Brewday

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Brewday

Post by WalesAles » Fri May 06, 2016 8:36 pm

Bunglebrewsbeer wrote:They are in a bag full of marbles to hopefully keep the rascals from floating about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bungle,
You better check on your floating bag of hops! :D
I just took out 47.2gr wet hops weighted with a bag of marbles and they were floating. One bag of marbles normally
holds down 50gr! I should have used my BIG bag of decorative glass beads / glass pebbles from Dunelm! :D :D
Very Posh!

WA

Sent from my Laptop with my cat Lilly sitting next to me.

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:45 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Bunglebrewsbeer wrote:They are in a bag full of marbles to hopefully keep the rascals from floating about.

Bungle,
You better check on your floating bag of hops! :D
I just took out 47.2gr wet hops weighted with a bag of marbles and they were floating. One bag of marbles normally
holds down 50gr! I should have used my BIG bag of decorative glass beads / glass pebbles from Dunelm! :D :D
Very Posh!

WA

Sent from my Laptop with my cat Lilly sitting next to me.
Nah not that posh! now Barker and StoneHouse that would be posh

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Sat May 07, 2016 8:36 am

I've not even looked. Nothing I can do now anyway.

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:40 am

Im stealing this one today :lol:

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat May 07, 2016 8:46 am

Give this method a go. Been doing it this way for over 15 brews.

Get a long fine filter bag off ebay: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291336856288

Dry hop loose, even pellets. Then when you transfer put the filter bag over the end of the syphon tube (in the FV).

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Sat May 07, 2016 6:50 pm

I use a tap on FV. When I did I kit ages ago that I had to do that on the tap got clogged up when I came to empty it.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Sat May 07, 2016 6:51 pm

stevej383 wrote:Im stealing this one today :lol:
What you stealing? The recipe?

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun May 08, 2016 7:32 am

Bungle, I've seen munich malt appear in quite a few recipes recently. Do you know what it adds to the beer?

wfr42

Post by wfr42 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:46 am

BenB wrote:Nice! Like the semi transparent FV.... I miss my transparent FVs. I bought some about 20 years ago from the homebrew shop up in Nottingham when I was university. They sat in my garage for 20 years being sprayed with angle grinder dust so weren't up to much when I started brewing again. Can I find some nice transparent (plastic) FVs? Nope. End up peering at a mostly opaque white FV to work out the wort/foam level from the outside.....
I've just acquired two while putting together a starter kit for a friends birthday from gumtree (one purchase and one freebie ad).
Toying with converting them or my year old youngs FV into a mash/lauter tun, but part of the reason I BIAB is a lack of space. If you're near Edinburgh (although up in Nottingham doesn't sound like it) I could do you a swap for a bottle or two.

Sorry for the hijack bungle

BigMouth
Steady Drinker

Post by BigMouth » Sun May 08, 2016 7:51 am

Hi Alex,
I replaced crystal with munich a year or two back in recipes. You don't get the caramel sweetness of crystal and it's a lot lighter in colour than most crystals. Has a delicious smoother maltiness imho. However, rather than seeing munich as a direct replacement for crystal think, no crystal as I don't want toffee but Id like to mix up my base malt a little.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun May 08, 2016 8:20 am

Cheers, I'll have to get some with my next order. Up until now I've only been using MO with a touch of crystal and in 1 I did add some Torrefied Wheat as well, to aid head retention.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Sun May 08, 2016 8:45 am

I have tended to use Munich a small amount of pane crystal and torrified wheat in most of my American peles. Not sure exactly what it does but know I've enjoyed that mix of grains of late. Think the above may help with your description. I'm liking torrified wheat since starting adding that.

BigMouth
Steady Drinker

Post by BigMouth » Sun May 08, 2016 8:54 am

My last two were American Pale ales. Both with the same grain bill - 5kg MO, 250g munich and 100 tw.
I chuck in a bit of torrified wheat as the bloke in hb shop told me he does it for head retention a few years back.
I only add a handful of wheat as too much may lead to haziness but then again i've made MO only beers that have perfect heads.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun May 08, 2016 9:07 am

Yea I know what you mean. I've made pale ales with just MO and even though they taste great, with a good head, they seem to lack that something that crystal and TW bring.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Tue May 10, 2016 3:00 pm

Well it's in. Set at 5° and PSI 12 so all being well I hope to be drinking a carbed up pale on Saturday. Fingers crossed!!