The great irish beer festival

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
delboy

The great irish beer festival

Post by delboy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:05 pm

Any of the emerald isle lads on here heard about or is planning on going to the great irish beer festival in galway, october 20th.

I might be tempted to kill two birds with the one stone, visit some friends and go to this festival.

Not much info on the website though and some of the beers on the preliminary list seem a bit strange 'stella artois' for one :wacko:

great irish beer festival

AT

Post by AT » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Yea i bought tickets for it yesterday :D i'll be in Galway at a stag party on the 19th so it would be a crime not to go :lol: Yea Stella is a funny one, i personally would rather drink water

niall

Post by niall » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:08 pm

I thought the selection might be a little on the light side when I saw the title.
naughty :lol: Thankfully there is a small number of microbreweries who have been established over the last 10 years and awareness is slowly increasing. In contrast to the UK regional breweries in Ireland had long since disappeared as they were swallowed up by the big brewers many moons ago. Any event like this will help the mini revival.

We've been discussing this event over on irishcraftbrewer. The title of the festival is 'aspirational' to say the least and it doesn't look like too many of the microbreweries will be in attendance. Having said that it's the first year so if the public turn out is good I would hope the usual suspects and some others will have stands next year. There will be a few of us going along delboy but I don't think it will have the range of the Hilden or Franciscan Well this year. Might not be worth travelling from Belfast to be honest but if you're making the trip let us know.

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:17 pm

Hey anything that can start to address the Irish mono beer culture has to be a good thing and well worth supporting by the locals.
And on the website I do like this:
Responsible Drinking

With an emphasis on beer appreciation, the festival is not the place to go overboard. Please pace yourself as anyone found to be intoxicated will have to enter the Great Irish Beer Festival Sin Bin until they sober up!
[/b]

AT

Post by AT » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:48 pm

DaaB wrote:
and it doesn't look like too many of the microbreweries will be in attendance.
You guys should be onto them for that, that's just plain stupid if they wont support a local beer festival. I reckon a standard letter on the ICB forum that can be printed off, signed and posted by all members to all parties might be enough to prick their collective consciences, any one who chooses not to play the game deserves to fail imo. Why should anyone support them if all they want to do is take your money and not give anything back in return.
I think you'll find the micros were not given enough notice to prepare for it, i think the organisers had problems with insurance and licensing. Could end up been a rush job but hopefully it will go off okay on the day

niall

Post by niall » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:52 pm

As far as I'm aware all the micros and other suppliers were informed at the same time, a bit late in the day as AT says. It also comes around the same time as other more established events. I'm sure the brewery attendance will be better next year if this year's event is a success.

Beatnik69

Re: The great irish beer festival

Post by Beatnik69 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:14 pm

delboy wrote:Any of the emerald isle lads on here heard about or is planning on going to the great irish beer festival in galway, october 20th.

I might be tempted to kill two birds with the one stone, visit some friends and go to this festival.

Not much info on the website though and some of the beers on the preliminary list seem a bit strange 'stella artois' for one :wacko:

great irish beer festival
A bit far for me to go Del. I think I'll just wait for the Belfast Beer Festival in November. 8)

delboy

Re: The great irish beer festival

Post by delboy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:48 pm

Beatnik69 wrote: A bit far for me to go Del. I think I'll just wait for the Belfast Beer Festival in November. 8)
I'll be there :D, be sure and get there on the friday thats when all the good stuff is on the go.

Looks like im going to head down to the galway festival as well.

subsub

Post by subsub » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Just booked my ticket. Coincides with a holiday we're having. Showing the missus my island :D

delboy

Post by delboy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:55 pm

subsub wrote:Just booked my ticket. Coincides with a holiday we're having. Showing the missus my island :D
Nice one, don't think i'll be able to make it now, my dad has to go in for serious sugery in the next few weeks so i'll probably give this a miss so im close at hand.

AT

Post by AT » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:10 pm

Sorry to hear about you dad delboy, hope he has a speedy recovery

niall

Post by niall » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:43 am

Best of luck to your dad Del

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:37 am

Cheers lads

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:42 am

Delboy, I wish your dad a speedy recovery.

Beatnik69

Post by Beatnik69 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:07 am

Hope all goes well for the oul' fella Del.