Ist All Grain brew questions

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Ist All Grain brew questions

Post by orlando » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi All,

Am expecting to do my first AG brew this week :? I have read Graham Wheeler's book and John Palmer's How To Brew. Struck by some differences in the techniques and would like a consensus view from you guys.

1) 1 hour mash V 90 minutes
2) Water first v grain first.

Also, tips on using a plate chiller without pumps. Links to pictures if possible as I follow written instructions poorly.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kev888

Re: Ist All Grain brew questions

Post by Kev888 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi,
1) Doesn't matter much, both make good beer and not much happens in 90mins that doesn't happen in 60mins of mashing, but 90mins makes more certain. Similar for the boil: until you're experienced and know how the boil should go then 90mins is probably safest to ensure you get a good hot break.
2) Again, both work; I'd say water first is safest to begin with as you can mess about with kettles and wotnot for as long as you need to get the strike temperature right - if you get things wrong with the grains already in you have more of a problem. (Theres a strike temperature calculator here)

Can't help very much on the gravity plate chiller.. but make sure you have a decently fine hop filter to stop it clogging

The very best of luck!!

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Cant add a lot to what Kev said but I've allways went for 60 minute mash and boil, purely because I'm always pushed for time.
I'm not saying it's better or worse, but it will make beer.

+1 on water 1st

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Water 1st helps warm the mash tun!

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:18 am

Swings and roundabouts tbh. The difference between a 60 min boil or mash and 90min is negligible. So aim for 60. However if your strike temp is a little low for example an extra half hour in the tun could be your saving grace. I regularly end up mashing for nearly 2hrs forgetting to switch on the hlt for sparging etc. Id heighly recommend a hot break on your boil that takes around half hour before hop addition. actually boiling hops for more than 60 minutes has very little extract increase.

Always water first and pre-heat the tun. By doughing in gradually you will avoid having lumps of dry grain and dead spots in the corners and around your manifold.

Palmer FTW

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks everyone, makes all the difference to know there is always help at hand to get you going.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:45 pm

It's how we learnt :) homebrewing would be pretty pants if it wasn't for the internet