no brew day..bloody bottle washing

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
andybiochem

Re: no brew day..bloody bottle washing

Post by andybiochem » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:52 am

My approach...

After pouring beer:
1) rinse bottle with water
2) squirt about 10mls starsan into bottle
3) stretch cling-film over the top of the bottle

On bottling day:
4) remove cling film & pour out starsan into a Vinator
5) all bottles put in dishwasher on highest setting
6) run through the vinator as bottles come out of the dishwasher & on to bottle tree

Bottles are then filled with a 'little bottler'.

The key really is to prevent any sort of crud forming in the bottle, so steps 1,2 & 3 are most important.
I know putting the bottles in the dishwasher won't clean the insides, but the bottles come out blisteringly hot so I'm assuming the heat will kill anything nasty that survived a month of starsan!

rydog

Post by rydog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:11 pm

[quote="pumblechook"][quote="timbo41"]
any suggestions on removing commercial labels welcomed,especiallly from thwaites bomber, as these are plentiful[/quote]

I use one of these when soaking won't do the trick on labels. I also brew wine and this has always dealt with the really sticky labels on wine bottles. The key is to go up and down the bottle, cutting thin slivers off the label, rather than than going across the bottle. You can clean a bottle with a stubborn label in under a minute easy.

Can't vouch for the website below btw, this is just the sort that I have.

[url]http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sta0 ... 590%20list[/url][/quote]

I find a brillo pad or similar works quite well for removing labels and glue.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Its been bottling day for me. My procedure has had no let downs so far.

1) drink beer
2) fill bottle 1/3 swirl and drain
3) fill bottle 1/3 swirl and drain
4) six squirts starsan while rotating bottle so interior is covered
5) place 10 pint bottles in Morrisons plastic bag, tie knot in bag and store. They are good bags. :)

Bottle day.

1) Cut open knot in bag
2) drain dregs from bottle
3) rinse with fresh starsan soloution in bottle tree, ensure to dip bottle neck.
4) fill with beer. Allow to condition.

DRINK LOVELY BUG FREE BEER

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: no brew day..bloody bottle washing

Post by zgoda » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Yesterday had cleaning session - 46 bottles washed with domestos, today is bottling day for my red lager. I love cornies so much...

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 am

I soaked some really stubborn labels in daz, just for an experiment. In the morning the glue had all but melted away. Just used a knife to scrape the remaining glue off. Still tedious but better than my previous attempts
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Will try that mozza cheers. And can't wait for next hbs visit...gotta starsan!!
Just like trying new ideas!

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:51 am

Be careful using washing detergent to soak your bottles. Make sure you rinse them incredibly well because that stuff will ruin the head of your beer.

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:01 pm

I agree, you can feel it on your hands after its very slippery stuff, and a bugger to get off. I soaked, then used a bottle brush and soapy water to clean inside. Then sterilised for a good hour with vwp before rinsing with cold water a good three times
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Jamie Mullen

Post by Jamie Mullen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 am

So, just to clarify what a lot of people have suggested above. Am I right in thinking if I move to Starsan and keep a spray bottle of the stuff made up in the kitchen, I can pour a beer from my Grolsch bottle, rinse it out under the tap then put a few sprays of Starsan in and seal the swing top? When I next use them just give them another rinse in Starsan and put them on my bottling tree (also sprayed with Starsan) then they're good to go? If this is right this could be the answer to my prayers. I've collected 15 crates full of Grolsch bottles as I'm looking to up my beer production/create a stockpile and I don't have the room or the funds to go down the corny keg and kegerator route yet. I like individual bottles but trying to rinse the smell of VWP away seems to take forever and uses loads of water.

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:11 am

Jamie Mullen wrote:So, just to clarify what a lot of people have suggested above. Am I right in thinking if I move to Starsan and keep a spray bottle of the stuff made up in the kitchen, I can pour a beer from my Grolsch bottle, rinse it out under the tap then put a few sprays of Starsan in and seal the swing top? When I next use them just give them another rinse in Starsan and put them on my bottling tree (also sprayed with Starsan) then they're good to go? If this is right this could be the answer to my prayers. I've collected 15 crates full of Grolsch bottles as I'm looking to up my beer production/create a stockpile and I don't have the room or the funds to go down the corny keg and kegerator route yet. I like individual bottles but trying to rinse the smell of VWP away seems to take forever and uses loads of water.
Yeah pretty much. Rinse with hot water. I'm curios about the rubber seals on a grolsch bottle though, because I'd be tempted to spray them as well. Just unsyre whether starsan would have any corrosive effect on them over time, although I doubt it
Just like trying new ideas!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:57 am

timbo41 wrote:
Jamie Mullen wrote:So, just to clarify what a lot of people have suggested above. Am I right in thinking if I move to Starsan and keep a spray bottle of the stuff made up in the kitchen, I can pour a beer from my Grolsch bottle, rinse it out under the tap then put a few sprays of Starsan in and seal the swing top? When I next use them just give them another rinse in Starsan and put them on my bottling tree (also sprayed with Starsan) then they're good to go? If this is right this could be the answer to my prayers. I've collected 15 crates full of Grolsch bottles as I'm looking to up my beer production/create a stockpile and I don't have the room or the funds to go down the corny keg and kegerator route yet. I like individual bottles but trying to rinse the smell of VWP away seems to take forever and uses loads of water.
Yeah pretty much. Rinse with hot water. I'm curios about the rubber seals on a grolsch bottle though, because I'd be tempted to spray them as well. Just unsyre whether starsan would have any corrosive effect on them over time, although I doubt it

As a pioneer of this technique I can assure you it is very effective at speeding up or cutting down the pain of bottling, it is not foolproof though. Even if you make sure you have thoroughly rinsed the bottle and sprayed with starsan I would not push it more than 3 times. Check the bottle against a decent light before refilling with beer, look for tell tale streaking on the inside, this denotes a bacterial growth. As for the rubbers on the Grolsch no problem, the rubber will perish over time but Starsan is more friend than enemy.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:28 am

Jamie Mullen wrote:. I like individual bottles but trying to rinse the smell of VWP away seems to take forever and uses loads of water.
Try one of these
https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-produc ... IgDjZVMv5o
Plus you will save loads of water
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:33 am

orlando wrote: As a pioneer of this technique I can assure you it is very effective at speeding up or cutting down the pain of bottling, it is not foolproof though. Even if you make sure you have thoroughly rinsed the bottle and sprayed with starsan I would not push it more than 3 times. Check the bottle against a decent light before refilling with beer, look for tell tale streaking on the inside, this denotes a bacterial growth. As for the rubbers on the Grolsch no problem, the rubber will perish over time but Starsan is more friend than enemy.
And over a short time too! Starsanning the lid of my FV corroded the airlock grommet within 3 or 4 brews and knackered the seals on at least 2 S30 valves. Now I rinse anything rubber after the Starsan.
Best wishes

Dave

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 am

Dave S wrote:
orlando wrote: As a pioneer of this technique I can assure you it is very effective at speeding up or cutting down the pain of bottling, it is not foolproof though. Even if you make sure you have thoroughly rinsed the bottle and sprayed with starsan I would not push it more than 3 times. Check the bottle against a decent light before refilling with beer, look for tell tale streaking on the inside, this denotes a bacterial growth. As for the rubbers on the Grolsch no problem, the rubber will perish over time but Starsan is more friend than enemy.
And over a short time too! Starsanning the lid of my FV corroded the airlock grommet within 3 or 4 brews and knackered the seals on at least 2 S30 valves. Now I rinse anything rubber after the Starsan.
Bloody hell Dave, I've used the stuff exclusively for years and never had the problems you describe and I have had the same kit. :shock:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:51 am

orlando wrote:
Dave S wrote:
Bloody hell Dave, I've used the stuff exclusively for years and never had the problems you describe and I have had the same kit. :shock:
I know, I was quite surprised myself, though it shouldn't be that surprising I suppose given that we are dealing with quite a hostile acid solution.
Best wishes

Dave