Fining for haze removal

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
sagwalla

Fining for haze removal

Post by sagwalla » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:27 pm

I'm wondering your experiences of using isinglass to fine homebrew, or any other fining agent for that matter.

I noted before that I often forget to put Irish Moss into the boil, but this time I did and my beer still has a persistent haze to it. I can drink haze, but I'm curious about how to knock it down. I understand that many commercial brewers flog in isinglass and by the time the casks have been cellared the beer is bright.

What is your experience of fining post-ferment? Can you just put it in, or do you need to sanitise / sterilise it? Does it drop out? How long does it need to rest? How does it work? Does Irish Moss alone work for you?

Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:19 pm

I have tried isinglass in the past (and it worked OK), but I switched to gelatin, as it was cheaper and easier to store.

According to stuff I've read, isinglass is no good for bottom fermenting yeast because the charge is wrong (or something equally silly).

sagwalla

Post by sagwalla » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:57 pm

So, when this stuff does its thing, it just settles out with the yeasty trub and you slop the first bit? Or does it stay in solution? I'm intrigued. I've been on a programme to reduce glop in the corny through racking, so it makes me nervous to put more in.

This site:

http://www.whitehorsesw6.com/misc/fulls ... 4&cat_id=2

talks about cellarmanship; about rolling the barrels to redistribute the finings at the time of cellaring. This is what got me wondering about trying this at home.

Also wondering what the preparation is. Just water and bladder bits? How much are you adding? Enough to be a diluent? I've seen some conscientious beers that say they're not suitable for vegetarians when they use isinglass. I guess that's the weird thing for me. Fish + beer? I know...I should relax.

BTW, my latest, a blonde, is lovely, just a bit hazy. "Dizzy blonde". I like it!

Jaytee
Tippler

Post by Jaytee » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:49 pm

If I bother to use finings, I add isinglass in the liquid form

I've tried powdered finings, can't remember if they were IG or gelatine, but they didn't mix well.

I add them when I rack to secondary so they're generally there a week.

Excellent results, crystal clear.