Numpty Question

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
John Senior
Sober

Numpty Question

Post by John Senior » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi I brewing a Bock on Tuesday next week, the base malts are 2.75 Kg Golden Promise and 2.75Kg Munich Malt

I had to buy 3Kg of each how much of a cock-up would it be if I used the 3Kg of each base malt. thereby increasing the overall grain weight by 500g

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Numpty Question

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:37 pm

You'd probably get a three or four more degrees OG. You'd need a bit more mash liquor (a litre or so), but all should still be well.

Guy

John Senior
Sober

Post by John Senior » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:50 pm

Cheers its going in I'll deal with the consequences in 8 weeks time

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 pm

There is no problem with using the extra bit of grain however I would say focus on the beer recipe you want and not fret over a couple of penny's worth of spare grains. Grains are cheap enough so you can afford to use it in another brew or just feed the chickens with it. The chickens will thank you and when tour eating them after roasting you can thank them back. :D
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

John Senior
Sober

Post by John Senior » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:29 pm

john luc wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 pm
There is no problem with using the extra bit of grain however I would say focus on the beer recipe you want and not fret over a couple of penny's worth of spare grains. Grains are cheap enough so you can afford to use it in another brew or just feed the chickens with it. The chickens will thank you and when tour eating them after roasting you can thank them back. :D
I hadn't thought of that I'd better in vest in some chickens :D

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:50 pm

John Senior wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 pm
Hi I brewing a Bock on Tuesday next week, the base malts are 2.75 Kg Golden Promise and 2.75Kg Munich Malt

I had to buy 3Kg of each how much of a cock-up would it be if I used the 3Kg of each base malt. thereby increasing the overall grain weight by 500g
Go ahead and use the whole amount.
On the other hand: grains stay good a long time and you could save the 500g for another brew.
I'm just here for the beer.