'The National Craft Brewing Festival'

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
SiHoltye

'The National Craft Brewing Festival'

Post by SiHoltye » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Have just stumbled upon this event organised by Richard Burns of Cheers Winemaking and Brewing in Sutton. It's at a Youngs Hotel Pub and here is a link for people.

http://www.cheerswinemakingandbrewing.c ... bfest.html

I'm gonna go in the Porter section with 'AG#3 - Brown Porter' bottled. Anyone else fancy a larf!!![/url]

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 pm

I think I'll go along this year, not sure if my fragile ego is ready to risk submitting a beer to the comp though...! :lol:

drinking: ~ | conditioning: ~ | primary: ~ | Looks like I need to get brewing then...
Visit London Amateur Brewers online

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:33 am

I quite fancy gaining some experience in comps...

I've got in-laws in carshalton, which is handy BUT 17th November is first meet of the chelmsford 'shed brewers'. so can't be there.

do these comps allow one to send bottles by post, for judging in ones absence?

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:12 am

Gurgeh wrote:do these comps allow one to send bottles by post, for judging in ones absence?
I believe so, here are the details.

drinking: ~ | conditioning: ~ | primary: ~ | Looks like I need to get brewing then...

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 pm

The NAWB National, Federation and local club shows have a single bottle entry but you're unlikely to get much in the way of feedback. It's a quirk of history and geography in that in the UK people get together in beer circles every month to discuss each others beers and they get feedback their. The purpose of judging at those competitions is to rapidly put the beers in rank order to get the prizes sorted out. If there is feedback it will be at a judges at the bar session afterwards where you discuss your entry with the judge.

US practice is different due to huge distances and a comprehensive written report is provided. I did something like that for a CBA member who is 100 miles from his nearest neighbour! There was a report in Zymurgy recently by a US show that had put the judges and brewers together after judging to discuss the beers and they thought it was a wonderful new invention! As practised in the UK for three decades.

The Sutton and Derby Festivals (and one or two smaller shows) are different in that six bottles or a keg are entered and drunk by competitors afterwards. Comments are on comment labels with discussion afterwards if you want. Last year Derby tried out the BJCP forms and brewers liked the written feedback. It was particularly useful as the festival was so successful it was almost impossible to move (I was an organiser and didn't even get in!) let alone chat to judges.

This year the venue's three times as big so discussion should be easier. BJCP or similar forms will be used for all entries. Note however that a traditional British judge will rank a beer in two minutes, while a BJCP one will take 10 minutes or so deep in though. In consequence the organisers have had to recruit half of England's beer judges (and tell thm to slow down!) for the event. If you're wondering about the cost of entering remember it is paying for a large accessible venue an considerable travelling expenses as each judge's expenses are only spread across a dozen entries.

I don't know that single bottles have been judged at Sutton and they certainly haven't at Derby - but you can always contact the organisers to see if they're willing.

But don't be bewitched by US practice. Face-to-face interaction with a judge or master brewer will generally be better. East Anglia is a hotbed of meetings of brewers and don't forget the County Beermakers in Leyton. If you want to know how good your beer is why not have a competition at a meeting and get a judge to judge it or do a tutored tasting?

Are the Chelmsford Sheddites sending an entry into the inter-group challenge at the Derby festival? CBA will pay postage on that.

You might have England's newest-qualified beer judge with you on 17th November at Chelmsford although I understand the first-time pass rate is pretty low so probably not...

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:57 pm

you're right you know - in terms of competition success, i would care much more for the conversation with the judges than an abstract acknowledgement. i'd also want to taste the other brews, which the organisers of sutton seem to be encouraging!
Are the Chelmsford Sheddites sending an entry into the inter-group challenge at the Derby festival? CBA will pay postage on that.
I shall see if the people attending want to play - I do!
You might have England's newest-qualified beer judge with you on 17th November at Chelmsford although I understand the first-time pass rate is pretty low so probably not...
what can I infer from that? :D I've got a couple of options but both are two exciting to speculate upon!

BeerBloke
CBA Prizewinner 2008

Post by BeerBloke » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:35 pm

Gurgeh wrote:I quite fancy gaining some experience in comps...

I've got in-laws in carshalton, which is handy BUT 17th November is first meet of the chelmsford 'shed brewers'. so can't be there.

Gurgeh.

I'll be attending Sutton once again as helper/steward/dogsbody so will be more than happy to take any beer along for anyone who can get it to me. Just let me know!
What's so unpleasant about being drunk? Ask a glass of water!

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:48 pm

what can I infer from that? Very Happy I've got a couple of options but both are two exciting to speculate upon!
Don't get excited. I've just sat the judges' theory exam and if I scrape a pass will be tackling the practical on the last weekend on October. I hope to join you in Chelmsford!

cheers

d.

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:20 am

That's superb! :D

BeerBloke
CBA Prizewinner 2008

Post by BeerBloke » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:00 am

*Bump*

This is next weekend so I'm re-offering my offer to transport any beers people want to enter from the south Essex area.

I work in Basildon and live in Mayland (near Maldon.)

Drop me a line or give me a ring (07775 577982)
What's so unpleasant about being drunk? Ask a glass of water!

Burner

Post by Burner » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:43 am

I might have to drag my carcass along to this it is ten minutes drive away!!!

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:57 am

I have a beer I want to enter, but can't get down there. If anyone is going and will pass Blackpool, or lives near to Blackpool so I can drop off a Keg and collect it again, it would be appreciated . . .Oh theres a couple of beers in it for you :D

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:00 pm

SiHoltye, Beerbloke, Burner, anyone else that's coming along - see you tomorrow and make sure you say hi. I'll be the one with the world's tallest man (and maybe a couple of SWMBOs) in tow 8)

eyeoftheduck

Post by eyeoftheduck » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:44 am

spearmint-wino wrote:SiHoltye, Beerbloke, Burner, anyone else that's coming along - see you tomorrow and make sure you say hi. I'll be the one with the world's tallest man (and maybe a couple of SWMBOs) in tow 8)
A couple of SWMBOs? What if they give conflicting orders?

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:15 am

I get carte blanche to ignore both :lol: :wink:

Nah, only one of them is mine. I'm not a masochist :shock: