Antifoam in a starter--amazing!

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Antifoam in a starter--amazing!

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:09 pm

In another thread Jocky suggested using this antifoam when making a starter. The biggest difficulty I find when making a starter is controlling the foaming in the flask as the mix of water and dry malt extract comes up to the boil. Lots of swirling about is required!

A bottle of the antifoam was ordered from BrewUK and I've just had a chance to try it out. Brewday on Saturday, so yeast starter day today.

Following Jocky's advice I dipped a metal skewer into the antifoam, then let a couple of drops fall into the starter before boiling it. It came to the boil more quickly than usual, no sign of any foaming at all, then boiled for 10 minutes with no problem. I even felt confident enough to to leave it boiling on the gas while I went out to the brewery/garage to put some stuff away. Absolutely amazing!

Next step is to decide whether to put it into the boiler on Saturday. All thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks Jocky!

Guy

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Antifoam in a starter--amazing!

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:49 pm

I have used this before to great effect. Works well in starters and the boil at no detriment to the final product. I diluted mines as per the instructions into small 15ML or so spray bottles but your method seems fine as well.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:23 am

No need to use anti-foam.
Just simply mix the DME witha small quantity of boiling water in a small saucepan. When it is thoroughly mixed ie no lumps of extract, pour it into the flask and top up with boiling water to the desired volume and then boil for five minutes.I guarantee that it will not foam if you follow this tip.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:04 am

My method is different to IPA's but also avoids the use of "chemicals" to obviate the problem. I bring my starter to boil in a saucepan, then use a balloon whisk to knock out the potential boil over, reducing the heat once the "head" has collapsed back on itself to a rolling boil. Once it's finished I use a spirit lamp or kitchen blow torch to lift any descending bacteria out of the way whilst pouring the starter into a flask.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Both of these are perfectly excellent ways of making a starter. But, having tried the saucepan method, I found pouring it into the flask was asking for trouble, plus it gave me one more thing to wash up.

The convenience of putting the water and DME into the flask, boiling it on the hob, even with swirling, then cooling it in the sink, outweighed the use of the saucepan for me.

Putting a tiny bit of silicone anti foaming agent into the starter feels OK to me. Plus, according to Murphys, it won't be left in the final beer anyway.

Each to their own method, though. There's no right or wrong way for so many things in home brewing!

Guy

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Glad it helps. It was a revelation when I was given some recently. Baby sitting starters was one thing I am not particularly fond of, so as a tool the anti foam is very helpful.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.