Pils Enzyme

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:02 am

That's a new one on me. Where did you hear about it?

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:11 am

I believe it to be something used in America as a work around for the cold lagering process used in true Pilsner beers... http://www.stoutbillys.com/stout/recipe ... E2F008.htm, Although I've not come across any European recipes that use it... ;)

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:22 am

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Sep 9 2005, 09:10 AM) I've got a few packets of the stuff, it's supposed to 'dry' out a beer or help kick start a stuck fermentation. I'm trying to find out at what stage is the best time to use it.
I'm brewing a pilsner kit (the enzyme isn't part of the kit) at the moment from Coopers and I'm wondering whether I should have mixed a packet in when I added the yeast to make a dryer lager or whether I should mix it in when I transfer to the bottling bucket.
As you can see from the recipe I quoted above it seems to be used in conjuction with Ale yeast to bring about the same result that can be achieved from a good cool fermenting lager yeast. I may be wrong as I tend to brew bitters and wines, but my instinct is you would be better off getting a good lager yeast in the first place...