High FG

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

High FG

Post by trucker5774 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:14 am

My recent brews have been finishing around 1012. It's across the board, dark and pale. Mashing varied between 62C and 67C and various yeasts (currently SO4) I usually have a FG about 1008 for the same beer/process. OG between 1042 and 1048. Anyone got any ideas what could have made the change? Beers are still decent!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Re: High FG

Post by An Ankoù » Sun May 09, 2021 1:47 pm

If you don't notice any difference in the quality of the beer then maybe your hydrometer is to blame. Do you use a glass hydrometer, sometimes the paper with all the markings can slip in the tube, but that would give you a lower than a higher reading. Have you changed hydrometers? Are you measuring at the calibration temperature or correcting for a different temperature? Have you tried calibrating your hydrometer by measuring the density of tap water at the calibration temperature. It should read 1000.
My hydrometer should be read at the bottom of the meniscus at 20C, but something has slipped and now I have to take the reading at the top of the meniscus, a difference of 2 degrees.
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Yes done all the usual stuff with regards to calibration and temperature, thanks. I have 3 hydrometers! It's a mystery!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed May 12, 2021 8:45 am

Sounds like a batch effect. Same batch of base malt?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Could be the malt. I have just finished 50kg with just 1kg of the new batch in the last brew (no difference noticed, but it was a higher O.G. too) Will find out soon!
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:52 pm

Just a random idea, if the water source changed, which could alter mash pH etc., that could alter mash efficiency, and therefore the FG couldn't it?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:57 pm

You could have a point, Chris. I'm lucky here in Devon as the water is great for brewing (same supply as the local brewery) I have never been one for getting involved in water treatment or even checking PH. I messed a little when in Lancashire, but never appreciated any difference.......again the water was good from the tap! On the plus side, I have always wanted a bit more body and less dry beer. I have it now!
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............