Mild

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Mild

Post by chris2012 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:20 pm

I hadn't realised there was an oak version of the samuel smith's bitter, gonna have to look out for that!

I'm not sure if theakston's are still doing it, but you used to be able to get an oak pin of old peculier at christmas. We had one a few years
ago, which had lots of vanilla in!

I really want to go to the SPBW beer festival sometime, don't think it's on this year alas though, anyone been to that?

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Tue May 04, 2021 6:08 pm

I think Theakstons still have OP in oak at Christmas but might have been pick up at the brewery only. I have always wondered if they ever serve anything else from oak?
Sam Smith’s Old Brewery Bitter is their only real ale and served from oak kilderkins, some of which are 100 years old but they still make new ones. You can definitely taste the oak and since the pubs are often clustered together you can try different places which will have different levels of oak.
The Junction pub in Castleford serves all of its beer from the wood. I would love to visit but living 3000 miles away makes that difficult. https://thejunctionpubcastleford.com/

I never heard of the SPBW beer festival, it’s good to see tradition hanging on here and there =D>
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 pm

Yeah, we picked up our pin from the brewery itself and had a nice little tour of the brewery too. That's a good question if they oak other
beers too.

The Junction pub is mentioned in a book I've got 'The Beer Bucket List' and does sound very neat!

I'm reading this book at the moment 'Wood & Beer: A Brewer's Guide' which is pretty cool.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Theakstons still do the old peculiar pin but the deposit on the actual pin has gone up significantly.
I had a couple of bottles from Barneey on here when he ordered one a few years back and bottled some up. Quite an intense flavour but delicious.