1937 Greene King AK

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Piscator

Re: 1937 Greene King AK

Post by Piscator » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Good Ed wrote: The BX go very nicely in this beer
Hi Ed, have you brewed this one many times - any pearls of wisdom to offer? I notice that nearly all the recipes on Rons blog suggest a much higher predicted FG than I get with any brewing software. What did your version of the Kidd AK finish at out of interest?
I don't have any BX currently but am thinking that I might sub a blend of Cluster and Willamette since I have both and they need using up.

Cheers
Steve

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Piscator wrote:
Hi Ed, have you brewed this one many times - any pearls of wisdom to offer? I notice that nearly all the recipes on Rons blog suggest a much higher predicted FG than I get with any brewing software. What did your version of the Kidd AK finish at out of interest?
I don't have any BX currently but am thinking that I might sub a blend of Cluster and Willamette since I have both and they need using up.

Cheers
Steve
I have bx which you can have for postage ?

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:12 pm

Why thank you very much indeed - I'll drop you a PM =D>

Cheers
Steve

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:23 am

Piscator wrote:

Cheers
Steve
I've only brewed it once and it was OG 1044 (I added a bit too much invert) and finished at 1007. I use Brewmate and I find when I enter any type of sugar it increases the attenuation, which isn't always what you will get in practice (very dependant on the yeast also). I'd take sbond up on his offer, although not essential. I've brewed a few generic AK's or from Ron's recipes, just use pale malt, invert 1 or 2 and flaked maize in similar quantities to the published recipes and use English hops (although that's your choice). AK's also had fairly variable bitterness levels, so you can adjust to suit your taste. Scottish brewers were using similar recipes and some would then colour using caramel. Its a simple brew that is very reliable and produces a good easy drinking pale ale. Good luck with it.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:14 am

If any one else is interested I have abit of brambling X going spare jus dtop us a pm. Piscator is taking one lot

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Bottled this at the weekend and it's clearing nicely - looks very promising.

Hyydrometer sample showed a nice earthy hop presence and slight caramel sweetness - I mashed high at 70°C to promote some body - it finished at 1.012 (1.011.1 was FG given on Rons blog) rather than the 1.007 which BeerEngine predicted, so that worked out well. This is something I will do some more experimenting with in recipes using reasonable levels of invert sugars.
I just need to keep off it long enough for it to condition now!

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:02 am

A week in the bottle - clearing nicely and developing condition.
Slightly sweet, caramel/toffee and malt balanced with a nice earthy/woody English hop character. Good mouthfeel, not thin at all and very easy to drink.
This will get brewed again, that's for sure =D>