Guinness clone

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Chug

Guinness clone

Post by Chug » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 am

During the extra day February had this year I brewed a Guinness clone using bullion hops the original hop Guinness used, did a 15L batch and divided it into two FV's and pitched with different yeasts, one with yeast from a local brewery and one with NBS ale yeast,

Bottled them yesterday and albeit a little flat, I've made something that looks and tastes similar to Guinness and it is very drinkable now, so with a few weeks to carb up and condition they should be even better. I gave the stepson a small glass and said have a taste of my latest beer, he screwed up his face and said it tastes like flat Guinness, but hes a lager boy ha ha ha

Not any major discernable differences between the two yeasts now, a week or so back when checking SG's the one with NBS ale yeast tasted smoother, it may still be slightly smoother but its hard to tell so I don't know if its just in my head, will get the missus to do me a blind taste test in a few weeks.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Guinness clone

Post by Jim » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:37 am

Interesting experiment. :)

In the old days when it was easy to get hold of bottle conditioned Guinness many people used to culture up the original yeast from a bottle. Not sure if you can still get it in any form though (or if you can whether they use a different bottling yeast now).
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:41 pm

Did you have a pint for Paddys day yesterday? I have a few, sore head! Stout is one of my fave all grain brews, theres plenty of leeway to cover any brewing shortcomings so I think its a great way to start all grain brewing. I try to keep some on the go all year round, a 'cooking' stout to the Guinness recipe or similar and some Imperial stout for special.
I went to a posh restaurant at the weekend down near Falmouth, oysters on the menu. But they had no stout on. Stout and Oysters go together so wonderfully. Theres Falmouth Oyster Stout from the Rebel Brewery at Penryn nearby and these idiots hadn't bothered. Frustrating when the posh sorts think wine is the only drink with food when beers are so often better. try a wheat beer with crab, superb!
Good luck with your stout. Must get an Imperial on for Christmas time.

Tony01

Post by Tony01 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 pm

I’m no longer a fan of Guinness... I used to be, until started brewing Irish Stout myself and exploring what other stouts are out there, the oyster stout that micmacmoc mentions is superb. I can never understand the attraction of serving Guinness at sub-zero temperatures.

I recently split a 40l batch across two yeasts but like you, am waiting for it to condition. Good luck with yours, hope it turns out well!

Chug

Post by Chug » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:47 am

I don't eat anything from the sea so cannot say I've had oysters and stout, but I am partial to a nice stout and I've done this brew as a base to experiment from, trying different, hops, yeast, mash temps etc until I find my sweet spot.

Chug

Post by Chug » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:52 pm

I did a tester PET bottle of each of the two brews and this morning I checked them after 10 days carbing up with a view to trying one of each this evening.
The rebellion brewery yeast one is nice and tight but the NBS ale yeast one is still the same as when bottled and doesn't seem to be carbing up the same. the bottle is still all squashed in, the temps are 17C daytime dropping to 14C overnight, hopefully it will get there, I may try and get it a bit warmer to see if it helps.

Chug

Post by Chug » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:42 pm

I tried one of each last w/end and rebellion brewery yeast version is getting better and is quite drinkable now, but the NBS ale yeast version is taking much longer to carb up and still needs a bit longer, but it had improved a lot since the first taste session two weeks earlier, I'm in two minds whether to try again at the weekend or give it another week by which time it should be getting good.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:38 am

[quote][/ I can never understand the attraction of serving Guinness at sub-zero temperatures.
]

It attracts blind lager drinkers because it removes the taste. =D>
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Chug

Post by Chug » Sun May 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Been testing these each week, Rebellion brewery yeast version was good from the first taster and is now bloody lovely!

The NBS ale yeast version has finally got there but has taken much longer to carb up and condition but I think it is now as good as the rebellion yeast version, it may even be slightly smoother but its hard to tell drinking one pint after the other without a side by side comparison.

But overall I'm well impressed with my efforts and the guinness I had in the pub yesterday didn't seem the same :wink:

daf

Post by daf » Mon May 09, 2016 6:53 am

Guinness has a sour edge to it which makes it different from others. I'm not talking about the draught rubbish mind.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Tue May 10, 2016 8:56 pm

A sour mash or very small amounts of acidulated malt will get you the twang.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 pm

They add food grade lactic acid now at guinness

daf

Post by daf » Wed May 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Any idea/experience on how much Lacto to add to 25 litre batch of Irish Dry Stout (Hughes recipe)?

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed May 11, 2016 7:42 pm

No, although I've seen about 5% acidulated malt mentioned as the taste threshold for lactate for a typical brew. I guess that would depend on what else is going on in the beer though. I think you need 2.7ml of 88% lactic acid to add the same amount of acidity as 100g of acidulated malt in a mash. I'd do a bit more research though than just hoying in some lactic acid into your brew based on this post though :)

Using S04 yeast might get you there too, lots of people don't like that yeast because of the lactic tang it imparts as it's a lactic acid producer. Bit harder to control that though :)

daf

Post by daf » Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Hanglow wrote: I'd do a bit more research though than just hoying in some lactic acid into your brew based on this post though :)

)

:lol: :lol: :lol: