Breaking My AG Duck (Now with pictures - see page 2)

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
J_P

Post by J_P » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:06 pm

DaveK wrote:one question are you pouring the hot wort into the fermentor airate and to start the cooling process?
That was the idea Dave, I was doing it that way round as the chiller wouldn't reach the wort in the boiler, plus I didn't want any drips of hosepipe water getting into my precious wort. What is hot side aeration? Is it catching :lol: ? Should I be worried?
ColinKeb wrote:well done , looks like it went really well
Cheers Colin it was pretty painless in the end - I think the Barefoot brewery will be firing up again at the weekend - it should give me enough time to decide what I'm brewing :lol:

J_P

Post by J_P » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Just checked on the baby and found a lovely head of yeast on it, it smells really soft and biscuity, less harsh than some of the kits I'm used to brewing

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:16 pm

For a beer that you aren't storing for an extended period of time I don't think hot side aeration is a big worry.

That being said I still try and minimize my exposure. There are reports of guys aerating the heck out of their wort and still producing fine beer.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

I seem to recall a post on Northern Brewer where somebody aerated the crap out of their wort and found no impact on the beer until months (was it 3 or so?) later then the beer went down hill.

Hot side aeration and its impact is still widely debated.

It is relatively low on the list of things to be concerned with in my opinion but it is relatively easy to avoid as well.

J_P

Post by J_P » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:20 pm

3 months? I don't think it will last that long so no worries there! :lol:

That said it can't hurt to get a bit of tubing and run it straight into the bottom of the fermenter though

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:41 pm

J_P wrote:
Cheers Colin it was pretty painless in the end - I think the Barefoot brewery will be firing up again at the weekend - it should give me enough time to decide what I'm brewing :lol:
you do realise this is it now..youre addicted .. there is no turning back :shock: :lol:

J_P

Post by J_P » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:50 pm

ColinKeb wrote:you do realise this is it now..youre addicted .. there is no turning back :shock: :lol:
I've been a serious beer lover for a good few years now so I guess making my own was the next logical step and AG was the next step after that.

Plus being half Yorkshire (read tightwad) the fact that I could knock out a quality brew using grain for less than the cost of a single can kit really appealed to me.

Brace yourself though J_P taking to AG brewing can mean only one thing - a shed load more dumb questions :lol: :lol:

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 pm

A lovely clean yeast head there J_P 8)

J_P

Post by J_P » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:58 pm

Vossy1 wrote:A lovely clean yeast head there J_P 8)
More good luck than good management!

itmustbemagic

Post by itmustbemagic » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:45 am

Well done on your first AG from one Gazebo brewer to another!

DaveK

Post by DaveK » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:18 pm

iowalad wrote:For a beer that you aren't storing for an extended period of time I don't think hot side aeration is a big worry.

That being said I still try and minimize my exposure. There are reports of guys aerating the heck out of their wort and still producing fine beer.

I seem to recall a post on Northern Brewer where somebody aerated the crap out of their wort and found no impact on the beer until months (was it 3 or so?) later then the beer went down hill.

Hot side aeration and its impact is still widely debated.

It is relatively low on the list of things to be concerned with in my opinion but it is relatively easy to avoid as well.

I personally never worried about Hot Side Ariation untill I heard it existed. But I tend to be more cautious now, but that could be said for all my brewing processes now. I probably wouldnt sanitize if I didnt know I had to. (but I am Lazy).

Recalling the www.basicbrewingradio.com podcast archives Nov 2nd 06 edition. They were fairly inconclusive on the effects of HSA in their beers or at least the extent of the flavour effects (from memory, I think they had sanitization problems as well). Id recommend this Podcast as a good source of information though.

J_P

Post by J_P » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:39 pm

The yeasty head on the brew has started to break up so I have done a quick gravity check and it's down to 1014 already! Which makes it 4.8% ABV :shock: and I reckon it'll still have a little way to go yet.

One to be careful with methinks

J_P

Post by J_P » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:33 am

Update - I cracked last night and tried a 500ml bottle of this brew. Boy was I impressed it was clean crisp with a slight caramel taste the hops need another week or two to mellow and it needs to carbonate a bit more but this one is a keeper!

I have been reading a few TTL threads where folks have been debating the colour of the clones, I drink a fair amount of bottled TTL and I can say that this is a pretty good colour match.

I'll be tucking into my mini mash next week I'll post an update on that too.

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:47 am

Good to hear, all grain brewing is really worth it :D

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Sounds like a winner!