Blending beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Blending beer

Post by Reg » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:30 pm

This has in the passed been a commercial brewing practice and is not per se a bad thing. The history of this practice dates back 100s of years when mashes and sparges might be made two or three times on any particular batch of malt to make first the Great Ale and finally the proverbial small beer. The were then mixed at the pub counter to make a brew of the strength and taste required by the customer.

The custom fell in disrepute for a number of reasons...
The improvement in masking and sparging techniques leading to more consistent beersHopping improving shelf life and as a by product again making for more consistent beersThe practice of stretching beer with bad batches and off beer in pubs and breweriesDo any of our heavy duty brewers who may have more than one batch on the go at a time use this technique?

full malty

Post by full malty » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:18 am

QUOTE (Reg @ Sep 2 2005, 08:30 PM)This has in the passed been a commercial brewing practice and is not per se a bad thing. The history of this practice dates back 100s of years when mashes and sparges might be made two or three times on any particular batch of malt to make first the Great Ale and finally the proverbial small beer.  The were then mixed at the pub counter to make a brew of the strength and taste required by the customer.

The custom fell in disrepute for a number of reasons...

The improvement in masking and sparging techniques leading to more consistent beers
Hopping improving shelf life and as a by product again making for more consistent beers
The practice of stretching beer with bad batches and off beer in pubs and breweries
Do any of our heavy duty brewers who may have more than one batch on the go at a time use this technique?
I casked a firkin last weekend which was two stout brews blended together. Similar recipe and brewed within a week or so of each other. I had 3 five gallon containers with stout, and I picked the two best to go in the cask... where I want it to stay for a couple of months. I kegged the brew that looked the worse for wear.

So, that was my example of blending for a practical purpose. I don't usually do much blending. Last year, I wasted a 5 gallon batch by trying to mix a good beer with one that was not very good at all.

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:26 pm

3 weeks ago I've blend 2 golden beer, it was the first time and afraid about the result :unsure:
the 2 beers was similar and the taste ok :P
I don't use to do it , my batch is 45 liter, I kegged 2 x 20 ltr and a bit in bottle, or I bottle all the batch. B)