Cat on a hot tin roof

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Piscator

Cat on a hot tin roof

Post by Piscator » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:35 pm

I will be brewing this on Sunday so will update with picures etc then. This is a tweak on a recipe I have been working on over repeat brews - but the name is new following the last brewday............
Last time I brewed it everything was going exceptionally smoothly, right up until the point where I left the room for no more than 30 seconds having set up the HLT on the 3rd tier ready to sparge. I heard an almightly crash - some sounds I couldn't identify and as I rushed back to the bathroom met one of my cats exiting at speed looking distinctly bedraggled.
The scene that greeted me was one of utter chaos however looking more closely I figured out what had happened by following the trail of wet cat footprints. The cat had obviously jumped onto the top of the HLT which fell over dumping 5 gallons of hot liquor onto the floor - the cat had panicked and launched himself at the nearest thing at the same height which was the loo roll holder....... this muct have acted rather like a treadmill because most of the roll had sprialled onto the floor where it was turning into hot mush. To avoid the hot water now spreading over the floor he must have launched from there onto the side of the bath and from there out of the door where it met him. Meanwhile 5 gallons of hot lquor was busy making it's way through the ceiling into my sons room below :cry:

Not my best brew day - I did however clean up, make another batch of liquor and carried on =D>

So, on with the recipe........

Pale malt 88.4% 2501g
Chocolate malt 1.4% 38g
Flaked maize 5% 140g
Invert #3 5.3% 149g

Boil hops - 21 IBU WGV
Aroma hops (last 15 mins) 5 IBU Willamette
Dry hops - about 30g Willamette
OG - target 1.033
FG - target 1.007
Target volume in fermeter - 22ltrs
The #3 invert is a golden syrup/molasses blend.

Keep Calm
and
Carry on Brewing

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Re: Cat on a hot tin roof

Post by Chrissyr63 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:57 pm

hi Piscator

this isn't your play to get better brewing equipment\facilities is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0kDSth79uQ

do like the little look from the dog at the end!

Recipe looks nice - does this come out dry with that much fermentable adjunct or do you mash high to counter this ?

C

ps hope your cat isn't too spooked

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:38 am

Chrissyr63 wrote:hi Piscator

this isn't your play to get better brewing equipment\facilities is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0kDSth79uQ

do like the little look from the dog at the end!

Recipe looks nice - does this come out dry with that much fermentable adjunct or do you mash high to counter this ?

C

ps hope your cat isn't too spooked
He-He... I hadn't thought of that, but somehow don't think it would work. I was lucky that my better half was out at the time and didn't see the hot liquor raining through my sons bedroom ceiling :oops:

No, surprisingly it doesn't come out dry at all, in fact the best I could describe mouthfeel is like liquid velvet between about 3-6 weeks after which it is still good but past it's peak. It's important to keep carbonation fairly low - I aim for about 1.8 volumes of CO2 and to drink it fairly young. The syrup blend gives it a noticeably toffee note but is still part of the overall malt background. It's great if you want a tasty traditional English ale in a short time as it will ferment in a week and be ready to start in as little as a week if you really want - my cupboards are bare so it fits the bill perfectly.
The other thing I've found that makes a difference (probably the biggest impact) is getting the alklinity right and balancing the sulphate:chloride. I have a pretty high level of alkalinity which if not reduced results in high levels of astringency.

Thomas has recovered from the shock and I'm making sure he's well out of the way for the next brew.

Cheers
Steve

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:04 pm

Alkalinity tested - sparge liquor treated and re-tested.... we are in the zone.
Mineral additions weighed out
Grain weighed out
Syrup/molasses weighed out and blended
Hops weighed out

Cats all accounted for and safely shut out of brewing area :mrgreen:

See you in the morning...........

bquiggerz

Post by bquiggerz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Can't wait to hear how it went

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:51 am

Doughed in and resting at a comfortable 66C

For anyone interested...... alkalinity was adjusted from 165ppm to 30ppm, in terms of minerals for the brew I am shooting for about:
150ppm calcium
140ppm chloride
290ppm sulphate

See you after the sparge

Cheers
Steve

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Here is the sparge

Just coming to the boil... first hops in

Boil done.... chiller in

No trouble with cats today but I was plagued with inquisitive wasps throughout the boil - this is now sitting, chilling and cold break forming.

Cheers
Steve

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Here we go - hydrometer sample settling out..... lovely copper colour to the wort and gravity is dead on the target of 1.033
Yeast is pitched and it's all tucked up in the brew fridge.

I have a slight dilemma with the dry hops as I found a bag of Cascade in the freezer which I'd forgotten about - so it's a toss up between Cascade or Willamette, I might stick with plan A and use the Willamette but the Cascade are whispering to me :D

Cheers
Steve

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Great post Steve.

What yeast are you using?

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:52 am

Hi MB, I'm using Nottingham for this as I want it ready fairly quickly and Notty sediments and sticks reliably fast.

What do you think - Willamette or Cascade for dry hops?

Cheers
Steve

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:48 pm

Piscator wrote:Hi MB, I'm using Nottingham for this as I want it ready fairly quickly and Notty sediments and sticks reliably fast.

What do you think - Willamette or Cascade for dry hops?

Cheers
Steve
I've found that sticking to plan A is normally best :)

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Dry hops in - plan A stuck to.

Smelling fruity, hoppy and generally pretty luscious.

Cheers
Steve

stokie_spaceman
Steady Drinker

Post by stokie_spaceman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:38 pm

Can't stop laughing at the image of your cat knocking over the hlt and trying to run up an unravelling toilet roll. Have woken the missus up trying to stifle laughing out loud. Bet it wasn't so funny at the time!

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:00 pm

stokie_spaceman wrote:Can't stop laughing at the image of your cat knocking over the hlt and trying to run up an unravelling toilet roll. Have woken the missus up trying to stifle laughing out loud. Bet it wasn't so funny at the time!
I was a bit tight lipped about it at the time........... but can laugh about it now :mrgreen:

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Well, it's all done and bottled now - the snifter from the hydrometer jar was rather like me..... fruity and full bodied :mrgreen: