First kit - Coopers Stout

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:37 pm

My first kit but not my first home brew as i have 68 all grains under my belt. House renovations have made brewing difficult but with stocks getting low and a brewing itch to scratch i had to get something fermenting. Tesco's 25% off finally pushed me over the edge and with coopers stout such a highly rated kit i thought thats what i'd do. As well as the Stout kit i bought the English bitter kit, brew enhancer, light dry extract (wanted dark but tesco didnt have any) and a ginger beer kit just because. I also had 700g extra light dry extract i use for yeast starters kicking around and some Billingtins Molasses so the recipe came out as.

Cooper's 1.7lg Stout kit
700g Extra light dry malt extract
500g Light dry malt extract
300g Billingtons Mollases

Ingredients:

I used tescos ashbeck water, it makees getting water to the brewery easier as its surrounded by a building site:

Home brewed vienna lager for refreshments:

Gravity came out at a nice mid strength 1.045, not sure what it will ferment down to:

Fermenting away:

A few notes to add, i've been using mainly liquid yeast recently but for simplicity i stuck to dried yeast and wanted to pitch more than the 7g supplied so i used the yeast from the English bitter kit too. For the english bitter i will probably get a pack of Gervin ale yeast from wilkinsons.
I'm also thinking of dry hopping as i have some challenger, styrian golding and saaz pellats in the freezer. I may try challenger as i've not dry hopped with that before and save the saaz and styrian goldings for the english bitter

bigtoe

Re: First kit - Coopers Stout

Post by bigtoe » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Looks tasty, I tend to use medium spray malt now with stout kit or a partial mash and push the gravity to around 1.045 for a 4.5% brew.

Next time try the 17P water from tesco, its filtered spring water (Chase Spring) and probably starts life as poor quality spring water so needs additional work, its 17P a bottle and i found it makes very nice brews, a little nicer than the Ashbeck.

Make sure to get a winter stout brew ready soon, full tin of black treacle 454g into a 23L brew with 1.5KG spray malt and the kit ;) if feeling adventurous mix 1/2KG spray malt in 4L water along with 500g of Marris otter crushed grain and 500g rolled oats in a hop bag or similar and let steep for 1hr at 66C, boil after sparge for 15 mins and build the kit from there...my dad loves it like this ;)

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:23 pm

bigtoe wrote:
Next time try the 17P water from tesco, its 17P
bigtoe,
How much is the water in Tesco? :D

WA

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:09 am

Checked and its 17p WA :D

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Well the ferment has been pretty fast, I got this brew going on Monday and it is down to 1.011. I dry hopped with 30g challenger and 20g of northern brewer and upped the temp to 22 from 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:57 pm

WalesAles wrote:
bigtoe wrote:
Next time try the 17P water from tesco, its 17P
bigtoe,
How much is the water in Tesco? :D

WA
26p i think :aarh: :bonk