Gas Problem.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Road Runner

Gas Problem.

Post by Road Runner » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:56 pm

I have 2 full King Kegs currently maturing. In the interest of Quality Control, I just had a small sample of both.

Ok then, to be honest, I couldn't wait any longer to see what they were like.

I did also have a small sample a week ago. When I tried a week ago, they both seemed to have plenty of gas pressure in them. This week they hardly have any pressure at all. The beer flowed slowly and did not appear to produce any head whatsoever. They did have a very slight fizz to them, although not much. But they tasted fine. I'm quite confident that niether kegs are leaking gas.

They are in a room with no heating switched on, where the temp is usualy around the 10'c mark. I did notice a week ago that the temp in that room had suddenly dropped to 4'c. I'm therefore assuming that CO2 has been absorbed into the beer due to the sudden drop in temp in that room last week.

So my questions are:

1. Should I open the kegs and re-prime with Spray Malt to rekindle secondary fermentation to produce the pressure?

2. Give them a shot of CO2 from the gas cylinder?

3. Will the gas release from the beer & give the required head pressure again if I put the kegs in a warm environment for a few days?

Or is there anything else I should do?

RR.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Move to a warm room for a three to four days. Sounds like your yeast have gone dormant due to the low temps, so carbonation is not complete.

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 am

Thanks guys.

Have switched the heating back on in afformentioned room. I didn't want to open the kegs if possible. So hopefully the warming up will work. If not I will re-prime in a week or so and try not to let them go down as low as 10'c.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of Jims brilliant temperature controlled cupboard. Is it air conditioned also to keep the beer cool in the summer months?

RR.

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:58 am

p.s.

Unfortunately DaaB, no I don't live near Guildford.

I'm near Colchester, Essex.

RR.

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:29 pm

Happy again.

I just checked my 2 kegs, had a small sample of each to check if the pressure was building up again, having switched the heating back on in that room, as I mention above.

Yep, they're both a lot better now, pressure is building very well. Another few days and I'll just cool the room a bit to around 13'c or so if I can.

Thanks for your help guys.

The Guinness clone (as far as I can see being a dark beer) looks fairly clear. But the Pale Ale is pretty cloudy. Both were fined when they were barrelled. But the Pale Ale is dry hopped in the barrel. So I'm wondering if that takes longer to clear perhaps with the hops floating around.

RR.