Geterbrewed Raffle Craft-A-Beer Extract Wheat Beer

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Thorbz
Piss Artist

Geterbrewed Raffle Craft-A-Beer Extract Wheat Beer

Post by Thorbz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:39 pm

I managed to find time after lunch today to put this on. The options I selected were :-

Wheat Extract ( 2 x 1.5 kg of Muntons Wheat/Pils extract )
30 IBU's worth of hop extract ( I used half, for a typical Wit IBU of about 15 )
Sorachi Ace/Motueka/Nelson Sauvin hop tea bags ( you get 20g of each hop, and make a hop tea, to be added when gravity is about 1.015 )
Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit yeast
Curacao orange peel and coriander seeds
Dextrose for priming

I made it up as per the instructions on the Geterbrewed web-site (like a kit beer, without a boil), and hit an O.G. of 1.042-ish. The only thing missing from the instructions was when to add the spices, which I found on another site ( they go in at the start of fermentation ). I often find I'm getting a bit grumpy towards the end of an A.G. brewday, so to be done and cleared up in short order made a pleasant change. The wort smelt good in the FV, and I'll report back later with a progress update or two.

Thorbz
Piss Artist

Re: Geterbrewed Raffle Craft-A-Beer Extract Wheat Beer

Post by Thorbz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:30 pm

Just tucking into a pint of this. Lots of yeast character, spicy coriander and zesty orange, and a noticeable contribution from the hops. Nice light body, but I should have carbed it a bit more. Having never done an extract before, I really didn't know what to expect, but this is a really pleasant beer ( and certainly better than a certain award winning commercial wheat beer I had recently ).

I'd certainly consider having a kit like this around for those times when I either don't fancy spending hours AG brewing or my stocks are getting a little low.