Belfast beer festival

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
delboy

Post by delboy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:24 pm

Madbrewer wrote:
delboy wrote: The sarah hughes dark mild was great as was a bitter called TEA made by hogs back brewery i think.
TEA is a Hogs Back beer and one of my favorites. Made with that Hook Norton yeast I use so liberally in my brews :D. I used one of Norms recipes to replicate it recently first effort was nice but not spot on - am fermenting a second effort at the moment ...... ....
Let me know who it comes out, i'd be very interested in a recipe for this.

Again this brew had the toffee like taste that i so like in fullers, am i right in guessing that this is at least in part down to diacetyl production with this yeast.

Dunlambert

Post by Dunlambert » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Had a great time there on Saturday myself. I tried and liked the Hogs Back Tea. I was looking forward to trying the SH Dark Mild, but when I asked if it would be on I was told its was well gone :cry:

Got there at just after 12 and stayed all day untill the close, so Sunday was a bit of a slow day. Looking forward to next year now.

Spotted in the local paper that the Ulster Hall refurb wouldnt be finished untill December 08 so it might be the Kings Hall again next year.

delboy

Post by delboy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:12 pm

Dunlambert wrote:Had a great time there on Saturday myself. I tried and liked the Hogs Back Tea. I was looking forward to trying the SH Dark Mild, but when I asked if it would be on I was told its was well gone :cry:

Got there at just after 12 and stayed all day untill the close, so Sunday was a bit of a slow day. Looking forward to next year now.

Spotted in the local paper that the Ulster Hall refurb wouldnt be finished untill December 08 so it might be the Kings Hall again next year.
Wow, 12am to 11pm drinking thats some session DL, i thought i was going great guns drinking from 5.30 to 11 pm, managed to get through £25 quids worth of beer tokens, had a few of the two token 10 %ers on the way though :D

Beatnik69

Post by Beatnik69 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Dunlambert wrote:Had a great time there on Saturday myself. I tried and liked the Hogs Back Tea. I was looking forward to trying the SH Dark Mild, but when I asked if it would be on I was told its was well gone :cry:

You weren't the lad losing his dinner into the rubbish bin at the bar end of the games/books table come the end of the night were you? :lol:

Dunlambert

Post by Dunlambert » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:31 pm

You weren't the lad losing his dinner into the rubbish bin at the bar end of the games/books table come the end of the night were you?
LOL, no I must of missed that. I never normaly make it that late into the evening session so I must of paced myself better this year. The day just really seemed to fly by.

On another note I was at the Belfast market infront of the city hall on Saturday. The Hilden brewery have their own bar setup there serving a few Ales. Their Scullion one was very nice as was the College Brewery Chocolate Stout.

If you read this Delboy I asked the guy there about buying grain. He said they are using Maris Otter again now. If I remember correctly didnt they supply you with some larger malt ? He did say they had to use that for a while.

delboy

Post by delboy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Dunlambert wrote:
You weren't the lad losing his dinner into the rubbish bin at the bar end of the games/books table come the end of the night were you?
LOL, no I must of missed that. I never normaly make it that late into the evening session so I must of paced myself better this year. The day just really seemed to fly by.

On another note I was at the Belfast market infront of the city hall on Saturday. The Hilden brewery have their own bar setup there serving a few Ales. Their Scullion one was very nice as was the College Brewery Chocolate Stout.

If you read this Delboy I asked the guy there about buying grain. He said they are using Maris Otter again now. If I remember correctly didnt they supply you with some larger malt ? He did say they had to use that for a while.
Yeah they used to use lager malt only, they have a new brewer from england working with them, maybe he managed to convince them that it might be a good idea to use what is regarded as one of the best malts in the world for some of their beers.
I actually bought two sacks of MO from them just a few weeks ago (has fairly shot up in price from £18 a sack to £28). They also have lager malt as well, i presume for making their belfast blonde.

mooj
Hollow Legs

Post by mooj » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Schiehallion on cask I see, well worth checking out, the best lager I have ever tried. 8)