Missed my numbers by a country mile!

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Missed my numbers by a country mile!

Post by Jim » Sat May 08, 2021 4:21 pm

Eric wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:58 pm
Pocket caclulators were about when he died, but probably not affordable or plentiful when he wrote much of his work.

Do you still have a slide rule Jim? Threw a 6 inch and 2 @ 12 inch ones out when clearing out after retirement, but somewhere have a circular one that fits inside a top pocket. Can't see me ever using it, but was very useful in its day.
I came across my old slide rule in the loft a couple of years ago - it'll still be up there, but I can't remember the make. I know I used it during my OND course which would be in 73/74 and that by the time I went to university (75) I had an HP scientific calculator with LED display which I remember costing quite a bit, but can't remember how much exactly.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat May 08, 2021 6:09 pm

Jim wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:21 pm
I went to university (75)
Jim,
You went to Uni when you were 75? =D>

WA

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:09 pm
Jim wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:21 pm
I went to university (75)
Jim,
You went to Uni when you were 75? =D>

WA
:=P
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sat May 08, 2021 9:24 pm

Faber Castell slide rules were the most popular, mine was a P.I.C, British made by Thornton. Got mine when doing ONC at night-school, probably 1962.
Got one by Faber later as the original got stiff, but it was just a basic one, not the engineering type.

Red LED calculator, batteries didn't last long in those. The only electronic calculator when I was at college was the Anita, a desktop thing with nixie tube display.

Prior to that we would use mechanical devices if more accuracy than could be got with a slide rule or 5 figure log tables.

How things have changed.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun May 09, 2021 7:37 am

Best thing about slide rules was that you could conceal formulae behind the slide. Great feature for people like me with a bad memory. Still got mine from the 1960's.
With regard to tilt's etc. With reasonable eyesight you can see how fermentation is progressing. That is unless you are one of those people who are paranoid about taking the lid off of the FV.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)