Mild

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Pigster
Steady Drinker

Re: Mild

Post by Pigster » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:25 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:50 pm
Pigster wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:20 pm
One question regarding adding protofloc tablets at 15 mins then later whirlpooling ... the tablets helps mass settle yet whirlpooling stirs it all up. So do you let everything settle for say a further 15 mins after whirlpooling then chill? I’m guessing yes!
Whirlfloc should be added the last 5 minutes, 15 is too long, and after agitating while chilling let the wort sit for 30 minutes or longer. I also only use 1/2 a tablet of Whirlfloc in 21 liters.
Super, thank you! I’ve been too quick in the past that once boil time is done I go straight to chill. Often thought there should be a gap!

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:34 am

Pigster wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:13 am
Good morning!
CAMRA usually promote Mild May. So just wondered is anyone brewing a mild for next month?
Anyone happy to share recipes?
Dunham Massey brew both a light and a dark mild, the dark mild is superb, based on the old Chesters mild I believe. But not sure what’s in it ... and they are not forthcoming!
http://www.dunhammasseybrewing.co.uk/dark.html
Couldn't give a dingo's fetid kidney for CAMRA and their unholy ways, High time they took their beards and sandals and crawled back where they came from.
BUT: I shall certainly be making mild since it has become my favourite style. Why? Because I can drink gallons of the stuff without falling over on the tenth. I've got one ready for drinking, one conditioning, and one in the fermenter, which I refer to as Guinness Extra Mild. I'll be remaking the first one this weekend as I changed the yeast from a previous batch and it's more attenuated and not quite as good. Simple recipe: soft water, 84% mild malt or Crisp's Vienna malt, 10% caramalt, 2% each of carafa special numbers 1, 2 and 3. Bittered with fuggles to 22 IBUs (20 litres needs 49 g leaf at 4.5% alpha acid - not Tinseth) Last 5 minutes 10g fuggles in 20 litres. Ferment with something that preserves the maltotriose. OG 1036 aim for FG 1010.
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:37 am

Rookie wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:57 pm
It's been a while since I've brewed a mild. I need to fit one into the rotation.
Fit the rotation into the mild, Rookie. You know it makes sense.

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:40 am

Pigster wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:00 pm
Last question hopefully (he says in a Columbo way!).
The BYO recipe says mash @ 68c. This sounds high, I know mild should be fairly thin but wouldn’t say 65-66 be better for preserving some body?
Hi Pigster.
Mild isn't supposed to be thin and that's why the mash temperature is high. If you mash high and use the right yeast- ESB or WIndsor a lot of unfermented sugars will remain in the beer giving it a full-bodied, luscious mouthfeel while still being weak in alcohol.

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:43 pm

Pigster wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:16 pm
Like it!
I try to avoid adding syrup etc, keen to stick to Manx brewing purity law and just using malts ... so any tips on substituting invert sugars, golden syrup and treacle for the real deal?
Loving the chat!
Most "modern" milds would have been brewed with a significant percentage of sugars or syrups, so you shouldn't get hung up on this if you want to brew a tasty mild.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Sat May 01, 2021 11:00 am

Pigster wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:16 pm
I try to avoid adding syrup etc, keen to stick to Manx brewing purity law and just using malts ... so any tips on substituting invert sugars, golden syrup and treacle for the real deal?
In the context of classic mild, forget the CAMRA propaganda - sugars are the real deal, they're fundamental to the taste of classic (West Midlands) mild. Mild without invert is like a kosher ham sandwich.

Northwest milds were always a bit different though, they were sweeter and had more crystal in them (see eg Boddies 1939) and from the 1960s they went more in the sweet direction, adding more crystal and losing sugar, until you get eg Oldham 1987 and Boddies ELM 1987, and even the extreme case of Boddies 1987 which had no sugar in at all - and was thoroughly atypical in doing so, Boddies seem to have gone on an all-grain kick in the late 1980s in an attempt to restore the reputational damage from wrecking their Bitter a few years earlier, regardless of historical accuracy.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Sat May 01, 2021 11:30 am

Sam Smith’s is also an all malt brewery and the Brew Your Own dark mild recipe by Jamil Zainasheff posted above tastes very similar to me but Sam’s is only 2.7%
I’ve been wondering how they do their pale mild, also 2.7%. It was delicious. Like a pale ale, very satisfying.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sat May 01, 2021 12:56 pm

Kegged my Mild this morning. 10L has gone into my nearly new oak barrel and the remainder into a keg with a little too pressure where it will sit for a week or so before being put at serving pressure until I decide it’s ready.

The one in oak will get bottled next weekend - unless I manage to empty my 10L keg which currently has the remains of my Thai spiced saison.

No Crystal in this one - just malt and sugars per recipe above.

My reading suggests to me that 1950s beers would often have been served from oak barrels. Will be interesting to see what effect it has and the comparison with the un-oaked portion.
Fermenting: Sunshine Marmalade
Conditioning: Festbier, Helles Bock
Drinking: Smoky, lager beer, Irish Export Stout, Hazelweiss 2023:2, Cascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, and more!

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat May 01, 2021 1:34 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:56 pm

My reading suggests to me that 1950s beers would often have been served from oak barrels. Will be interesting to see what effect it has and the comparison with the un-oaked portion.
By observation in the fifties, if my memory serves me well always in wooden casks or glass bottles in this region. During the sixties larger breweries delivered in bulk to tanks in many larger pubs, then real ale was replaced by pasteurised offerings in kegs.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Sat May 01, 2021 9:57 pm

Sam Smith’s Old Brewery Bitter is served from oak kilderkins and the effect is profound and sublime. I tried to duplicate it once and failed badly.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat May 01, 2021 10:02 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:57 pm
Sam Smith’s Old Brewery Bitter is served from oak kilderkins and the effect is profound and sublime. I tried to duplicate it once and failed badly.
Do as they do. Fill a cask every week and drink it empty the next in a continuum.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Sat May 01, 2021 10:14 pm

:lol: I love a drink but I don’t have the liver of Eddie Hitler
E502FBF6-06A8-4F16-9723-71CC1B95CF53.png

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Sat May 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:57 pm
Which is how Bathams distribute their beer.

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 pm

0D9A2F2C-D5BE-40BC-BC24-8633D931BC6F.jpeg
0D9A2F2C-D5BE-40BC-BC24-8633D931BC6F.jpeg (31.59 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Those hogsheads do not look like oak.
Sam Smith’s is the only brewery to regularly serve from oak, Theakstons still has a cooper, and the rest are supplied by an independent cooper

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon May 03, 2021 8:53 am

Excellent tubey. Thanks for sharing.