Overnight mashing

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Overnight mashing

Post by WalesAles » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:41 pm
Nashbrew wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm
Hi Wales
Dropped to around 21c and pitched.
I have no fermenter temp control so temps go up and down in the house.
I cannot see any problem with warming the wort up a bit if you need to.
Absolutely no issue.
Thanks Mash and Nash,
I`ve been in Notts for 2 days breaking the law staying in my daughter`s house and going to beer gardens
for a pint or five! [-X
I was thinking of something totally different. Overnight chill then put the Yeast in.
How much would the temp drop overnight?
Would it drop to a temp for putting the Yeast in?

Gotta go now because orlando will be on here soon and he will
know that I`ve just bought an AG kit from the MM and he will want a sample! #-o
And Meaty and Wanus #-o

WA

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:14 pm

Yup, temp will drop enough overnight.

Day 1 setup and cold fill - press start (Friday evening )

Day 2 boil and hop. Then run away and lay it chill (Saturday morning)

Day 3 Pump to fermenter, pitch yeast and wash up. (Sunday morning )

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Wed May 05, 2021 5:23 pm

I carried out an overnight mash this past weekend.
Mashed in as normal, except being at midnight lol.
Set my brewmonk steps to hold that temp over 10 hours, got up at 9.30am and was almost ready to go.
Didn't find it done anything apart from save me time on the actual brewdsy which was nice, will probably do this again for sure.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 am

Thanks for sharing that.
Pleased it worked for you, it is just a that.. A way to save a lump of time on brew day.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu May 06, 2021 1:46 pm

Did my second overnight on Tuesday night.
Undershot slightly on my timings woke up and BM was just finished.
My BM warms up quicker than 1degree per minute I guess.
This is definitely the way to go, cuts brewday right down.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

ElthamBrewer
Tippler

Post by ElthamBrewer » Thu May 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Out of curiosity, are you overnighting lagers or ales? I’m wondering if it would affect the colour on lagers, although I guess malliard reactions are only in the boil phase anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu May 06, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi ElthamBrewer

I have only done ales so far but was contemplating a Lager next.
Was going to use the, suck it and see method.
MashBag may have more to say on the matter though.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu May 06, 2021 5:22 pm

I haven't noticed *any* difference.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:33 am

I've been thinking of giving it a go. I'm half way there. I weight my grain and fill my water boiler the night before. I turn on to heat whilst having my cornflakes and it's at strike temperature by the time I'm onto my toast. Mash on, take Dave for a walk, then sparge. Wouldn't really save me by mashing over night. It would take an hour off the day, but I more or less set aside the day anyway. I'm done including cleaning (grain and used cooling water for the horses) in 5 hours......nearer 4 on a good day. Set up the night before seems to save me most, even if it's just in my head so there is less faff in the morning.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sat May 22, 2021 12:47 pm

trucker5774 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 11:33 am
I've been thinking of giving it a go. I'm half way there. I weight my grain and fill my water boiler the night before. I turn on to heat whilst having my cornflakes and it's at strike temperature by the time I'm onto my toast. Mash on, take Dave for a walk, then sparge. Wouldn't really save me by mashing over night. It would take an hour off the day, but I more or less set aside the day anyway. I'm done including cleaning (grain and used cooling water for the horses) in 5 hours......nearer 4 on a good day. Set up the night before seems to save me most, even if it's just in my head so there is less faff in the morning.
Blimey, Trucker, how do you manage 4-5 hours for a full brew day?

My grain is weighed the day before, water in the HLT is treated to get the right alkalinity and a timer gets the water heated before I get up in the morning.

Then;
  • run the treated liquor into the mash tun at about 80°C
  • Leave it to warm up the tun and get down to strike temperature, about 15-20 minutes.
  • Add the grain, stir vigorously to even out the heat distribution. Leave for 90 minutes.
  • Sparge to get about 34 litres in the boiler. Takes about an hour. Boiler switched on with 10 litres to go, so starts boiling at the end of the sparge.
  • Nearly 3 hours gone already!
  • Boil for 90 minutes.
  • Cool to below 80°C and add flame out hops. Leave for 20-30 minutes.
  • Cool to near pitching temperature. About 20 minutes.
  • Remove cooling coil and let the wort settle before running off. About 10 minutes.
  • Pump the wort slowly from the boiler to the FV. Takes about 30 minutes as the wort is drawn very slowly through a hop filter to ensure crystal clear wort in the FV.
  • Use my Maxi 110 (turned on a couple of hours ago) to drop the wort to 20°C or whatever I want. Another 10 minutes or so.
  • Take the gravity, pitch the yeast.
  • Clean out the boiler, the pump and tubing--everything else has already been cleaned.
7 Hours at least. I could cut the mash and boil times down by 30 minutes each, but it's still a 6 hour day. How do you manage to do a 4 hour day, Trucker? Not that I've got anything else to do with my time, but I wouldn't mind a shorter brew day!

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun May 23, 2021 8:52 am

I was @ 5 hours before I went overnight. I spent quite some time reducing the length of brewday.

Power rating of elements and time it takes to get water hot is important. Consider using domestic hot water? Think about insulation. Think about more & smaller boilers. Don't boil stuff you don't need to.

The brewday is shorter with an 'all in one' type kettle. Grainfather / BM etc.

3v is much harder to reduce the time. This is why you see space ships with 7trillion valves.

'Stay clean' or 'don't use it' reduces washing up.
Don't use processes or kit that doesn't affect or better the beer.

Three heads.
One dealing with the the action .. One getting ready for the next step... One cleaning up will the time.

Process steps she again. What did this step bring to the beer. Examples... do you need a 90min boil? Do you need a full volume boil?

Brew days work, efficient brewdays take some hard work and time to achieve.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:02 am

Both my mash and boil are 60 mins. I only heat enough water I the HLT for the stage I'm at, then heat again whilst mashing. Sparging is around 30 mins. I start the boil before the full 30 litres is collected. Cooling coil is quite efficient at around 20 mins. I leave it in until after draining. I clean as I go. 4 hours would be a quick day, but 5 hours is quite leisurely. I can, of course, have longer settling and slower draining methods, but having done it different way for about 35 year, I have become lazy/more efficient! If I thought results were suffering, I would be more picky, but it's a simple system and works for me.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun May 23, 2021 10:20 am

John I agree with that, practise does make it easier.

That's a good point too about an efficient coil.

Are you using a 3v system?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:20 am

MashBag wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:20 am
John I agree with that, practise does make it easier.

That's a good point too about an efficient coil.

Are you using a 3v system?
I'm as basic as it gets. HLT and Copper are the same thing. Mash tun is a cool box. Water for the sparge is run from the HLT into an FV so that the early sparge runnings go into what was the HLT and is now the Copper and the boil can start whilst still collecting the sparge. I do have several FVs but find myself reusing the same one.
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun May 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Well done you. I'm all in favour of good beer efficiently. It's really nice to see somebody who hasn't succumbed to an all in one - I gave in far too soon really :D

[that said, I don't think I will ever buy one of these in intergalactic LED flashing space rockets they sell at the moment now]