Somerset Golden Ale

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Clibit
Under the Table

Somerset Golden Ale

Post by Clibit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Made a starter with Brewlabs Somerset 1 yeast on Saturday so brewing today, just mashed in. First time with a Brewlabs slant. Was out of date by 2 months but no problems, worked like a dream. Will be pitching the 300ml starter. Tasted the wort and it's pretty estery. Decided on a straight forward golden ale kind of thing with fag ends of English hops that need using up. Chucked 30g of oats in cos that's all that was in the bag.

Batch Size (L): 9.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 4.3 (EBC): 8.5
Bitterness (IBU): 40.2 (Average)

1.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (87.72%)
0.100 kg Caramalt (5.85%)
0.080 kg Torrified Wheat (4.68%)
0.030 kg Flaked Oats (1.75%)

10.0 g Northern Brewer Pellet (8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
10.0 g Challenger Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
10.0 g Northdown Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
10.0 g Challenger Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
10.0 g Northdown Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes

Brewlabs Somerset 1 yeast
Mashed 65°C for 45 Minutes. (Aimed for 66, overshot, over-compensated)
Last edited by Clibit on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Somerset Golden Ale

Post by seymour » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Sounds delicious, curious to hear how well the yeast traits stand up to a big hop bill.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:48 pm

seymour wrote:Sounds delicious, curious to see hear how well the yeast traits stand up to a big hop bill.
I don't wish to overpower the yeast traits, maybe I'll drop the hop quantity. What you reckon? Boil started 4.40, currently 4.55, hops due in at 5.30!

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:16 pm

No fear, I think your recipe is great. I just meant I've not used that particular yeast, so I don't know how intense the esters are. This sounds like a nicely balanced beer.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:17 pm

I stuck to my recipe. It's in the FV now, all sorted, fingers crossed. Cheers.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Ive never knowingly had Northdown. What's it like?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Notlaw wrote:Ive never knowingly had Northdown. What's it like?
Spicy, fruity and a bit woody (often described as cedar). I really like it. Quite a robust flavour. Pairs well with EKG, Challenger, First Gold.

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:31 pm

Clibit wrote:
Notlaw wrote:Ive never knowingly had Northdown. What's it like?
Spicy, fruity and a bit woody (often described as cedar). I really like it. Quite a robust flavour. Pairs well with EKG, Challenger, First Gold.
That's a good description.

If you want even more geekiness: Northdown is high-alpha for an English variety, more bitter than most, smoother than Target. When used in heavy doses, IPA style, you also get a lot of fresh-cut grass, broadleaf weeds, very vegetal like a hot kitchen garden, strong tomato plant essence. Works well in malt-forward Scottish ales and such. Popular for subtle dry-hopping as well.

You've probably tasted smaller doses in popular commercial brands: Bass, Smithwicks, Newcastle Bombshell, Robinsons Old Tom, etc.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:41 pm

I believe Stones bitter from Sheffield was a Challenger/Northdown combo, back in its heyday. And Worthington White Shield.

Anyway I took the OG earlier, bang on target at 1048, and pitched the yeast. Only found a few reviews of the yeast from people who have used it, two or three thought it weird, a couple liked it. One person said his closest and best Exmoor Gold attempt used it.

Wondering whether to dry hop with a little EKG.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:54 am

Hmmm, Northdown sounds quite good then... I've certainly had and enjoyed all but one of those beers mentioned. It certainly sounds the kind of profile that my missus would like, so I might knock something up for her with ND being the prominent hop.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:19 am

Notlaw wrote:Hmmm, Northdown sounds quite good then... I've certainly had and enjoyed all but one of those beers mentioned. It certainly sounds the kind of profile that my missus would like, so I might knock something up for her with ND being the prominent hop.
I've not done a single hop beer with it. Seems to complement more floral English hops really well.

The Brewlab yeast has impressed me so far. A very happy starter and a quick start in the fv, nice krausen and lots of gas this morning. Why buy imported yeast? :)

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 am

Clibit wrote:
Notlaw wrote:Hmmm, Northdown sounds quite good then... I've certainly had and enjoyed all but one of those beers mentioned. It certainly sounds the kind of profile that my missus would like, so I might knock something up for her with ND being the prominent hop.
I've not done a single hop beer with it. Seems to complement more floral English hops really well.

The Brewlab yeast has impressed me so far. A very happy starter and a quick start in the fv, nice krausen and lots of gas this morning. Why buy imported yeast? :)
How much of the vial did you use for that size batch? Did you just put the rest in the fridge for future use?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Notlaw wrote: How much of the vial did you use for that size batch? Did you just put the rest in the fridge for future use?
It's a slant not a vial. Yeast cells on agar. I put some wort in the container and shook it and added it to the starter wort. It's possible to leave cells behind for future use I believe, but mine was out of date so I just dislodged as much yeast as I could. Most or all of it. I'll harvest some from the FV.

Seems like a great way to package yeast. A slant direct from Brewlab is £6 plus £2.50 postage now, it used to be about a fiver all in, but you can ring them, discuss what kind of yeast you want, they will match as closely as possible from a bank of around 3000 allegedly (read this on a forum, could be wrong), and then they make up the slant and send it you fresh. So it's in top nick. Mine was bought from an online retailer and was almost out of date when I got it, for £3. It still went off like a rocket, having sat in my fridge another 3 months. And I believe the 300ml starter is enough for a 5 gallon brew, because of the healthy state of the yeast. Or am I mistaken?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Down to 1014 last night, 8 days in. Clearing well already. Tiny taste, hard to make out, but nothing untoward, and promising, I think. Yeast esters are there, and so are the hops. Nice golden colour.

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Sounds spot on!