Brewing Like Americans: Cascadian and Amber Ales (PIC HEAVY)

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
far9410
Even further under the Table

Re: Brewing Like Americans: Cascadian and Amber Ales (PIC HE

Post by far9410 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 pm

mind blowing
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

ChuckE

Post by ChuckE » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:20 am

Add a lazy dog, banjo music and a shotgun.... you're there.

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:04 am

pdtnc wrote:I see that first recipe used up everything you had odds and ends of!! :D
Not so much using up as throwing it all in... Think the only thing we used up was the crystal rye actually! The second recipe INCLUDES all of the first (it was one mash between two boils) but has cold extract grains as well, the same Simcoe hopping schedule but different flavour/aroma hops.

We figured what could be more easily accused of over-complicating a process than the continuous hopping schedule - inspired by Dogfish Head's 60 minute IPA:
Dogfish Head uses a device to slowly add a measured amount of hops over time into the boil rather than adding the whole addition at once. This is a good brew to have a buddy handy to toss in the hops, pre-measured in their own dish, throughout the boil. It is a good technique and the commercial example of this beer is one of my very favorite IPAs.
http://www.brew365.com/beer_dogfish_hea ... te_ipa.php
Though we balked at building a Zopinator or read the (PDF) we hoped using the digits of Pi for the additions would compensate with some complication points and then used the FIbanacci sequence for Citra and Triangular Numbers for Ahtanum as progressively increasing number sequences emphasising aroma/flavour additions...

ChuckE: the shotgun was off camera (would get us in trouble over here), Banjo Music was playing - a little Hank Williams III while setting up
(top vids: Dick in Dixie and the more trad/less offensive Country Heroes).

Dog was too Lazy to come on Camera ;-)

filet o fish

Post by filet o fish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:12 am

YEEEE , and indeed HAAAA !

Shadowknight
Piss Artist

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:35 am

I'm just waiting for the 'Brew like a Roman' brewday, and am just sad? glad? there is no record of cavemen brewing. Fascinating and entertaining stuff. :)
Needs more Cowbell.

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 am

From what I've read it seems that the Romans were more into wine. Brewing like Celts or Vikings (if you want to go a bit later) could be done, especially since spelt seems to be gettable at the moment

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Cascadian racked into a pressure barrel and into the fridge to try and stop the US05 going too low. Gravity 1010 @ 18*C

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Oh, you dudes are just scary. For some reason, this tread reminds me of the movie "Deliverance" which frankly was very disturbing (and you will know what I'm talking about if you ever see it). Anyhow, it's nice to see that some of our brewing practices are filtering the other way across the pond. Hopefully, the beer you guys made will be to your liking. By the way, I am very interested in how the cold extraction thing works out with the roasted grains, I have never tried that technique. I would probably just use the debittered Carafa, I would love to hear the pros and cons of your technique.

It is always interesting to me to see what the impression Americans leave on folks from other countries. I know when the television show "Dallas" was on, people thought that all Texans walked the streets with ten gallon hats and cowboy boots with a six shooter on our hips. Most Texans do have those items (as do I) but I rarely wear them. You see that stuff over in Ft. Worth but almost never in Dallas, I guess we are way too cool for that (whatever). Anyhow, nice pictures, I must admit that I have never gotten into costume to brew.
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 pm

You both have far too many teeth, i.e. you have teeth, to be American rednecks, maybe work with some boot polish next time for added orthenteecity n stuff.

Brilliant :) quite a production :) well done.

bosium
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by bosium » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Lol, you nutters!

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:21 pm

I hope the beer turns out well. I truly appreciate the extra effort on the costume with the farmer tan.
Didn't you just love the smell and sound of those gas burners!
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Mon May 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Back from Belgium trip :-D

Racked off pale citra today to pressure barrel to clear (and may yet dry hop) before going to Cornie.

Smells and tastes AMAZING - passion fruit piled on passion fruit in smell and taste.

Down to 1.006 giving 90% apparent attenuation and 7.2% ABV - US-05 doing it's thing and leaving this one VERY American!

Spent today making a much-lower gravity (1.036) English pale ale with Riwaka from one of Critch's recipes.

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Mon May 02, 2011 8:27 pm

YOU'V GOT A PRETTY MOUTH BOYZ

U S A U S A =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 pm

That's bloody brilliant. :lol:

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Sat May 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Dropped from pressure barrel secondary into a corny on Wed 4th May, gravity 1010 (temp adjusted) which is unchanged but there was plenty of pressure in the barrel which seems odd given the temp drop, I guess I was wrong on one of the readings...

Thought I heard USA USA from the fridge on sunday night, must be hearing things :D