Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Post Reply
windrider
Piss Artist
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:10 pm
Location: Devon

Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by windrider » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:43 pm

I’m getting married next year and providing homebrew beer favours on the table (this is a test run for it).

This was brewed last month and I tapped the keg last weekend. Pleased to say it has turned out really great and I can’t wait to brew it again in the New Year :D

Recipe: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.50 L
Post Boil Volume: 24.20 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.82 L
Bottling Volume: 19.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 10.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 42.0 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
-
4.50 kg Maris Otter (Crisp) (6.0 EBC) Grain 5 90.0 % 2.93 L
0.25 kg Cara (Crisp) (29.5 EBC) Grain 6 5.0 % 0.16 L
0.25 kg Pale Wheat Malt (3.5 EBC) Grain 7 5.0 % 0.16 L
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 - -
5.93 g Amarillo [8.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 3.1 IBUs -
3.20 g Vic Secret [18.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 3.4 IBUs -
33.49 g Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 14 10.5 IBUs -
32.34 g Yellow Sub [7.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 15 9.0 IBUs -
25.09 g Vic Secret [18.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 16 16.0 IBUs -
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml Yeast 17 - -
60.00 g Amarillo [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs -
60.00 g Vic Secret [18.10 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs -
60.00 g Yellow Sub [7.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs -


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out

Ferment @ 20°c


The #brewcave setup:

Image


Mash spot on:

Image


Into the sparge:

Image


Numbers bang on:

Image



First use of the cold crash guardian on the brew bucket. Reducing oxidation on this batch has worked brilliantly. John guest fitting on the end of the blow off for closed pressure transfers to the corny keg:

Image
Last edited by windrider on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:42 am, edited 13 times in total.

windrider
Piss Artist
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:10 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by windrider » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Had issues trying to attach images on the previous post #-o However, here is the finished product...

IMG_5321.jpg

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm
Location: Just outside Scarbados

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by MTW » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Great post and congrats for the wedding!

As one who had the misfortune to suck a litre of sanitiser from the blow off into the FV while cold crashing, that Guardian device looks interesting!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2999
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 pm
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by sbond10 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Looks super tasty that's for sure

User avatar
Trefoyl
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by Trefoyl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm

I’ve never heard of the Cold Crash Guardian, and a quick Google search found that it’s from Brew Hardware, a very well stocked shop I’ve never heard of even though it’s only an hour north of me! In fact I have driven past the location once a few years ago, but the store must not have been there yet, I guess.
https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1915.htm

That’s an amazing brewery you have =D>

The store is run by Bobby from NJ?! https://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ. I’ve been following him for years on YouTube but must have been out of the loop.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

windrider
Piss Artist
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:10 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by windrider » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 am

MTW wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 pm
Great post and congrats for the wedding!

As one who had the misfortune to suck a litre of sanitiser from the blow off into the FV while cold crashing, that Guardian device looks interesting!

I used a simple balloon (sanitized) previously, worked well. This is just a upgraded version. You could easily make one with an old polypin bag. But yeah, I had issues with suckback and hop flavours fading. This batch has come out with the best hop flavour I’ve had.
Trefoyl wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm
I’ve never heard of the Cold Crash Guardian, and a quick Google search found that it’s from Brew Hardware, a very well stocked shop I’ve never heard of even though it’s only an hour north of me! In fact I have driven past the location once a few years ago, but the store must not have been there yet, I guess.
https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1915.htm

That’s an amazing brewery you have =D>

The store is run by Bobby from NJ?! https://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ. I’ve been following him for years on YouTube but must have been out of the loop.
Bobby’s got some great stuff online and is really helpful over emails. Shame it costs a fortune to ship anything over! Hopefully The Malt Miller will start stocking something similar over here soon. Sometimes the simplest ideas work the best!


Image
(This is the cold crash guardian rigged up to my co2 tank for pressure transfers).

windrider
Piss Artist
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:10 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by windrider » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:53 am

sbond10 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 pm
Looks super tasty that's for sure
I'll send you a bottle sometime :D

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm
Location: Just outside Scarbados

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by MTW » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:52 pm

The few reports I can see on those guardians seem to suggest problems after just a few uses... shame if so. They look great in theory, and hope yours lasts. Yes, I was hoping Malt Miller or someone will stock in the UK. Condom over a bung in the meantime, perhaps, if you'll forgive the odd suggestion!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

User avatar
Trefoyl
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 pm

MTW wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:52 pm
The few reports I can see on those guardians seem to suggest problems after just a few uses... shame if so. They look great in theory, and hope yours lasts. Yes, I was hoping Malt Miller or someone will stock in the UK. Condom over a bung in the meantime, perhaps, if you'll forgive the odd suggestion!
Or cask breather / propane regulator on CO2 tank?
Just guessing because I don’t crash cool.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 11:21 am

Re: Yellow Submarine Pale Ale

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
MTW wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:52 pm
The few reports I can see on those guardians seem to suggest problems after just a few uses... shame if so. They look great in theory, and hope yours lasts. Yes, I was hoping Malt Miller or someone will stock in the UK. Condom over a bung in the meantime, perhaps, if you'll forgive the odd suggestion!
Or cask breather / propane regulator on CO2 tank?
Just guessing because I don’t crash cool.
Imagethis. My propane reg gets more use than most thinks I have:
- suckback protection
- partial packaging eg bottle up 5L for a party
- pressure transfers
- low pressure dispense of mini keg growlers
- starsan/ co2 purges of kegs

Post Reply