The Summit of all Beers

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

The Summit of all Beers

Post by AdrianTrace » Sun May 08, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm still not sold on whether I like the interesting flavour that Summit brings, so it's time to bite the bullet and do a full on single hop with it. I decided to not make this a pale ale, as I have a few odds & ends to use up:

1.5kg light LME
300g extra light DME
250g 140 EBC Crystal
150g 30 EBC Crystal
100g 80 EBC Crystal
25g Carafa 2

2014 Summit pellets 17.5%AA:
15mins - 20g (plus 1/3 Whirlfloc)
steep - 40g
Dry Hop - 50g

14 Litre (3 gallon) at 1.042. Pitched onto 300ml of S04 yeast cake

The shortened boil length is going well - once it's up to the boil I give it 5-10 minutes then start the final 15 minutes routine. No issues so far, but my SS braid hop filter is getting the sack. It has blocked for every brew except the first, even when I'm only using whole hops - the break material is enough to block it.

Every brew is having to be syphoned off, so I might as well remove the whole thing and pour through sanitised voile. Removing the cross-pipe should also help with the whirlpool. I just need to decide whether to do a 90* pickup to the base plus SS scourer design, or just a plain pipe...

Pictures:
Ready to go: Malt extract, grain, yeast and a freezer full of hops.
Fermenting: Nowt.
Conditioning: Nelson's Revenge.
Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: The Summit of all Beers

Post by Rookie » Sun May 08, 2016 5:01 pm

I've never done a single hop beer with summit, but do brew a great amber with summit, simcoe, and saphir.
I'm just here for the beer.

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Re: The Summit of all Beers

Post by AdrianTrace » Thu May 26, 2016 8:51 pm

I've just bottled this - the leftover half bottle tasted pretty good. Can't wait for it to be ready =P~ Summit wins me over, although it may not be the source of the "interesting" flavour: I've since found it may be the Ahtanum :roll: oh well :roll:
Ready to go: Malt extract, grain, yeast and a freezer full of hops.
Fermenting: Nowt.
Conditioning: Nelson's Revenge.
Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...