Historic Porter's, Stouts and Milds - Brewing Methods

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
McMullan

Re: Historic Porter's, Stouts and Milds - Brewing Methods

Post by McMullan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:05 pm

iu-22.jpeg
iu-22.jpeg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:29 pm

Ok, let’s keep it on topic gents.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:16 am

f00b4r wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:29 pm
Ok, let’s keep it on topic gents.
Apologies for my contribution to letting the topic slip, and it's me who's usually moaning about my threads (this is one of my threads!) being dragged off topic! But I was drying up on ideas and information to take the mild discussion much further, the topic was under attack from what I thought were entirely subjective ideas (not really what I intended), and I was reaching the end of Ron Pattinson's "Mild!" book which gets downright depressing! But we're home-brewers, Ron talks of historic situations in commerce.

So I'll summarise were I think I'd got the "mild" discussion to (next post), put it on a back burner and get back to Porter (and stout, and brown malt). I want a trial Porter on within a week so need to get me finger out.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Historic Milds - SUMMARY

Post by PeeBee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:35 pm

I'd started the thread "Historic Porter's, Stouts and Milds - Brewing Methods" without realising what a sticky subject one of these was and should of kept it separate in it's own thread. And I don't mean "Porter" (or Stout). So where have I got to with "Mild" (watch out! This is a whopper*):

I included "Mild" in the subject-line because I thought it was a related dark beer like porter and wanted to brew some. I didn't like the description it was the oldest beer type, I wasn't taken in by "Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild" authenticity, I thought "X-Ale" or "XX", etc. meaning "Mild" sounded unlikely, I didn't even drink "Mild" except when I was a spotty youth, but at that time I'd drink martinis 'cos I thought I was James Bond. So I started with what I thought I knew (WARNING: List contains some RUBBISH!):
  1. "X-Ale" or "XX", etc., did not mean "Mild".
  2. The likes of "Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild" being a "Mild" was hogwash.
  3. "Mild" began to appear late in Victorian times.
  4. Connection between "Mild" the beer and "mild" meaning unaged didn't exist and was only confusing.
  5. It was dark in colour but a light version developed, and it could be a lot stronger in alcohol.
  6. It was a favourite after Porter and before Bitter came about.
And the fun began! I learnt so much going through this, the tragedy if "Mild" did slip into oblivion and the lack of knowledge about what "Mild" is (including my own ignorance). Where-upon I become a keen supporter of "Mild" (there's some mid-Victorian style stuff brewing downstairs)!

It's "Mild Ale", the last remnant of this style (as opposed to "Beer"). Up until the 20th Century "Ale" was different to "Beer" in that "ale" predated use of hops in the UK, and still meant less hops than in beer during Victorian times. In the 17th and 18th Century there would be Brown Ale, Amber Ale and Pale Ale, all disappeared although all resurrected to mean something else (even "pale ale" which is now really "pale beer").

The likes of "Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild" is (technically) rubbish. An unaged strong ale would be horrid. Okay, it could exist but it wouldn't be worth replicating as home-brew. Why spend all that time and effort to drink horrid home-brew when it would taste 10x better if left alone for a few months (but making it technically not a Mild). Likewise, I don't think Sarah Hughes brewery seriously puts it out as a real "Mild".

"Mild" didn't suddenly appear in Victorian times. It steadily evolved throughout most of the Victorian period.

"Mild", the "style" of ale, is different from "mild" meaning unaged. But "Mild Ale" was to develop from a "mild" pale ale (note ale, not "pale ale" the beer we know these days).

Mild Ale may have begun light, but was darkened to perhaps satisfy a belief that workers drank dark beer/ale, the bosses drank lah-dee-dah pale beers/ales (?). Colour remains a mystery, how it was done, where it was done, why it was done, will probably not be concluded? But it's a minor detail as I think many of us will be happy brewing and drinking the pale stuff. The alcoholic strength is well documented as falling during the World Wars, it's low strength even became a desirable feature amongst workers in heavy manual industries. About 6% ABV seemed tops for an XX ale mid-Victorian times, about 4.5% for an X-Ale (one X) outside London (where it might be stronger) by late-Victorian times. There's XXX and XXXX ales if you want to believe in them as "Milds".

It wasn't a favourite after Porter, it gradually replaced Porter as the preferred drink during Queen Victoria's reign. Note, Porter was a Beer and ales and beers were not generally made at the same brewery. New breweries opened up and old ones converted during the latter parts of the Victorian era. "Bitter" was also developing about the time of Mild Ale but wouldn't replace Mild Ale as the more popular drink until the 1950s and 60s.

That's it! Not really up for discussion, just a holding place while I get on with something else. Back to Porter & Stout for my next post.

*Whooper: a thing that is extremely or unusually large --or-- a gross or blatant lie ... yeah, could be? :D
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:35 pm

I've been a bit remiss by not posting this earlier, but the following was posted on other forums as a synopsis of Ron Pattinson's research and views

A SHORT HISTORY OF MILD ALE

This is a bit of a synopsis from reading Ron Pattinson’s blogs and Mild book, for those interested there is plenty more reading there. I hope to add a bit more of a contemporary view of Mild when I get a chance.

In the 18th century there were two types of malt liquor, Beer and Ale. Beer was first brewed in the 1500’s when hops began to be imported. Ale was originally unhoped and had been around since Saxon times, but by 1700 ale did contain small quantities of hops.

Both beer and ale were made to a variety of strengths and a used a variety of base malts, Pale, Amber and Brown. Ale was a lightly hopped beer and Beer heavily hopped. Also malt liquor was classified by age, and that sold young was described as “Mild” and those aged were called “Stock”, Keeping” or “Stale”. Porter is a good example of a Brown Beer that was sold “Mild” from the 1700’s up to its demise in the 1940’s.

So in the 1700’s Mild Ale was a vague term, and the Mild Ales from this time had very little similarity with Mild Ale of today, even the weakest Mild Ale would have been at least OG 1050.

At the end of the 1700’s a new style of heavily hopped Pale Ales were being brewed, which also spawned IPA. This type of malted liquor should really have been called Pale Beer, but it doesn’t sound as good.

Also around 1800 taxes were raised on malt to fight the Napoleonic Wars which coincided with the period when the hydrometer was being introduced. Brewers looking for a way to save costs then discovered that they could get much better extraction from male malts than dark malts, and pale malt became the base malt of choice, and even Porter and Stout were brewed from a base of pale malt.

In the early 1800’s Mild Ale grew steadily in popularity and by the middle of the century took over from Porter as England’s favourite beer. Mild continued with this popularity up to the 1960’s when it was overtaken by Bitter.

In 1830 the Beer Act was passed by parliament which removed tax on beer but taxed the malt and hops instead. This Act also gave the green light to granting licences to pubs selling beer only, which further increased the availability of beer.

The family of Mild Ales from this time were classified by X’s, with X ale the weakest and XXXX the strongest. The X may have come from the tax on a barrel which was 10/- before 1830 or it could just have been an easy mark to make in chalk on the barrel.

The grists of these early X ales was simple an used pale malt with English hops, and the strength was similar to Whitbread’s ales from the brewing logs in 1837;

X OG 1073
XX OG 1091
XXX OG 1103
XXXX OG 1115

An interesting point is that even the weakest milds had a higher gravity than IPA.

Over the 19th century Ale gravities dropped and X ale ended up around OG 1050-1055 by 1900. The stronger milds being discontinued over the course of the century.

The difference between Mild Ale and Pale Ale wasn’t colour or gravity but rather a lower hopping rate and higher FG which made Mild maltier, sweeter and fuller-bodied.

Another historical milestone was the 1880 Free Mash Tun Act which allowed sugar and adjuncts to be used, and shifted the tax from ingredients back to beer itself. This had an impact on Mild Ale grists and saw maize, rice and sugar become common ingredients.

After 1900 X Ale started to become darker, first by the use of crystal and amber malt and then by the use of darker invert sugars and caramels. The colour change may have been the result of customers being able to drink beer from glasses which allowed them to see the beer.

Another significant and dramatic change to beer happened as a result of shortages towards the end of WWI. Gravities were limited by Law and the cheapest and biggest selling beer X Ale dropped to OG 1030 or even less. As a result brewers had to develop their skills to produce a flavoursome beer of low gravity by using combinations of malts and adjuncts.

After the war X Ale crept up to about OG 1040-45 and continued this way until the Wall Street Crash in 1929 and the resulting worldwide recession. Again tax was a factor, being increased in 1931, and rather than increase prices brewers lowered the gravity to keep the price stable. Gravities dropped to around 1035, which is around where it continued until present day.

WWII also brought shortages which persisted post war and again gravities dropped to 1027-1032 before climbing again in the 1950’s to today’s level of 1030-1035.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat May 01, 2021 1:44 am

Good Ed wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:35 pm
I've been a bit remiss by not posting this earlier, but the following was posted on other forums as a synopsis of Ron Pattinson's research and views ...
Thanks "Good Ed".

I said I wasn't going to enter further discussion on "Mild" until I'd got the bit on Porter out the way. But it's worth high-lighting the "little" difference in my summary with the synopsis you've posted (based on Ron Pattinson's work). The eagle-eyed will have noticed the discrepancy between "stating dates" for "Mild Ale", only about half a century, but down to different ways of interpreting the words "Mild Ale".

The remarkable thing is although my interpretation is only about six weeks old, Ron Pattinson knows of it and I've already had the opportunity to debate it with him. Needless to say, I haven't changed his mind, and he hasn't changed my mind either, so we still have this slight difference of opinion. It's not earth shattering, but I reckon ( :roll: ) it makes my interpretation a little more "flexible". More at a later date.
Good Ed wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:35 pm
... Another historical milestone was the 1880 Free Mash Tun Act which allowed sugar and adjuncts to be used, and shifted the tax from ingredients back to beer itself. This had an impact on Mild Ale grists and saw maize, rice and sugar become common ingredients. ...
I made that error too! Sugar was allowed from 1847 and a couple of temporary times before that. And although cereal adjuncts were allowed from 1880, it didn't have much impact on Mild Ale makeups until the 20th century.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Historic Porters and Stouts - Brewing Methods

Post by PeeBee » Mon May 10, 2021 5:17 pm

I have carved off the "Mild Ale" discussion to >here<. So this thread can concentrate on Porter. So, back to Porter!

An original goal was find a recipe for a "Victorian" era porter that wasn't so harsh as the "Whitbread's 1850 London Porter" put out by the Durden Park Beer Circle. I'd made their "1750 Original Porter" a while ago using a contrived fabrication to emulate the diastatic Brown Malt used at that time, and it was very mellow. The 1850 recipe was far from mellow! It was based on the pale+brown+black malt formulations of the time. Analysing the ingredients used threw up a number of possibly missed opportunities to get a more lush Victorian version:

Standard pale malt (Maris Otter barley) was used. Chevallier barley was very much in vogue at the time and I knew from previous beers it would bring a very luscious flavour and mouthfeel to the beer.

I'd used "modern" brown malt, which would not have been the case back then. The old method of creating "brown malt" was still in use (it didn't die out until the 20th century) and that stuff was full of luscious flavours which are not present in the "modern" variety at all. My contrived emulation needed to come back (I'm not for trying to make the stuff myself, from scratch, just yet!).

Finally there was the "black malt". The recipe had 5-6% of this malt which I'd probably find objectionable in any beer (I do not like Guinness and its 10% of the wretched stuff, although I do like the John Martin Belgian 7% ABV Guinness). I looked into various "moderating" techniques, but also discovered the DPBC's formulation carried some bad scaling errors; searching through Ron Pattinson's work, of pulling together brewing records, the highest amount of black malt I could find in Whitbread recipes from that time was 3.3%. I dragged out a formulation with only 3% black malt (almost half that in the DPBC's 1850 recipe). I found some breweries were also adding it late to the boiler, even steeping some (black malt was introduced as a colourant, not a flavouring), but I decided to stick with the reduced amount of black and the round lush flavours from traditional brown malt and Chevallier barley to see it through.

So starting off with those brown malt emulations ...

PeeBee
Under the Table

Historical Porters and Stouts - Brown Malt

Post by PeeBee » Mon May 10, 2021 7:05 pm

A primary objective for this thread was to develop my original contrived brown malt formulation to replace the "modern" brown malt used in many historical (19th Century) recipes. "Modern" brown malt wasn't used in any quantity until the 20th Century as insurance for malt houses using the old techniques was getting prohibitive.

I'm using a "contrived" emulation of brown malt (using a mix of available modern malts) to keep it within reach of everyone, rather than go the route of actually copying the process of kilning "real" brown malt. Making "real" (traditional) brown malt is likely to get the best (most accurate) finished result, but this emulation should get very much closer to authentic flavours than using modern brown malt.

The method starts with assembling a range of modern malts that give what I judge to have qualities found in the original brown malt. Firstly colour. Having seen attempts to make the real McCoy, I concluded I don't need colours deeper than low colour chocolate malt (EBC 550) will bring. This gets away from my original emulation which included up to black malt. The relative amounts will be constrained by a "distribution curve with positive skew", a statistical construct for analysing results, but here we'll use it "back-to-front" to create the desired results. Unlike my original modelling I'll be stricter drawing up the width of the "bins" (the width of the bars in the overlaid histogram which is used to work out the relative proportions of grains in the emulation).

As well as colour, malts are chosen for the flavours they bring. Green malt is partially dried before kilning and even the kiln it takes time for grains to heat up. The damp grains will be subject to stewing, starch conversion, caramelisation and even "Maillard reactions". To mimic this we'll include "Munich" malts and darker crystal malts (these malts are also kilned damp).

I'm not including smoke this time. Smoke flavour would have been minimised for earlier malts that were used 100%, but there are hints that later brown malts (to be used in smaller quantities) were purposely subjected to smoke flavouring. But I'm not going there just yet. The other process that will be missing is "snapped" malt, or "blown" malt. These processes are possible for the emulation, but again I'm not going there just yet.
Brown Malt 2.jpg
The "bins" represent the quantities. They are relative (will calculate percentages) so use any unit you please for heights and multiply by the "factors" (x1, x1.5, x3, etc.). The "bins" are arranged such that they butt up with their neighbours and their mid-line is about on the line for their EBC. Work out amounts for each bin, and total the amount for all bins.

Sounds complicated and precise, but it's not. You are using pictures, not maths, to arrive at possible outcomes for a highly variable real-life process. You can move the peak ("A") rightwards to represent a hotter kiln, and alter the curves "belly" ("B") to change other aspects of the kiln. Just remember the result should be able to self-convert and you don't want to chase out all the enzymatic grains (light coloured) from the mix.

Phew, this is going on and I want me tea! It's taking longer to explain (and draw presentable illustrations) than actually knock up the emulated malt. I'll continue later, meanwhile remember this process isn't precise (neither is the actual process it's trying to emulate), it's purpose is only to keep the emulation from wandering off into nether-nether land.

If it isn't for you, just carry on using modern-day brown malt and pretend it's the same as historic brown malt. :pink:

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Tue May 11, 2021 6:42 am

I've made the DPBC 1850 London Porter and I love it. I tasted the first bottle about 4 months after bottling and it was just OK. I've noticed a gradual but distinct improvement ever since, until now, about a year in, it's truly gorgeous. But, I haven't tried peebee's version and at the time I hadn't even heard of Chevallier. (I've now got nearly 2 sacks and glad of it as there seems to have been something of a price hike). So I reckon it's time to have a go at making Brown malt at home. I don't think I'll go along the substitution/emulation route, though. I think the black malt thing is a matter of taste and I quite like it so I'll stick to the DPBC levels.
By the way, I was browsing Castle Maltings website and came across something called Black of Black (or something like that) which claims to have all the flavour of black malt without the colour. I'm very curious about how they manage this, but haven't been able to get hold of any. Has anybody out there tried it?
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 am

An Ankoù wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:42 am
By the way, I was browsing Castle Maltings website and came across something called Black of Black (or something like that) which claims to have all the flavour of black malt without the colour. I'm very curious about how they manage this, but haven't been able to get hold of any. Has anybody out there tried it?
Black of Black 800 EBC
Black Malt 1300 EBC
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Tue May 11, 2021 8:26 am

IPA wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 am
An Ankoù wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:42 am
Black of Black 800 EBC
Black Malt 1300 EBC
Indeed. It looks like a chocolate malt masquerading as patent black, but chocolate malt tastes nothing like black. Moreover Castle do both a chocolate and a black malt so I'm very curious to know what this "unique technology" has produced. Their chocolate, by the way, is darker than the black of black. Very interesting.
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue May 11, 2021 10:48 am

Right, you should have your list of malts and their relative amounts (in whatever units you cared to use, lets say pink-elephants). And you'll have a total for all the bins. Convert each to a percentage (bit of simple math), <size-of-bin> ÷ <total-of-all-bins> x 100. I put all these in a temporary recipe in a recipe-builder (I use Beersmith, but you can even use pen and paper if you want). The following was to calculate quantities for 1.38Kg of emulated brown malt:
WhitbreadPorter1849-BrownMalt.JPG
Rather than dump the whole list of malts in the recipe I consolidate them into a single "brown malt" addition (this is optional). These malts are used to test the malts in a mash of say 10 litres ("on paper", not for real!). Using the same quantities of a suitable single grain (e.g. "modern" brown malt?) for comparison in the recipe builder and adjust the colour and extract potential to match the combined colour and extract for the emulation's malts:
EmulatedBrownMalt.JPG
Done! Actual recipe next.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Historical Porters and Stouts - Brewing

Post by PeeBee » Tue May 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Whitbread's Porter (1849) FULL.JPG
Beersmith "worksheets". Using my Grainfather (a small-scale trial run then!) in "no sparge" (full boil volume mash) mode and pushing it to get 25L in the keg (much messing about with kettle and fermenter top-ups to make it fit). The water treatment (GW's "porter" profile) has been worked out for my water and won't be valid for your water. It won't be ready until Autumn so there will have to be a bit of a wait before judgement.

Using a dry yeast (S-33) because I can't be bothered sorting out liquid yeasts for such piffling amounts!

Thanks to Ron Pattinson for digging out and publishing this recipe.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue May 11, 2021 1:00 pm

Just to be irritating ...

I've rehashed my graph to illustrate what using "modern" brown malt will do to the recipe:
Brown Malt X.jpg
Convinced?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed May 12, 2021 9:42 am

Some more on brown malt. >This guy< goes to the trouble of growing barley and malting the result. A piccie of his finished result:
dscn1753.jpg
The next piccie is of my "emulation" (right) next to modern brown malt:
20210512_090448.jpg