AG #47 Galaxy Delight

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
BrewerBen

Re: AG #47 Galaxy Delight

Post by BrewerBen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm

And with less of em without the 40g dry hop. But with the new recipe creator you could always put them back in. I think its a case getting them however you can and them making them last as Guiness have bought most of the crop.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:34 pm

BrewerBen wrote:And with less of em without the 40g dry hop. But with the new recipe creator you could always put them back in. I think its a case getting them however you can and them making them last as Guiness have bought most of the crop.
Originally this beer was not dry hopped and to be honest I think I prefer it without the dry hops.

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:50 am

Have you brewed it with a fruitier English yeast before? I used the gales yeast a few last year and found the best beer produced with it was the english but am expanding my yeast collection with WLP002 this year to maybe use the Gales for darker english ales and WLP002 for everything else.

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:44 am

I find that WY 1272 works well with Galaxy, but you need to use the hops late and in larger amounts. If you try to extract too much bitterness with a long boil, it's too harsh IMO.

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 am

BrewerBen wrote:Have you brewed it with a fruitier English yeast before? I used the gales yeast a few last year and found the best beer produced with it was the english but am expanding my yeast collection with WLP002 this year to maybe use the Gales for darker english ales and WLP002 for everything else.
WLP002 is the yeast I have used most for a number of years now so most of my galaxy brews have been with this yeast. I have also used WLP013 a few times and it's come out just as good.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Looks great - I've got a few ounces of 2015 Galaxy in the freezer and might just do this.
What fermentor is that? I've been looking for something a little shorter than my bucket, so I can fit it in an under-counter fridge and that looks perfect. What's the capacity? I assume 25-30l if you were doing a 25l batch?

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:01 pm

wally wrote:I find that WY 1272 works well with Galaxy, but you need to use the hops late and in larger amounts. If you try to extract too much bitterness with a long boil, it's too harsh IMO.
Totally agree about the use of hops. I also find giving it at least a month once in bottle or barrel mellows the beer, if you can leave it 3 months in the bottle it is at it's peak.