Beers (late 19th Century and 20th Century)

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Beers (late 19th Century and 20th Century)

Post by PeeBee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:49 pm

On that "other" site I've posted:
PeeBee wrote: (Warning: Off-site link!)
I've accumulated amounts of Billington's* sugars:
"Golden" for No.1, and as a dilutant to get the right shades out of the other sugars.
"Demerara" for No.2, and as an alternative dilutant to get the right shades out of the other sugars.
"Light Muscovado" for No.2.
"Dark Muscovado" for No.3 and No.4.
"Molasses Sugar" for No.4, although I do worry about a slight bitterness present in this very raw sugar.

And for comparison (to fine tune the emulations) brew size samples of:
No.1 Ragus Invert Sugar.
No.2 Ragus Invert Sugar.
No.3 Ragus Invert Sugar.

I'm using Ragus Invert Sugar because I'm reasonably convinced (now) that Ragus offer a good example of UK invert sugars. They are also the only manufacturer of such sugars left in existence! I will have to figure out how to deal with the 20% dextrose adulterant they add to cast it as a solid block rather than a syrup but that shouldn't be too hard.

I'm also hoping Billington's will reply to me with whatever colour analysis they have. I'm sure I can convert to EBC. Otherwise, I'll use Graham Wheeler's analysis of Tesco's Dark Muscovado (i.e. 600EBC) and extrapolate.

Why all the different sugars and not just a jar/tin of "molasses" syrup? I know ("Heron" documents) that the different grades/colours of Brewer's Invert (No.1, etc.) was the result of inverting different grades of raw sugar; so, having a range of raw sugars might enable me to mix the closest match? Should be better than just adding one grade of molasses syrup in different quantities to emulate the entire range of Invert Sugars (No.1-4). As for "No.4" I've no comparison so if I include it, it will be a guess. I'll probable use Brupak's "Brewers Caramel" to adjust the colour of an emulated "No.3"; Ragus used caramel colouring (E150) in their No.4, apparently.

What of "Maillard reactions" and caramel flavour? I'm of the belief now that such flavours and colours came from the only elevated temperature processes involved in creating Invert Sugar; that of extracting the crude sugar from the cane (remember, the Victorians were not even aware of "Maillard reactions"). So, such flavours should already be present in the raw sugars used and not added or created to the finished invert sugar.

I will not be "inverting" the sugar unless something convinces me otherwise. And I might resort to "inverting" if my emulation come out close, but not close enough. But anyone can "invert" the mixed (sucrose) sugars if they wish, to achieve a syrup too.

My target will be to brew >this< with an Invert Sugar emulation before next Autumn. It's a bizarre "Pale Ale" with loads of "No.3" sugar. I've written this "intent" out 'cos I may not achieve my "intention" (I have a habit of that), and this provides an opportunity for someone to take over. A lot of us complain we can't get our hands on Brewers' Invert Sugars; this is an attempt to redress that.

* Billington's sugars are available in the UK, and according to their packets, New Zealand, and Singapore. Americans might use similar sugars from "India Tree". There is bound to be other alternatives.
I'm just copying it here 'cos I'm lazy!
Last edited by PeeBee on Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:35 pm

See ... not kidding!
20220429_170402_WEB.jpg
20220429_170402_WEB.jpg (120.2 KiB) Viewed 521454 times
I'm committed now?

They'd got no "Golden Caster Sugar" left, so I got some "Golden Icing Sugar".
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Big_Eight
Steady Drinker

Post by Big_Eight » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:06 pm

Very nice let us know your results as you progress!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun May 01, 2022 7:30 pm

Get to it in short order ...

I chose to start with "No.1" 'cos I felt the outcome should be fairly straight-forward. I dissolved 10g of Ragus No.1 in warm water, making it up to 100ml (about a 10% solution; w/v or w/w, doesn't really matter, it's about the same in this case). Did the same with "Golden Caster Sugar". I'd already tried "Golden Castor" so knew it came out a bit pale and with not a lot of flavour, so actually used 9g "Golden Castor" and 1g "Demerara". For a larf I dissolved 10g Lyle's Golden Syrup making it up to 100ml too. 10% solution was picked as being about the amount of the sugar in beers so should represent the impact on beer from its inclusion.

This was all "seat of my pants" stuff 'cos there's no way I could replicate the "EBC" approach.

What I got was:
20220501_165516_WEB.jpg
20220501_165516_WEB.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 521411 times
"Ragus" on the Right, "Billington's" on the Left, and "Lyle's" in the background.

Taste: The Billington's, despite being paler than the Ragus, tasted strongly of Demerara sugar. The Ragus didn't have a particularly strong flavour, but did taste distinctly of Demerara. But the strength of colour and taste of one or the other didn't convince me I'd be able to tell any difference in a beer brewed with either. The Lyle's had the strongest flavour, the strongest colour, and a taste quite unlike the other two! "Caramelised sugar" would describe it (nice though, but that's not the point!).

Conclusion: Save your money! Golden Granulated/Castor with perhaps 5-10% as Demerara should substitute Ragus No.1 Invert Sugar quite adequately (alternatively I don't imagine Granulated White Sugar will make any obvious difference). Lyle's GS may be noticeable and, in this case, quite wrong!

That was easy, as expected (surprised by Golden Syrup which was what I started this thread with; others had warned me though). I'm anticipating a tougher time with No.2, No.3 and No.4 (but I haven't a comparison for No.4 anyway).

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sun May 01, 2022 11:55 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:30 pm
Get to it in short order ...

I chose to start with "No.1" 'cos I felt the outcome should be fairly straight-forward. I dissolved 10g of Ragus No.1 in warm water, making it up to 100ml (about a 10% solution; w/v or w/w, doesn't really matter, it's about the same in this case). Did the same with "Golden Caster Sugar". I'd already tried "Golden Castor" so knew it came out a bit pale and with not a lot of flavour, so actually used 9g "Golden Castor" and 1g "Demerara". For a larf I dissolved 10g Lyle's Golden Syrup making it up to 100ml too. 10% solution was picked as being about the amount of the sugar in beers so should represent the impact on beer from its inclusion.

This was all "seat of my pants" stuff 'cos there's no way I could replicate the "EBC" approach.

What I got was:

20220501_165516_WEB.jpg

"Ragus" on the Right, "Billington's" on the Left, and "Lyle's" in the background.

Taste: The Billington's, despite being paler than the Ragus, tasted strongly of Demerara sugar. The Ragus didn't have a particularly strong flavour, but did taste distinctly of Demerara. But the strength of colour and taste of one or the other didn't convince me I'd be able to tell any difference in a beer brewed with either. The Lyle's had the strongest flavour, the strongest colour, and a taste quite unlike the other two! "Caramelised sugar" would describe it (nice though, but that's not the point!).

Conclusion: Save your money! Golden Granulated/Castor with perhaps 5-10% as Demerara should substitute Ragus No.1 Invert Sugar quite adequately (alternatively I don't imagine Granulated White Sugar will make any obvious difference). Lyle's GS may be noticeable and, in this case, quite wrong!

That was easy, as expected (surprised by Golden Syrup which was what I started this thread with; others had warned me though). I'm anticipating a tougher time with No.2, No.3 and No.4 (but I haven't a comparison for No.4 anyway).
Good luck with your project PeeBee, That's an interesting recipe you've selected for your test. If we assume 336 lbs of barley makes a Qtr and 224 lbs of sugar for the same measure, then for every 3 Qtrs of malt there are 2 of sugar, if my sums are correct. If invert sugar is 95% fermentable, it would surprise me if the apparent attenuation was 75.24% as Ron suggests. Also I've not found Ragus #3 particularly colourful, certainly not enough to turn an otherwise pale beer to something dark. Looking forward to your findings. It would be nice if Ron popped in again, it's a while since his last posting.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon May 02, 2022 10:14 am

Eric wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:55 pm
... That's an interesting recipe you've selected for your test. ...
Ron Pattinson is having a bit of a run on "Hancock" beers (Wiveliscombe, Yelverton) just now. Screwy beers, right up my street. There's a "Mild" (XX, their main output) very much like that linked BB recipe, i.e. 40% No.3 Invert. A Victorian dark "Mild"! But a decade later the dark sugar in the XX was slashed to a third of the 1887 levels. This will suit me as I have limited Ragus samples to do comparison brews with. I can always go back to the 40% No.3 recipe (before next Xmas?) if I like the 1898 one and if my No.3 Invert replacements appear to be working. There's an 1888 Porter recipe too, also 40% No.3 Invert and brown malt (and not significantly aged).

I'm fairly hopeful these "Invert Sugar" assemblies will keep coming out all right. An alternative to trying to find a source of Ragus invert sugars and then cough up for 25Kg of the stuff or spend hours over a hot stove trying to produce fantasy imitations of the stuff (caramelised and nothing like the "real" thing) will be long overdue for many homebrewers. But if Graham Wheeler failed to turn the tide (he was advocating these sorts of approaches eons ago) what hope have I? The latter was a challenge to folk on the fence - to put away their sugar-boiling saucepans and join this band of "Invert Sugar" seekers.

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Mon May 02, 2022 10:03 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:35 pm
See ... not kidding!
20220429_170402_WEB.jpg
I'm committed now?

They'd got no "Golden Caster Sugar" left, so I got some "Golden Icing Sugar".
That has been my stock for sometime now, along with Golden Granulated which I couldn't see. I tend to use the "easier" sugars to work with "boil wise" (as in Golden Granulated) and add the darker sugars in a small proportion to suit colour and taste.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed May 04, 2022 9:19 am

Good Ed wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:03 pm
That has been my stock for sometime now, along with Golden Granulated which I couldn't see. I tend to use the "easier" sugars to work with "boil wise" (as in Golden Granulated) and add the darker sugars in a small proportion to suit colour and taste.
Aye, I will also use sugars that are easiest to work with, and the reason you see no "Golden Granulated" is I only have Tesco's own brand and that will spoil the picture! So, I got the icing sugar 'cos a half-used bag of Billington's "Golden Castor" would spoil the picture too ... err ... it's in the picture isn't it. Well bang goes my attempts to be arty! But I've a plan for the icing sugar (later ... perhaps).

But I can't use the "small proportion to suit colour and taste" option because, 1: If I can't quantify it then I can't write concise instruction to do it, and, 2: I chiefly (exclusively?) use "invert sugar" for historical beer recreations. So, I stick rigidly to the No.1-4 boundaries in the belief that is what readers will want too.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed May 04, 2022 9:35 am

Doesn't icing sugar sometimes include an anticoagulant type addition, or something like that. Don't know if yours does or if it would make any difference, just an observation.

I'll have a go when chance avails to brew that 1888 Hancock BB. It uses less than 3 kg of malt that should be something like Chevallier, which I don't have, but will simulate something with other additions The invert will be home made #3. I can't imagine how it might taste.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm

Eric wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:55 pm
Good luck with your project PeeBee, That's an interesting recipe you've selected for your test. If we assume 336 lbs of barley makes a Qtr and 224 lbs of sugar for the same measure, then for every 3 Qtrs of malt there are 2 of sugar, if my sums are correct. If invert sugar is 95% fermentable, it would surprise me if the apparent attenuation was 75.24% as Ron suggests. Also I've not found Ragus #3 particularly colourful, certainly not enough to turn an otherwise pale beer to something dark. Looking forward to your findings. It would be nice if Ron popped in again, it's a while since his last posting.
Did you ever brew the recipe RP posted? If so, how did it turn out?
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed May 04, 2022 4:05 pm

Eric wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:35 am
Doesn't icing sugar sometimes include an anticoagulant type addition, or something like that. Don't know if yours does or if it would make any difference, just an observation.

I'll have a go when chance avails to brew that 1888 Hancock BB. It uses less than 3 kg of malt that should be something like Chevallier, which I don't have, but will simulate something with other additions The invert will be home made #3. I can't imagine how it might taste.
It does. I'm not advocating use of "icing sugar" I just wanted a pretty box for the piccie. 'Cos I'm a tart. And then I hid the box behind an open, part used bag of castor sugar, so I messed that up! I was never that good as a tart. I might invert a small sample and use the icing sugar to "seed" the sample to create a Ragus look-a-like; for no other purpose than to have a laugh.

But as you said earlier, #3 isn't really very dark. 40% "invert", like in that recipe, might have a bit more impact (I'm working with 10% solutions). I've homed in on 15% Billington's Dark Muscovado, rest Golden Castor, for #3. The Billington's has the right flavour and colour at that, but it is surprising that the Billington's provides the more "lush", even slightly sweeter, overall sensation. Not that I think it will be noticeable in the beer.
20220504_141028_WEB.jpg
20220504_141028_WEB.jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 521291 times
Emulation left, Ragus #3 on right. The slight change in tone of the etched lines on the emulation is odd - I suspect it's something to do with refraction (the Ragus is "inverted", the emulation isn't). It's not the measuring cylinders, they are identical.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed May 04, 2022 6:41 pm

So if I happen to have some Ragus #1 (I do!), how much dark muscovado is needed for #2, #3, #4?

Or indeed, how much molasses?

I’ve seen the suggested mixtures of lyles GS and molasses, but not sure if #1 invert and lyles are interchangeable in the same %
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed May 04, 2022 7:30 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm

Did you ever brew the recipe RP posted? If so, how did it turn out?
No, I did not. Can't say why, possibly forgot as there was a goodly sized gap in brewing that summer. However, I am cautious of mixing much crystal and large quantities of invert sugar. That can make the beer a little too sweet for me, preferring a combination of unmalted adjuncts and invert.

I'm currently drinking one with 4.3% crystal plus 8.6% invert, which took about 2 weeks before the hops came through as they should. I've brewed with 10% adjunct and 16% invert with no such problem.

PeeBee, don't worry about colour, but it's good to see you are prepared for the outcome. Today I've casked a beer with over 6% Ragus #3 which is anything but dark, a pale beer with some colour.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed May 04, 2022 10:50 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 6:41 pm
So if I happen to have some Ragus #1 (I do!), how much dark muscovado is needed for #2, #3, #4? ...
Hey, give me a chance! I only finished prepping "No.3" today. Haven't even started on No.4. And then there's the batch size trials, and then all the claims from people who followed my previous unfinished escapade and want to know what to do with loads of Golden Syrup ... :?

But I'll write up some more in the coming days. I think.

PeeBee
Under the Table

"The rise and fall of invert sugar"

Post by PeeBee » Thu May 05, 2022 12:50 pm

Sorry about the post's title; I pinched it from "Ed's Beer Site" I'll be coming back to that. Quick recap, 'cos I lose track of where I'm at to!

Initially I used the popular "caramelised" invert sugar, until I read the two 1896 "Heron" documents:
Invert‐sugar. (Part I.) - Heron - 1896 - Journal of the Federated Institutes of Brewing - Wiley Online Library
Invert‐sugar. (Part II.) - Heron - 1896 - Journal of the Federated Institutes of Brewing - Wiley Online Library
... and began to realise, "caramelised" invert sugar was wrong, so very, very, wrong!

So, I began the task of un-picking the "invert sugar" story. It seems the entire "caramelised" invert sugar idea began around the 1970's. Not from historical research, but from the over-active minds of enthusiastic UK homebrewers. When the American "craft beer" craze kicked off, they latched on to these ideas and developed them. An influential beer writer (Graham Wheeler) would write pieces that contradicted these "new" ideas (e.g. Invert No 1,2,3) but too late to stop the inertia behind those incorrect ideas it seems. Meanwhile, the UK commercial brewers were turning their backs on "invert sugar", from "Ed's Beer Site" (The rise and fall of invert sugar); "... In 1960 bulk liquid sugar, which is mainly sucrose, became more popular than invert sugar ...".

During processing, the sugar canes are crushed/shredded and pressed to release a juice to be rendered down. This is a very summarised, top of me head, account of the refining process: The juice was originally boiled in "evaporation pans" though is now temperature controlled and kept below 80°C (under pressure?) which must dramatically affect the "molasses" that is created. As the juice concentrates sugar crystals begin to form resulting in a "massecuite", a semi-solid mass of sugar crystals and "mother liquor". The liquor is removed. The process is repeated (the sugar "melted" - dissolved that is - each time) resulting in more colour (and other debris - "molasses") being removed from the sugar. Centrifuges can be used to separate "mother liquor", it will otherwise just drain off. The waste liquor, which still contained significant sugar, could be fed animals, further processed (e.g. molasses syrups, "Treacle", "Golden Syrup"), added to beer wort (!), etc. The resulting sugars are graded according to how much processing, A (least refined), B and C; now that sounds like No.1, No.2 and No.3 (perhaps No.4, darkest) brewing sugars?

In the early days sugar was transported in barrels and any remaining stronger flavoured "mother liquor" would settle at the bottom. This could be collected for brewing. Literally "scraping the barrel". Unfortunately, it wasn't the origin of the (20th Century) phrase, I know, 'cos I looked!

At points in the process sugar could be "inverted" with acid. The inverted sugar syrups could be neutralised with lime, lye or the like. The syrups wouldn't recrystallise because the inverting resulted in formation of fructose and glucose which could stay in solution at much higher concentrations. Handy for putting into beer wort. Different grades of sugar resulted in different grades of invert syrup: The least refined sugar resulted in the darkest coloured invert syrup.

As sugar refining got much better, these "by-products" had to be fabricated if the market still required them.

SO ... With this "schoolboy" understanding of sugar refining I made the following decisions:

NO caramelising sugars. NO encouraging "Maillard reactions". Both required quite strong heat which would never have been applied during and after the inverting process. Any such products would have been the result of the "evaporating pans" so the sugars we start with will have them "built in".

Use "raw", "unrefined", sugars to ensure we have those "molasses" flavours built in. "Raw" and "unrefined" are stupid descriptors, of course they are not "raw" and "unrefined" else we'd be left with sticks of "bamboo"!

As the different grades of invert sugar began with different grades (refinement) of sugar, replicate this using the different grades of sugar rather than different amounts of a single grade of sugar (like a retail liquid molasses). Might make minimal (no?) difference, but at least we're trying.

DO NOT bother with "inverting". There doesn't appear to be any worthwhile reason to bother with it. Old commercial arguments appear to have been to keep the market for "invert sugars" alive, newer "homebrewing" reasons seem to be the fantasies of individuals. But, if you feel you must, try to ensure the inverting is carried out below 110°C to prevent fructose caramelising and messing up the colours (and flavour).

That's it for now ... © Peebee of Brewers' Bedtime Fairy Tales Limited, 2022 8)
Last edited by PeeBee on Thu May 05, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.