AG#15 - Timothy Taylor Landlord

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
cerbera84
Piss Artist

AG#15 - Timothy Taylor Landlord

Post by cerbera84 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 am

Hi guys,

AG#15's brew was a AG recipe kit from Worcesterhopshop - Timothy Taylor Landlord:

Pale Malt (Maris Otter) (grams) 4250
Black Malt (grams) 30

Start of Boil
Goldings Hops 34 (grams)
Styrian Goldings 26 (grams)

Last Ten Minutes
Styrian Goldings 18 (grams)

1 x Protafloc last 15 mins of Boil
1 pack of S-04

Alcohol content (ABV) 4.2%

With this brew, I once again did the mash on an evening, and fly sparged into boiler, then boiled the next evening after work - seems to work around my schedule.

I've been busy trying to sort out my garage to make room for the brewery - so far I have made a stand for the HLT to sit on, allowing gravity feed to the mash for fly sparging then gravity drain off to boiler. (ignore the temp display - it needs attention!)

ImageAG#15 - Timothy Taylor Landlord by Ben, on Flickr

Also fitted two 2.4kw Peco elements to the boil pot, as I will soon increase my batch size to 46 litres. May be difficult in a 50 litre pot but I'm prepared to liquor back...

ImageAG#15 - Timothy Taylor Landlord by Ben, on Flickr

I'm calling 1.041...

ImageUntitled by Ben, on Flickr

Ended with approx 22 litres in fermenter - I really must calibrate my fermenters!

ImageUntitled by Ben, on Flickr

I have been bitten by the brewing bug once again - I recently received really positive feedback of my Cascade pale from a friend of mine who's a Gold medal winner over in Ireland so I'm planning on brewing a lot in 2017. Just don't tell the wife.

Ben
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Re: AG#15 - Timothy Taylor Landlord

Post by cerbera84 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 pm

update: pitched S-04 on Saturday morning, I've checked a few times and no action in the airlock. Did a gravity check this morning and already down to 1.010 ! S-04 is a beast. Will raise to 22 degrees to ensure diacetyl is dealt with then hopefully keg on Saturday

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:59 am

With regards to you calibrating the fermenter I did one of mine that also had litre markings on the side. I was surprised at how much it was out by. But saying that the jug I was using could also be not accurate but as i use that jug for other measurements when brewing I suppose at least the errors will match! :mrgreen:

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:37 am

The most tedious homebrewing task after bottling...? The only way to be sure is to weigh the water. All our measuring jugs are miles off, it's like they undergo zero QC before ending up in the supermarket... :roll:

Cheers,

Bob.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:02 pm

k1100t wrote: The only way to be sure is to weigh the water. All our measuring jugs are miles off, it's like they undergo zero QC before ending up in the supermarket... :roll:
Sounds like you're making idle assumptions about your scales being correct! :mrgreen:

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:43 pm

They're *cough* certified *cough*, right? Right... :^o
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:00 pm

chefgage wrote:With regards to you calibrating the fermenter I did one of mine that also had litre markings on the side. I was surprised at how much it was out by. But saying that the jug I was using could also be not accurate but as i use that jug for other measurements when brewing I suppose at least the errors will match! :mrgreen:
Tedious I know but weigh the water a litre at a time then add and note the mark, probably 5, 10, 15 then in individual litres from there.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:01 pm

orlando wrote:
chefgage wrote:With regards to you calibrating the fermenter I did one of mine that also had litre markings on the side. I was surprised at how much it was out by. But saying that the jug I was using could also be not accurate but as i use that jug for other measurements when brewing I suppose at least the errors will match! :mrgreen:
Tedious I know but weigh the water a litre at a time then add and note the mark, probably 5, 10, 15 then in individual litres from there. The scales may be a tad out but they are consistently out. :D

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:41 am

orlando wrote:
orlando wrote:
Tedious I know but weigh the water a litre at a time then add and note the mark, probably 5, 10, 15 then in individual litres from there. The scales may be a tad out but they are consistently out. :D
I might try that with my small 10l fermenters I am using. I never fill them right to the top (no chill method) and never drain them completly when its time to bottle. I know roughly the volume when part full and nearly empty but by weighing it I should be more accurate :)

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:02 pm

orlando wrote: weigh the water a litre at a time
had to share this - I found a empty plastic bottle to weigh one litre of water into, placed it on the scales and started pouring the water in... 600g, 700g...793g.... oh dear, turns out the Ribena bottle isn't one litre after all....

crash-chilled the brew down to 3 degrees for two days then kegged this last night - already tasting very similar to TTL. Will try to leave it alone for a week or two to let it condition.

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:42 am

and here she is

Imagethe end product by Ben, on Flickr

has been conditioning for three weeks - not crystal clear but no gelatine used - overall I'm happy. Lovely Yorkshire bitter - will need to try a side by side but this is a nice drop

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 am

Looking good. Nice colour. Got this on my to do list.

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:01 am

Did you keg or bottle? How much carbonation?

I've done this one a few times now using the TT strain (Wyeast 1469). It's been better each time but never quite comes out dark enough for me... I'll need to increase the black malt next time. I also started putting in extra styrians at flame out in an attempt to emulate the hopback TT apparently use but think maybe this adds too much hop character. Might switch to just doing either flame out or 10 minute addition, rather than both.

It's definitely more like the cask landlord than the bottled one for me. Not sure if they use a different recipe for the bottle (abv is different) or if it's just because of pasteurisation/filtering.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:51 pm

MrN, this was from the keg, blast it with 30psi for 24hours then drop it down to around 8psi and leave it to condition, but I make a point of drawing regular samples for quality control purposes, of course. Its been a while since I had a cask version of this (about 8 years ago in the Shakespeare in Birmingham, IIRC) so I'll have to get a bottle and compare.

orlando

Post by orlando » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:15 pm

cerbera84 wrote:I'll have to get a bottle and compare.
You will be disappointed and confused. Because the bottled version is rubbish and nothing like the cask, chalk & cheese.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: