stove control for the home hobbyist... either that or it's something planned for the new series of Doctor Who! ;)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:23 pm

I've had a proper look now.

I think I'll pass on that one.

Reg

Post by Reg » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:44 am

QUOTE (jim @ Mar 14 2005, 06:23 PM) I've had a proper look now.

I think I'll pass on that one.
Well I agree, it all looks a bit well dangerous to me. What if it turns your gas off then on again - which seems a real possibility with this device - and you don't have an auto pilot light or it fails to work. Although the guy seems to be an enthusiast for grain brewing so top marks there...

I might email his site to give him the right of reply though... Whaddya think?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:51 pm

I'm thinking litigation!

Reg

Post by Reg » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:42 am

What by us against him for the daftest product know to mankind?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:42 pm

:lol:

Reg

Post by Reg » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:34 am

Next week...

"Racking wine using Napalm"

info-services

Post by info-services » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:02 am

Hello gentlemen!

Thanks for having an interest in the Automasher.

Reg, you were correct about the function of the unit. It reads mash temperature with a probe while acting as a "spare hand" to turn your stove's dial automatically, maintaining the perfect temperature.

Now regarding the danger...I have considered your comments about controlling the gas range. One must remember that the Automasher's function is simple: it turns a dial. If the user uses a gas range, they are to attach the unit after lighting the pilot light and lowering the flame to its lowest setting. The Automasher has a set turning radius and will not lower the heat beyond the setting that the range is at when it is attached. It is up to the user to ensure that the setting is not so low that the range will turn off. Our detailed instructions cover some of the details of operating the unit and must be read prior to use.

Also, if the gas issue still makes you uncomfortable, we can always consider constructing a custom unit for you with a "gas leak alarm" installed. Seriously.

On a side note, other than for mashing, I have found that one of my favorite uses of the unit is the preparation of sparge water. It takes forever to heat 5 gallons of water on my stove. instead of monitoring it constantly, now I just walk away and come back later.

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:12 am

Hey IS

Welcome to JimsBeerKit and thanks for taking the time to reply to our thread on the subject of the Automasher.

We are totally into anybody who is working on products to help the home brewer and welcome the chance to share your experiences on the subject.

Thanks for coming back on the design of the unit and how it can be set with a gas cooker. The extra hand concept seems pretty unique to me as the limited number of devices made in Europe tend to be of the self-contained kettle type with an integrated thermostat and as such have quite a high price tag.

The idea of some sort of gas alarm seems sensible and might help the marketing of your design "over here" as we seem to be weighted down with a pretty heavy bureaucracy in terms of new products.

Jim and I hope to see more of you on the forum and would certainly welcome your feedback on how you came up with the idea and how it works for you.

Cheers!

Reg

info-services

Post by info-services » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome. As it turns out, I am making a batch of something right now. I am not quite sure what to call it yet.. I am afraid that I am on an artistic brewing kick for the moment. Of course, I am using the Automasher, and it works great. It has made me pretty lazy though. But perhaps that's not all bad?

The Automasher was created because I am very particular about brewing... I read some stuff about mashing and how different temperatures and consistencies can affect a mash, so I wanted easy accuracy that wouldn't effect my water content. I think the idea was developed in part because of the name. After hearing my beer man, Bob, tell me how to get started mashing, I told him that I didn't like the sounds of it and I'd need some sort of auto-mashing mechanism. So I suppose something needed to be made to fit that bill.

Thanks for hosting a forum for people with beer questions. You seem to have more knowledge than myself about these things, and I am sure my beer man will be pleased to have my crazy questions and theories coming to you instead of him.

Reg

Post by Reg » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:00 pm

IS

We wish you the best of luck in developing your product and would be very pleased for you to publish any new developments or enhancements on this forum.

Jim (and I) are always happy to chat about beer and I'm sure we'd also be happy to talk about any of your homebrewing aid ideas. (Not that what we think should encourage you or discourage you, just so that you could get different perspectives on things if you wanted them).

Anyway, welcome to our newest member and please drop in often.

Kind regards

Reg