Jim's Northeast Brewer's Night.

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
Eric
Even further under the Table

Jim's Northeast Brewer's Night.

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:45 am

We want new and young blood as well as regulars at the next meeting in the chartroom on Monday January 26th from 7:00pm in Fitzgerald's, Green Terrace, Sunderland.
At 8:00 there will be a presentation by Cullercoats Brewery. I will be there about 7:45pm.
See you there for a good and profitable evening.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

woblylegs
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Jim's Northeast Brewer's Night.

Post by woblylegs » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:48 am

come on lads. the more the merrier. its a nice bar with a good selection on tap and a good bit of crack. :)
lifes what you make it!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:02 am

That's in my diary. :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:28 pm

I have a feeling my dentist is going to want to whip out one of my wisdom teeth about then but if I escape I will try and make it down.
What do the breweries usually do for these presentations out of interest?

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:27 pm

f00b4r wrote:I have a feeling my dentist is going to want to whip out one of my wisdom teeth about then but if I escape I will try and make it down.
What do the breweries usually do for these presentations out of interest?
Please come if you can, I'm sure a bit of wise selection might speed your recovery.

Usually there is a bit of history and projection for the business and anything the brewer wants to talk about, followed by chance for us to ask some questions.
They hopefully supply a few bits and pieces such as beers and tee-shirts of which we tend to take home more than a fair share.

It's a good night, not a booze-up.

Look forward to seeing you there.
Eric.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:23 am

Have a great time, I so wish I could be there. The Cullercoats website explains how they use an authentic, open fermented, top-cropped English ale yeast. Can you ask him which particular strain it is, and to share a little more about his fermentation process?

Cheers!
-Seymour

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:22 am

seymour wrote:Have a great time, I so wish I could be there. The Cullercoats website explains how they use an authentic, open fermented, top-cropped English ale yeast. Can you ask him which particular strain it is, and to share a little more about his fermentation process?

Cheers!
-Seymour
Yes I will, many thanks for the information and pointer. I too would like you to come.
Their beers are good and their pump clips display they donate 3 pence to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution for every pint sold.
Get your flight booked, there's more than beer to find.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Well looks like I will be seeing you there tomorrow after all :D

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:38 pm

f00b4r wrote:Well looks like I will be seeing you there tomorrow after all :D
Excellent news, looking forward to meeting. Suppose you know where the venue is, so if you go in by the front door turn immediately right to go down a few steps into the Chart Room. We have recently been sitting behind the barrier to your right at the bottom of the stairs under the TV. I'll be there about 7:45 although the 5% discount starts from 7:00 and if you get there first, keep us a seat.

Any more for tomorrow night?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:44 pm

I haven't been there before although their Newcastle pubs are usually where i go for a pint, it is only just a few minutes walk from the metro so I shouldn't get lost.
It will probably be about 7:30 by the time i get there but will grab you a seat if I am first; Jim should be easy to spot because of the photo on the site :D

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 pm

f00b4r wrote:I haven't been there before although their Newcastle pubs are usually where i go for a pint, it is only just a few minutes walk from the metro so I shouldn't get lost.
It will probably be about 7:30 by the time i get there but will grab you a seat if I am first; Jim should be easy to spot because of the photo on the site :D
Yes, if you get off at the interchange (Park Lane) it's less than 5 minutes walk. If you're there at 7:30 sit yourself under the TV and we'll find you. Just shout "I'm from Newcastle" if you want to get to know everybody before we come. It's a great pub.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:17 pm

Eric wrote:
f00b4r wrote:If you're there at 7:30 sit yourself under the TV and we'll find you. Just shout "I'm from Newcastle" if you want to get to know everybody before we come. It's a great pub.
Isn't that the same thing you are meant to shout at local derbies when getting tickets at the wrong end? :=P

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Just because you have the Bigg Market doesn't mean you have the monopoly for high jinx. :D
The pub's quite cosmopolitan really, the manager, Matt, is from "darn souf", but we speak.
See you tomorrow.

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Looking forward to tonight.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:06 am

Another grand night which I'm sure would have been better with more Newcastle support.
seymour wrote:Have a great time, I so wish I could be there. The Cullercoats website explains how they use an authentic, open fermented, top-cropped English ale yeast. Can you ask him which particular strain it is, and to share a little more about his fermentation process?

Cheers!
-Seymour
Either he didn't know or didn't want to tell. He tried six strains from Brewlab in the same recipe and the one he kept was by the opinions of those asked, head and shoulders in the lead. His beers were good, all done to Murphy and Son recommendations using AMS (CRS) and DWB as well as discreet additions of calcium chloride flake and gypsum after water analysis at 2 year intervals.

The yeast has been going at the brewery since a year gone March, recycled with regular checks of samples by Brewlab who confirm his sanitation has kept it clear from contamination. However, he says it is now exhibiting different characteristics, such that it must start at a higher temperature if it is to function as it did. His plans are to get Brewlab to replace the yeast while ceremoniously performing the last rites with his current mutant flock by pitching them into a destined 10% Barley Wine which will, after their journey to Eternity, be completed by a Champagne yeast. I didn't think of it at the time, but there can only be one name for such a brew, Valhalla.

Now comes a difficult bit, a phial of that yeast is sat on top of my piano and when I've finished this it will go in the refrigerator. About 35 years ago I tried to get products I'd made to sell in the US of A, it was the most impossible thing I've ever found. If you PM me with instructions I'll try again to cross your barriers with an agar slant.