Very experienced drinking, brewing, not so much

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
hughjamton
Sober

Very experienced drinking, brewing, not so much

Post by hughjamton » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Afternoon 😁. First post. Over 30 years ago I used to brew from tins, add water and sugar then wait and drink. It wasn't great! About 18months ago I bought a starter kit from northern brewer, a ruby beer partial mash. Wouldn't have chosen a ruby but it was half price and I couldn't resist. It was a great improvement on the stuff I used to brew. I fully intended to start brewing properly and bought a couple of stainless pots and other bits. With patience I got enough gear together for biab. I love London pride so I thought I'd start there. I went to a brew shop and bought the pale and crystal malt and the hops. A few days later, on the spur of the moment, I retired early. My partner did the same and we went to Spain for 6 months. Here comes the point of the post. I bought the ingredients about 15 months ago, everything is sealed, the pale malt is crushed, the crystal isn't. The hops are vacuum packed. Do you think they'll still be ok or is it chuck it away and buy all fresh.

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Re: Very experienced drinking, brewing, not so much

Post by Dads_Ale » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:05 pm

They will be fine but the crystal will need crushing though :)

hughjamton
Sober

Re: Very experienced drinking, brewing, not so much

Post by hughjamton » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Yep, gotta get a crusher, to be honest the pale could do with a better crush. Seen a lot of people get those really cheap Chinese crushers and mostly moan about them, what about the other Chinese ones with a hopper and rollers?