Base Malt Exbeeriment by Norwich Amateur Brewers

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Base Malt Exbeeriment by Norwich Amateur Brewers

Post by keith1664 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Norwich Amateur Brewers Base Malt Exbeeriment

The following was kindly written up by NAB member Martin who unfortunately isn't a member here.
I'd not refer to myself in such glowing terms!

Background
Early in 2020, Keith (one of our number) hacked a 10lt tea urn, added a grain basket and wired in a
grainfather connect controller. His aim was to have a piece of kit that could be used to quickly and
simply make 5l of wort – to prototype beers, or to create beers for comparisons.
Keith is an award winning brewer, with several national medals to his name, and well respected
locally, regionally and nationally.

Aim
To produce 5 otherwise identical SMASH beers, using different base malts. (not just to compare the
malts, but to compare beers made with the malts)
Norwich Amateur Brewers members to qualitatively assess the differences the beers.

Method
Water treatment was 2:1 chloride forward using HCl with small (and equal) amount of gypsum in the
mash to help manage the pH.
1kg of each grain was mashed in 6l of water at 66C for one hour. Room temperature mash pH was
measured for each base malt. No mash out.The grainbasket was pulled and the grain rinse sparged
with 2.5l of water at 75C
Pre boil gravity was measured. The resulting 7.5L of pre-boil wort was boiled for one hour with 60
minute and 10 minute additions of 8%AA home-grown cascade to an IBU of 42. 0.3g protofloc at 10
minutes
The wort was chilled temp to 22C and put in a suitably sized fermenter, and the 4g CML ‘pia’ yeast
added to each. This yeast was chosen for its neutrality.
The 5 different worts were fermented at the same temperature (18C) in an inkbird controlled brew
fridge for two weeks. Crash cooled for a couple of days, no finings. Primed individual bottles with
sugar solutions 1.5 volumes
12 x 330 ml bottles of each beer resulted

Results
All members of NAB were contacted, and were selected to take part on a first come first served
basis. 9 people met on the evening of 10/8/20 in an online space. All 5 beers were poured into
(where possible) identical glasses and were tasted and compared.

Beer 1: Crisp Maris Otter (EBC 5.5) OG 1041 FG 1007 Mash pH 5.46
Beer 2: Crisp Maris Otter Extra Pale (EBC 3) OG 1040 FG 1007 Mash pH 5.5
Beer 3: Muntons Propino (EBC 3-5) OG1041 FG 1008 Mash pH 5.47
Beer 4: Muntons Super Pale (EBC 2) OG 1037 FG 1006 Mash pH 5.65
Beer 5: Muntons Maris Otter OG (EBC 6) 1038 FG 1010 Mash pH 5.2

As can be seen from the photograph, there is a significant difference in the colours of the beers. This
might be expected from the EBC ratings of each base malt.
It is an interesting result that EBC differences of 0.5-1 are clearly detectable in the finished beers.
The colours of the beers, followed exactly the EBC ratings (as indeed did the mash pH). Additionally,
the body and maltiness of the beers also followed the EBC ratings of the base malts used:
Beers 1 and 5 (Crisp and Muntons Maris Otter) showed body, depth and complexity – offering the
palate a blend of malt and lemon hops.
Beers 2 and 3 (Crisp MO Extra Pale and Propino) offered much less in terms of malt backbone, and
the lemon citrus of the cascade was much more to the fore – in the case of the Crisp MO EP perhaps
to an unbalanced degree.
Beer 4 (Muntons Super Pale) was the lightest in flavour and body allowing the hops most fully to
take the stage..
All the beers were clear, but Beer 3 (Propino) was notably bright.

Preferences:
The majority of the voters found Munton’s Super Pale the least characterful beer in this taste test.
All of the tasters preferred the beers made with Maris Otter, with Crisp Maris Otter edging the win
in the vote.
In a useful discussion, some of the brewers felt that Muntons Super Pale would be their choice for a
Brut IPA. Further, Crisp MO Extra Pale and Propino would also find a use for strongly hop-forward
beers.
There was no doubt that for anything ‘English’ or in need of a malt backbone, from this selection
Maris Otter should be the base malt of choice.

Final thoughts
We’d recommend this kind of fun to any brew club out there. We plan to do more of this sort of
thing. Big thanks to Keith.

TL/DR: Use Crisp Maris Otter.

In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Base Malt Exbeeriment by Norwich Amateur Brewers

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:10 am

Thanks for posting this Keith. A meritorius work that puts into context many postings that might initially appear to conflict while in truth show how variable brewing can be.

Presently I'm brewing with Dutch Malt and while there are significant differences in many respects to British malted barley, with so many variables at play the resulting beers differ significantly by other factors too.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more of your findings.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

vacant

Post by vacant » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:50 am

Excellent work. Did you consider trying for a double blind evaluation or was that too much faff given it was an online meeting?
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 am

vacant wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:50 am
Excellent work. Did you consider trying for a double blind evaluation or was that too much faff given it was an online meeting?
Keith didn't tell us what or who malted the Barley before we all finished our evaluation, so a pretty fair assessment took place. The degree of accord was very high, so the diffences were significant enough to detect. The main take home was base malt choice should be guided by the style of Beer your making. There were no "bad" malts.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 am

vacant wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:50 am
Keith didn't tell us what or who malted the Barley before we all finished our evaluation, so a pretty fair assessment took place. The degree of accord was very high, so the diffences were significant enough to detect. The main take home was base malt choice should be guided by the style of Beer your making. There were no "bad" or inferior malts.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:58 am

Interesting experiment- thanks for sharing.

Would be interesting to see how a non-MO grain with an EBC of 5 or 6 compares against MO with equivalent EBC.

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:56 am

bitter_dave wrote:Interesting experiment- thanks for sharing.

Would be interesting to see how a non-MO grain with an EBC of 5 or 6 compares against MO with equivalent EBC.
It would and maybe that’s one for the future.
I’m currently doing one comparing 3 Crisp Pilsner malts with Continental Pilsners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Post by nickjdavis » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm

That's interesting, especially the marked difference in the colour of the finished product from a group of malts with in the grand scheme of things pretty similar EBC's.

A couple of the beers in the pic appear to have better heads....was there a noticeable difference that was seen by everyone in terms of head size/reteniton?

buddsy
Sober

Post by buddsy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:35 pm

nickjdavis wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm

A couple of the beers in the pic appear to have better heads....was there a noticeable difference that was seen by everyone in terms of head size/reteniton?
Thats a question I wondered.

Great effort to all those involved in this experiment

In the original post Keith you mention the Hops being home grown. I live in Norwich and was looking at growing some hops. I see they are tall plants but how do people get on growing them in Norwich? Any tips?

Cheers

buddsy

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:53 pm

buddsy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:35 pm
how do people get on growing them in Norwich? Any tips?
No tips until you join. :lol:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:56 pm

nickjdavis wrote:That's interesting, especially the marked difference in the colour of the finished product from a group of malts with in the grand scheme of things pretty similar EBC's.

Reviewing the 3 photos I’ve seen of the test 4 and 5 had the better head retention. Though 3 had the biggest head in one of them.

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 pm

buddsy wrote:
nickjdavis wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Thats a question I wondered.

Great effort to all those involved in this experiment

In the original post Keith you mention the Hops being home grown. I live in Norwich and was looking at growing some hops. I see they are tall plants but how do people get on growing them in Norwich? Any tips?

Cheers

buddsy
I train them horizontally along a fence. Alternatively Prima Donna ( First Gold) is a hedgerow variety so not as tall.

buddsy
Sober

Post by buddsy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:39 pm

Thanks Keith may well give it a go next year.

buddsy

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:52 am

keith1664 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 pm
I train them horizontally along a fence. Alternatively Prima Donna ( First Gold) is a hedgerow variety so not as tall.
buddsy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:39 pm
Thanks Keith may well give it a go next year.

buddsy
Buddsy

You'll have no problems growing your own in Norfolk - I grow Cascade, First Gold (Prima Donna), Fuggles, Northdown, Santiam and Styrian Golding up here in North Yorkshire!! The last 2 (Santiam and Styrian Golding) were Xmas presents that I personally wouldn't have chosen to grow bearing in mind I'm an IPA fan but can't fault the thought behind the present.

I've split the original rhizomes after their 2nd harvest so have 4 plants of each which is frankly now getting out of hand and some will simply have to go. Normally I train them to grow between 6ft fence posts in a zig-zag so you get around 15ft of growth before then training horizontally until they reach maturity. This year though I've changed the pattern which has been a disaster as far as harvetsing is concerned as they've grown into each other - going to be a nightmare sorting out which is which. This years plants are averaging 24ft but the longest (Fuggles) closer to 30ft!!

As Keith has said, the First Gold is more a hedgerow type so I just let that do what it wants.

You do have to be careful if following the zig-zag method as the lead bines will snap if you try and get them to do too acute a bend.