Suggestions for my 100th All-grain Brew

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Suggestions for my 100th All-grain Brew

Post by Meatymc » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Pretty self descriptive really - I'm on brew 94 and looking for something a bit different (special) to my usual IPA/DIPA brews I'm now more than happy with. I'm also thinking something for Xmas 2021

I've taken a bit of a break over the last few weeks but usually brew every 3 weeks so in the normal process of things going to be around April before we hit brew 100 but, if it's something entirely 'alien' I'd like to do a trial brew before end-January to taste the results before the 100 comes up.

Looking back I've done various styles from Diablo's to Bitters, Porters (which my bitter Cherry was my best) to Blonde's, Stouts (including Ditch's obviously) to Commons plus Lagers and too many 'clone' attempts to mention - none of which, except Roosters Baby Faced Assassin (and lately After The Horse Has Bolted) I've ever been entirely happy with.

Biggest dissapointment - Bitters which, having been brought up in a small village with 2 pubs - one Tim Taylors and the other Theakstons ( before the big boys got hold of it) may give those up North some idea of the level I aimed for.

Finally, I bottle. I also use my own home-grown hops for bittering: Northdown, Fuggles, Cascade, 1st Gold, Stryan Golding and Santiam - the latter presents rather than chosen.

I'm happy to buy anything in but buggered about making candi sugar again!

So, any thoughts welcome - not holding anyone to anything!!!!!

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Suggestions for my 100th All-grain Brew

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:18 pm

A hundred gravity beer ie 1.100

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Why don’t you make a beer recipe from 100+ years ago? Perhaps a crazy strong mild ale!

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:01 am

bitter_dave wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 pm
Why don’t you make a beer recipe from 100+ years ago? Perhaps a crazy strong mild ale!
Ron @ Barclay Perkins does a service where he will help you design a beer from x years ago.
Never enough time...

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:42 am

Bad 'Ed wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:01 am
bitter_dave wrote:
Ron @ Barclay Perkins does a service where he will help you design a beer from x years ago.
1921 Imperial Stout

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2017 ... erkin.html

1921 Mild (albeit not crazy strong):

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018 ... x-ale.html

1921 Export stout:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018 ... s-exp.html

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:07 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:18 pm
A hundred gravity beer ie 1.100
bitter_dave wrote:
Cheers guys - both very interesting slants on things - maybe go all out with a combination of the two!!!!!!!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Meaty,
Try to brew something drinkable! :D :D

Brew a `Gruit Ale`. That will test you! :D

WA

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:42 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:57 pm
Meaty,
Try to brew something drinkable! :D :D
WA
Always good to hear some genuine encouragement - you never fail WA (and I'd have been dissappointed if you hadn't at least commented!).
WalesAles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Brew a `Gruit Ale`. That will test you! :D
WA
But that is an interesting thought though. There's no chance of the necessary herbs for a true local gruit until late Spring at the earliests so will look at that again then - as per original post I'd like a trial run in January.

So, looking back over my 'to do file' and because I've majored recently on hoppy IPA's, read through - and more to the point costed out, a couple of so-called 'world-beating/award winning' DIPA's, they are frankly ridiculous (cost-wise).

I'm sat drinking a my cloned 'After The Horse Has Bolted' - a limited edition brew by Roosters brewery based in Harrogate North Yorkshire that I don't think hit general distribution. Bit different as it's a dry hop combination of Citra and Lotus hops - the latter not available to Joe Public yet over here Several mates have said they can't taste the difference nor could they for my clone of Proper Job (St Austell) or Baby Faced Assassin another Roosters brew although they could be talking - or slurring - crap.

What I think I do now know, is that a heavy hopped beer isn't for laying down - contrary to the original idea of an IPA lasting the trip to India. It may help the beer last the distance but any length of time sees a corresponding drop in 'hoppyness' (queue Ken Dodd).

I think another go at Titanics Plum Porter is a start - plus a gruit later in Spring but happy to hear any other suggestions.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:54 pm

Although quite a few brews behind you, I have been on a similar journey the last three years. I thought my go to ales would be something like a TT landlord and pedigree. Whilst drinkable, attempts haven’t been that close to the original. Probably due to my yeast and dispensing limitations which I will address at some point next year for bitters. I also exclusively bottle.

Back to your question, I would try Mad Boris Russian Imperial Stout, from James Morton’s book. It has got better and better over the nine months since Brewing. Perfect after dinner sharing bottle for me and several friends so far. Have enjoyed it so much, that a second batch has just been bottled recently to mature. I even attempted my second reiterated mash with it. Very promising.

petec
Sober

Post by petec » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:50 pm

As it happens I’m brewing a De Ranke XX Bitter clone this weekend which might be appropriate. Or if you want push the boat out, you could brew their XxX super charged version.

Cheers,

Pete

Ps. A little behind you at batch 70.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:54 pm
I thought my go to ales would be something like a TT landlord and pedigree. Whilst drinkable, attempts haven’t been that close to the original.

Back to your question, I would try Mad Boris Russian Imperial Stout, from James Morton’s book.
Cheers KF. Brought up in a small village with two pubs - one Tim Taylors and the other Theakstons (before they sold out) - rather spoilt I think!

Exactly as you've said - my clones have been OK but nowhere near where I wanted them.

Not heard of Mad Boris - will do some research.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:31 pm

petec wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:50 pm
As it happens I’m brewing a De Ranke XX Bitter clone this weekend which might be appropriate. Or if you want push the boat out, you could brew their XxX super charged version
Thanks Pete - another beer I haven't heard of. Just been on their web site and like the comment about the XX Bitter - 'low in alcohol' it says at 6%.

Again, will research.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks for your input.

I wasn't intending brewing over Xmas/New Year as we normally have a house full - not happening this year obviously!

I've decided the best way to go about this is determine what my home grown hops can do on their own. Always use them for bittering but I dry hop quite heavily which I reckon masks their profile. If going down the bitter route rather than IPA's they need to tell me what they can do - or not!

Starting with Cascade and then Northdown - my largest croppers this year.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:49 pm

Meatymc wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:36 pm

I've decided the best way to go about this is determine what my home grown hops can do on their own. they need to tell me what they can do
Meaty,
Have you got Hops that can talk?
Bloody clever Mun! :D

WA

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:29 am

Hi, my 100th brew was this:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Used UK Cascade (not home grown). Turned out really nice.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew