Removing chlorine

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Removing chlorine

Post by MashBag » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:04 am

Nothing to do with water treatment (alkalinity and minerals)

I am a winemaker. I use potassium metabisulphate in the wine. Never sodium.

I could use this to blow away the chlorine.

As an Anglia customer, its fine to drink. So what problem would I be fixing?

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Removing chlorine

Post by IPA » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:23 am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frizzlife-SK99 ... =8-25&th=1

Use one of these and you will realise how bad your water tasted before !!!
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:37 pm

I have (well similar) and it doesn't. Hence my question about chlorine. 🤷🤷

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:04 am

Try the one I listed and it does. Sometimes in summer the chlorine in our tap water is higher than the swimming pool.
This is borne out in my water analysis carried out by Wally Brew (Neil)
"TOTAL RESIDUAL CHLORINE AS CI2,mg/L 0.01"
A week ago I did a blind tasting with some neighbours and both of them correctly identified the filtered water.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:30 am

So what is the problem with chlorine that it needs to be removed?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:27 pm

MashBag wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:30 am
So what is the problem with chlorine that it needs to be removed?
I am amazed that you don't know the answer to that.

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:05 am

... And you wonder why the forum is slow!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:31 am

MashBag wrote:So what is the problem with chlorine that it needs to be removed?
It makes your beer taste a bit wanky.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

JonB
Steady Drinker

Post by JonB » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:31 am

I'm going to try and be more helpful than the above...

Chlorine can create Chlorophenols in the finsihed beer/wine by reacting with phenols released by yeast during fermentation (these are the spicy/peppery/nutmeggy aromas that Belgian yeasts in particular throw out in spades)

Flavour labels for Chlorophenols include "band-aid" (I'm assuming like eating plasters), "plastic," "medicinol," "adhesive solvent-like," etc. Obviously you don't want any of these in your finished beer as they are quite unpleasent and I believe the flavour perception threshold is quite low (i.e. a small amount of chlorine can result in a beer/wine that tastes like nail polish).

EDIT: According to this source from the Aussies 236ng/l of some cholrophenols (i.e. 0.000236mg/l) is enough to be detectable in wine. For reference my water supply typically has 0.18-0.51mg/l of Free Chlorine (assuming Severn Trent are reporting accurately but that's a rant for another day...), so if that all binds to Phenols from the yeast you'd definitely notice it...
https://www.awri.com.au/industry_suppor ... ne_faults/

My personal favourite removal method is an HMA filter; I bought one for my tropical fish tanks because the filters worked out more cost-effective than buying gallons of the "tap-safe" chlorine binder from the fish shops. With the right filters this thing strips out Chlorine, Chloramine, Heavy metals and sediment >1µm (not that we really have any of the latter in our water); the improved water quality has had a noticeable positive impact on my fish and I run this off for brewing water as well. Seems to work really well and I've not had any of the above off flavours in any of my beers...

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:39 am

Based on my UK experience, the level of chlorine/chloramine in UK domestic supply water is not going to make your beer smell like a bottle of TCP/box of plasters. Invariably when a beer does go like that it's due to a wild yeast infection. This may not apply in the rest of the world where chlorine/chloramine levels may be higher.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't treat the water. If I leave a glass of my tap water out for a few hours I can smell/taste the chlorine, so I'd be surprised if some form of this doesn't carry over. Adding a tiny pinch of metabisulphite (either sodium or potassium) is so cheap and easy that it seems daft not to do it unless you have a sulphite allergy.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:53 am

My water company, Bournemouth water, has confirmed there is no Chloramine in my water. It's well worth contacting your local water company to ask the question.

As to Chlorine, I run the raw water into the HLT 24 hours before brewing, then leave it with the lid off. I think this allows any Chlorine to escape, but perhaps I'm wrong. Happy to add metabisulphite if I need to.

Guy

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:58 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:53 am
My water company, Bournemouth water, has confirmed there is no Chloramine in my water. It's well worth contacting your local water company to ask the question.

As to Chlorine, I run the raw water into the HLT 24 hours before brewing, then leave it with the lid off. I think this allows any Chlorine to escape, but perhaps I'm wrong. Happy to add metabisulphite if I need to.

Guy
That works on chlorine, but not chloramine.
I'm just here for the beer.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:28 am

MashBag wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:05 am
... And you wonder why the forum is slow!
I don't remember saying that the forum is slow.

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:04 am

Thanks chaps.

Some stuff there to make me think.
Water company reports they do use Chloramine never exceeding 1.5 ppm

I assumed an ammount of chlorine would dissappear during the boil and we don't have a heavy chlorine pong on a glass of water (but that of course it part of the reason for Chloramine)

I don't think I have a problem to solve, but do as a winemaker always have potassium metabisulphate to hand. One pinch next time won't hurt, and I will see if there is anything to report.

vacant

Post by vacant » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:16 am

Chloramine: I got my answer in 2015, my area isn't on the list.

Chlorine: Water filter company says four minutes boiling will do it. I think way more time than that heating to strike temperature would do the job.

I gave up Campden tablets.