Adventures in brewing - Day 3 (AG#3)

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Notlaw
Piss Artist

Adventures in brewing - Day 3 (AG#3)

Post by Notlaw » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:35 am

Well, finally got my third brew done yesterday afternoon. I've been trying to get it done for a fortnight, but something has always got in the way. It was a recipe I took from another forum member, thanks Clibit, and based on the taste of the wort, I have high hopes for this one.

Recipe for Centennial Brown Ale:

1.5kg Maris Otter
200g Crystal Malt
100g Wheat Malt
70g Chocolate Malt
150g Light Brown Sugar

60 minute mash @ 68°C

5g Centennial @ 60m
10g Centennial @ 15m
10g Centennial @ 5m
10g Centennial @ flame out

10 litre batch. Started with 12.8 litres and lost over 3 litres in the boil.! I'm still concerned about how much I'm losing to boil off, it seems a lot. Topped back up to 10 litres and got an OG of 1.046 versus a target of 1.047, so I'm fine with that. Pitched Nottingham and tucked up to bed. Not checked this morning, as I'm not a peeker. I'll have faith and maybe have a check on it in a couple of days.

I bloody love this brewing lark. As its taken a while to get this one done, I'm hoping to get another done in the next week or so. Just have to decide whether to go for the Scottish 80/- or the milk stout first.

Johnf

Re: Adventures in brewing - Day 3 (AG#3)

Post by Johnf » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:58 am

Excellent Notlaw keep us updated sounds good. I see your planning a Milk Stout! I fancy having a go at that myself.

Cheers
John

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:19 pm

I really enjoyed the Centennial Brown, a lot. Can't help you with the 80/- or the milk stout sorry, two styles I don't really go for.

jayjt29

Post by jayjt29 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Id go for the Milk Stout first :) Yep you cant beat brewing and sitting back sampling your efforts :mrgreen:

Jay

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Well, patience got the better of me today, so when I got in from work I took the skanky bottle that was last filled, it was filled with a jug, it had way too much head space, so I didn't expect much from it really. I just wanted to see how it was getting along. Well.... I am a happy man tonight. This is my first wow moment. It is without doubt the nicest beer I have ever drank, and I made it. It is absolutely sensational.

Thanks Clibit, this is a gem of a recipe. I'll be doing this one again for definite.

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Good on you fella :D

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:49 pm

stevej383 wrote:Good on you fella :D
Cheers Stevie mate, I'm proper chuffed like. Pity I've only got another 17 bottles of it. I could dust them this weekend haha. Best order some more centennial eh?

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:52 pm

Notlaw wrote:
Cheers Stevie mate, I'm proper chuffed like. Pity I've only got another 17 bottles of it. I could dust them this weekend haha. Best order some more centennial eh?

I dont actually think i have used Centennial myself tbh but im really happy for you with your recent brew :D

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Notlaw wrote:
Stock up on it before it becomes short on stock as the year goes on.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Notlaw wrote:Well, patience got the better of me today, so when I got in from work I took the skanky bottle that was last filled, it was filled with a jug, it had way too much head space, so I didn't expect much from it really. I just wanted to see how it was getting along. Well.... I am a happy man tonight. This is my first wow moment. It is without doubt the nicest beer I have ever drank, and I made it. It is absolutely sensational.

Thanks Clibit, this is a gem of a recipe. I'll be doing this one again for definite.
Excellent, I must make it again myself! Need some more Centennial! Your bottles will keep getting better.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Clibit wrote:
Notlaw wrote:Well, patience got the better of me today, so when I got in from work I took the skanky bottle that was last filled, it was filled with a jug, it had way too much head space, so I didn't expect much from it really. I just wanted to see how it was getting along. Well.... I am a happy man tonight. This is my first wow moment. It is without doubt the nicest beer I have ever drank, and I made it. It is absolutely sensational.

Excellent, I must make it again myself! Need some more Centennial! Your bottles will keep getting better.
If they last that long mate. I've had 3 already :oops:

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Notlaw wrote:
Clibit wrote:

If they last that long mate. I've had 3 already :oops:
Only bloody 3 :lol:

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 pm

stevej383 wrote:
Only bloody 3 :lol:
7 now :mrgreen:

wfr42

Post by wfr42 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:24 am

Don't know how you're 80/- research has gone.

My first AG was supposed to be something 80/-ish using the simple ag thread for 10litres I went with:
1.7kg pale malt (if doing again, I'd probably up this by at least 50g and reduce the brown malt accordingly)
150g dark crystal
150g brown malt (too high, though it has a nice coffee aftertaste)
10g phoenix* at 60mins
15g phoenix at 5mins
With 6g of S-04
*apparently similar to challenger, they were cheap at my LHBS and I liked the idea of the spicy molasses description.

Just finishing my last bottle of this and, despite possibly too much speciality malt and mashing too high at at least 70 degrees (get the heat on while doughing in it only fermented down to 1.028 from 1.048), it is a very nice pint (especially after 2-3months conditioning) and very enjoyable change up from my usual hoppy pale ales.

I would like to redo this with a few tweaks but want to try so many other brews before re treading old ground....