Session IPA

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Session IPA

Post by HisDudeness » Mon May 16, 2016 9:56 am

This is based on the Session IPA by Fourpure which I have had on draught and really enjoyed (not so much from the cans but hey ho). No idea if it will be close to the original but the smell of all those hops when I brewed it yesterday has me quite excited about this one!

Had a nice leisurely brewday and all went well, trying out Wyeast 1272 in this one to see how it compares to the usual US05 option for this sort of beer. As usual when I try and make a fairly low alcohol beer I over shoot my target OG and end up pushing towards 5%! This time efficiency jumped to just over 80% and OG hit 1.047, I have been using the minch pale malt and I think this has something to do with it (finer crush perhaps?). Anyway heres the recipe:

Drinking------ AG American IRA, John Bull IPA Partial Mash, AG Dr Smurtos Rye APA, Elderflower Champagne, Another Rye IPA AG, AG 1845/Broadside Winter Ale, Admirals Gold Bitter AG, Pond Monster APA, London Rye Porter, Pale Ale Water Chem Experiment, Gos Otok Slovenian IPA, Summer Lightningish Aurora & Bobek, Cardinal Wolfsey Pale Ale, Wakatu Pale Ale, Boltmaker Bitter, 3 Ghosts Pale Ale
Conditioning------- Red Dawn Amber Ale, 2 Hearted IPA
Brewing------- Turtle Rye PA, Trip Hop Brit Hop

:beer: \:D/ :beer: :P

Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Session IPA

Post by Clibit » Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 am

Looks great that Dude. Interesting to see how the yeast works out.

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Mon May 16, 2016 10:57 am

Cheers, 1272 gets some good reviews. More floccy and flavoursome than US05/Chico apparently but still very hop forward. If that is the case I imagine I will use it a lot more....
Drinking------ AG American IRA, John Bull IPA Partial Mash, AG Dr Smurtos Rye APA, Elderflower Champagne, Another Rye IPA AG, AG 1845/Broadside Winter Ale, Admirals Gold Bitter AG, Pond Monster APA, London Rye Porter, Pale Ale Water Chem Experiment, Gos Otok Slovenian IPA, Summer Lightningish Aurora & Bobek, Cardinal Wolfsey Pale Ale, Wakatu Pale Ale, Boltmaker Bitter, 3 Ghosts Pale Ale

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon May 16, 2016 11:08 am

HisDudeness wrote:Cheers, 1272 gets some good reviews. More floccy and flavoursome than US05/Chico apparently but still very hop forward. If that is the case I imagine I will use it a lot more....
I've been meaning to try it myself, keep us posted!

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Mon May 16, 2016 7:02 pm

I have been using WY1272 for a few brews now, at the warmer end of the fermentation range (22C), for fruity IPAs. I really like it. Starting to experiment with the fermentation temp now, to see what else it can do.
YEAST STRAIN: 1272 | American Ale II™

Back to Yeast Strain List

With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. This versatile strain is a very good choice for a “House” strain. Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. It attenuates well and is reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV
Styles:
American Amber Ale
American Brown Ale
American IPA
American Pale Ale
American Stout
Blonde Ale
Fruit Beer
Imperial IPA
Wood-Aged Beer

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Tue May 17, 2016 10:04 am

I have it at 19.5c at the moment, appears to have thrown up and mostly dropped the krausen in the first 24hrs but otherwise a fairly gentle ferment at the moment. Brewfridge smells like fruitsalad!