Proper job Clone

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Proper job Clone

Post by Troutman47 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:13 pm

Well I planned to make the Proper Job clone tomorrow, but last night it was the meat draw in the pub so I bought £4 worth of tickets (£1 each) and carried on suppin' Morlands Hoppy Hen (I think, I ended up having a few!) #-o
Anyway, I won a 2.6k joint of rolled rib of beef!! :shock:

If I win anything its usually sausages!!

So, the family have been invited round for dinner tomorrow and I started the Proper Job at midday today!

(Thought I'd smother the beef with a mixture of Butter, Dijon, Horseradish and a clove of Garlic before cooking)

25l brew length

MO 6.187
Crystal 0.107

at 70mins
Willamette 18g
Chinook 16g

at 30mins
Willamette 18g
Chinook 15g

at 10mins
Willamette 37g
Chinook 18g

at flame out
Willamette 49g
Cascade 49g
Chinook 18g

Not yeast

Mash at 66˚C for 60 mins

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Proper job Clone

Post by vacant » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:26 pm

I've stepped up the yeast from bottles of PJ for Tribute clones. It goes off like a rocket in the fermenter.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:59 pm

vacant wrote:I've stepped up the yeast from bottles of PJ for Tribute clones. It goes off like a rocket in the fermenter.
It does. I've grown it up too. Then I found out on fairly good authority that St Austell hold it cold for 24 hours after pitching, 14C if I recall correctly, before warming it up. They're pitching a good amount too. Mine was too estery at room temperature, but I intend to revisit, pitching higher and starting cooler.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

DanBrew1980

Post by DanBrew1980 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:33 pm

I found s05 was rather nice with this brew, the recipes I saw had cascade in the 10 min additions and a dry hop

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:22 am

I tried this last night, it's not been in the bottle for quite a week yet but my god, it's good!
Still needs a bit more carbonation but the hops!

This is the most expensive beer I've made so far working out at 36p a bottle but will definitely be doing it again!

Brewdoug
Sober

Post by Brewdoug » Wed May 11, 2016 2:29 pm

What ABV did you get with this recipe and is it tasting close to the original?

I quite like Proper Job but I don't often buy it because you can't get the labels off the bottles (mean I know lol).

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:54 pm

Brewdoug wrote:What ABV did you get with this recipe and is it tasting close to the original?

I quite like Proper Job but I don't often buy it because you can't get the labels off the bottles (mean I know lol).

I got an ABV of 5.3%

I've not compared it to the real thing yet, I think it's pretty close though.
It's got that great big hit of bitterness and aroma which it should have with a BU:GU ratio of 1.04!

It had only been in the bottle for 5 days so was just to see what it was like.
I'd had it in the fridge for a few hours and was so good I popped another two in.
The second one wasn't quite as cold and I didn't think it was as good as the first but the third was as good as the first!

Well pleased with this beer! =D> =D>

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 pm

I've finally compared mine the the real thing.

It's pretty close I think, the most noticeable difference is the real PJ has quite a citrus note
from the late additions.
This could be down to the water treatment where I just had DWP in the mash

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Fri May 27, 2016 8:43 am

Re lack of citrus taste. Could be the notty yeast as i found this yeast ferments fast but is not so kind to hop flavour

serum

Post by serum » Fri May 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Could also be water treatment. I find it hard to get hops to pop in quite the way they do I'm commercial beers

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri May 27, 2016 7:22 pm

St Austell don't dry hop, as far as I'm aware; they get all the hop aroma from a whirlpool. I get no luck with whirlpool hops on my kit. I always have to do a big dry hop, and that sorts it.

Theirs also finishes very low to get the 5.5%ABV, from an OG of 1.045 [EDIT - I THINK THAT'S THE 4.5% CASK VERSION OG; please ignore that bit :oops: Bottle OG 1.053]. The dry finish probably helps the hops. I think they add gypsum to their own water source, which tends to be pretty low in minerals in that part of the world, I think (?)
Last edited by MTW on Sat May 28, 2016 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

fego

Post by fego » Sat May 28, 2016 8:18 am

You're right about the gypsum and the dry finish.

I asked Roger Ryman (Head brewer at St. A) about water treatment for PJ and he said 'all we add is gypsum'. Their yeast finishes dry as well but has to be treated carefully. A cold start if I remember rightly.

My best clones have used US05.
Tea is for mugs...

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 pm

done a clone of PJ, I call it Propahh jarrb.

Used Low Colour Maris Otter, Wheat Malt, Willamette, Chinook and Cascade. Didnt want it to be too strong so reigned back to 4.5%abv as it is on handpull.

I used PJ yeast cultured up from 2 bottles of PJ, £1.49 in Aldi ( bargain of the year), DME in an old pickle jar.

Just conditioning up now and its simply devine

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:49 am

Seemingly no mention of the "blend of malt" St Austell mention? Simpson's list the "Cornish Gold" malt (20EBC) they include, but it is never available and has now disappeared from Malt Miller's lists. Perhaps their "Munich" malt (21EBC,still British malt) substitutes? Simpson's also do "Imperial" malt (45EBC) from British barley, still diastatic but my guess too dark (and flavoured - I've tried it!).

Sourcing the American hops doesn't appear to be an obstacle!
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

leedsbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by leedsbrew » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:01 am

https://www.colchesterhomebrew.co.uk/co ... -500g.html

Munich “also known as Cornish gold” at Colchester homebrew. It’s been a while since I’ve brewed any St A clones but I remember uk Munich doing a good job in with MO base malt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk