The Spring Thing - Homebrew Festival and Competition

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
eskimobob

The Spring Thing - Homebrew Festival and Competition

Post by eskimobob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Before anyone gets concerned, I've already cleared this with Jim and he's very kindly said we can post here; we're all one big brewing community afterall 8) - perhaps we could organise a giant get together with JBK and THBF sometime :D

This will be the third year we have organised this event and it is getting bigger each year. You can read full details here but to give you a brief overview here is a copy of a flier.

We're expecting to have at least 5 beer engines on the communal homebrew bar along with additional Dalex taps and bottles as well as Wine and Cider too. Looks like being a great weekend, hope to see you there :D

BiddulphBrewer

Re: The Spring Thing - Homebrew Festival and Competition

Post by BiddulphBrewer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Wow, 30 minutes down the road, I reckon I will be paying a visit

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:57 pm

BiddulphBrewer wrote:Wow, 30 minutes down the road, I reckon I will be paying a visit
Blimey you are close - look forward to seeing you 8)

If you fancy a hog roast for lunch, you need to pay for that in advance. If you'd like to enter a beer (kit or all grain) or wine, you'd be very welcome and should get some useful feedback from the National Guild of Wine and Beer Judges. Again you'd need to enter it in advance.

Although you are close, you may even like to camp over and make the most of the communal bar - no doubt that will go on well into the small hours!

BiddulphBrewer

Post by BiddulphBrewer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Ok, so in principal, I'm in for it all, now just to persuade the wife. Maybe I can dress this up as a dry run for our new Glastonbury tent. I also better get the pen and paper out if there is a competition. I'm really only a novice with AG but I've got the bug. I'm thinking a big american hopped pale ale and maybe a silky smooth and sweet oat ridden stout. At least that's what I'm thinking..... in reality, I better get practicing :-)

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 pm

BiddulphBrewer wrote:Ok, so in principal, I'm in for it all, now just to persuade the wife. Maybe I can dress this up as a dry run for our new Glastonbury tent. I also better get the pen and paper out if there is a competition. I'm really only a novice with AG but I've got the bug. I'm thinking a big american hopped pale ale and maybe a silky smooth and sweet oat ridden stout. At least that's what I'm thinking..... in reality, I better get practicing :-)
Having been to both previous events I can assure you don't worry about being a novice, the first year the standard bitter class was won by someone entering his 1st AG. The important thing is you will get an honest appraisal from the judges then other brewers can sample your beer and hopefully give positive advice as well.

BiddulphBrewer

Post by BiddulphBrewer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Sounds great Dennis, I'd really appreciate some honest feedback. Amongst my pals a few of them appreciate proper ale, but they are very encouraging shall we say as they are good friends. It'd be good to get an objective opinion. When is the deadline etc for entering and how do you do it?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:49 pm

All you need to know Here

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Quick update on this as we're getting very close - just 36 days to go :D

We've got:
a) the All Grain demonstration which is being given by Aleman on behalf of the Craft Brewing Association - this starts at 10am on the Saturday.

b) an equipment modification workshop hosted by Chris Nelson

c) a 10 metre by 4 metre marquee to house the homebrew bar which will have 4 beer engines and 8 dalex taps

d) the competition (10 categories available) with the following entries:
5 x AG Ordinary Bitter
7 x AG Special/Premium Bitter
1 x AG Dark Mild
4 x AG Indian Pale Ale
2 x AG Dry Stout
3 x AG American Pale Ale
8 x AG Speciality
7 x Kit (Bitter, Lager, Stout)
6 x Wine - Country, Kit, cordial or juice wines (White, Amber or Blush)
2 x Wine - Country, Kit, cordial or juice wines (Rosé to Red)
We're still expecting more as the deadline gets closer =D>

There are currently 55 people staying overnight on Friday, 59 people staying overnight on Saturday with more attending during the day on Saturday.

If anyone is planning to come but not yet booked, here are the closing dates:
Glasses - 15th April
Polo Shirts - 19th April
Fleeces - 19th April
Pint Tags - 25th April
Bar Runners - 25th April
Competition entries - 26th April 2013
Meat & Potato Pie - 1st May
Cheese & Onion Pie - 1st May
Booking Tent Pitches - 6th May
Booking Caravan Pitches - 6th May
Booking People Staying overnight - 6th May

Looks forward to seeing you 8)

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:48 am

We now have 107 brews entered in the competition! - If you are still thinking about entering, please note that the last day to enter a brew is this Friday (26th April).

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:22 am

Where is it? I cant acces the link on my wortk PC....

:)

Cheers!

Guy
8)

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 am

Manx Guy wrote:Where is it? I cant acces the link on my wortk PC....
:)
Cheers!
Guy
8)
The competition is being held in Hixon (near Stafford). It is possible to enter the competition even if not attending in person providing you are happy posting your brews. The competition is being judged by the NGWBJ.

We have taken over the grounds of a pub for the weekend and currently have 66 people camping on Friday rising to 74 people camping on Saturday with quite a few more coming along just for the day on Saturday. As well as the competition, we have Aleman of the CBA giving an all grain brewing demonstration, a hog roast, a sausage sizzle BBQ, an equipment conversion workshop etc...

Entries currently stand at:
11 x AG Ordinary Bitter
21 x AG Special/Premium Bitter
6 x AG Dark Mild
10 x AG Indian Pale Ale
8 x AG Dry Stout
5 x AG American Pale Ale
20 x AG Speciality
11 x Kit (Bitter, Lager, Stout)
9 x Wine - Country, Kit, cordial or juice wines (White, Amber or Blush)
6 x Wine - Country, Kit, cordial or juice wines (Rosé to Red)

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:14 am

Hmm.

I have a nice Special Bitter (Hoppy Pale 4.5%) that I can enter, Can I send Plastic (PET Brown) Bottles?
Posting from the ISland is a bit of a pain...
I'm happy to post the receipe, as its already in the public domain(brew day on this forum)... ;)

Cheers!

Guy

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 am

Manx Guy wrote:Hmm.
I have a nice Special Bitter (Hoppy Pale 4.5%) that I can enter, Can I send Plastic (PET Brown) Bottles?
Posting from the ISland is a bit of a pain...
I'm happy to post the receipe, as its already in the public domain(brew day on this forum)... ;)
Cheers!
Guy
The judges are usually not keen on them but considering where you are posting from and the costs involved for you, we can make an exception :beer:

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 pm

We're now up to 133 competition entries :pink:

Just 24 hours until we close for further entries :D

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:04 am

Entries to the competition are now closed with a final total of 140 brews - well done on getting involved and making this our biggest event to date =D>