First time home brew - AG Mosaic IPA

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Captain Beaufort
Sober

Re: First time home brew - AG Mosaic IPA

Post by Captain Beaufort » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Thanks Perchlorus

It's good to hear positive stories with the Klarstein also. Before purchasing, I could mainly find people saying its a much lower quality Grainfather which I'm sure is true, but it seems to do a fair job. I did somewhat take a leap of faith weighing up the costs of building a DIY 3 vessel kit from scratch but the idea of one unit was a big appeal.

I'll note the water volume formula. I totally didn't take into account water lost in the grain. i also did all the boils on 3000 watts so probably maximised the evaporation unnecessarily.

It's useful to know you do a similar technique decanting into the fermenter. What do you use to whirlpool? I've seen some long drill attachments online and also people shaping bits of copper pipe presumable to pump the wort through.

I've got the inkbird 308 all setup now, and sitting at 19 degrees C and stable. The airlock is still bubbling so there's definitely something happening in there!

perchlorus
Sober

Re: First time home brew - AG Mosaic IPA

Post by perchlorus » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:08 am

For whirlpooling I just stir like a madman with a sanitised long plastic spoon until things are moving so much that I'm afraid the boiler will fall off the table. I suspect the drill is a great way to go but brute strength has done the trick for me so far.

Actually initially that spoon was also my mash paddle, but it would soften in the hot mash and become pretty useless, so getting a big wooden paddle was quite an improvement.

Someday a couple years from now I'd like to move to a proper 3v setup and brew 10 gallon batches, when I have a bit more space for these things. But I'm happy to have started with the single vessel to get the hang of AG, bottling, etc. I read about half of Palmer's "How to Brew", brewed one kit beer, read the other half, and decided to go AG from there!