Do you take account of break material in hydrometer samples?

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Do you take account of break material in hydrometer samples?

Post by Bad 'Ed » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:01 pm

I made a stout today and took a sample of the beer post cooling to test the OG. It was 1070 but I could see a fair amount of break material in the sample jar.

After cleaning up etc I realised I'd not disposed of the sample and noticed the break material had compacted into the bottom quarter of the jar. Measuring OG again showed it as 1066, a fairly hefty difference.

I've noticed break material in the sample jar before but never retested it. It makes obvious sense that solids in the sample would be an issue, I've just never done anything about it before. Is this something any of you do?
Never enough time...

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Re: Do you take account of break material in hydrometer samples?

Post by Trefoyl » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Did you compensate for temperature? If the sample warmed to 24.4 C then 1.066 = 1.070
https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:10 pm

I don't think solids in the jar would make any difference. It wouldn't change the density of the liquid above it. If you placed the hydrometer in the kettle after cooling (as some people do for readings) there would be loads of trub at the bottom, but it wouldn't impact the reading. Temperature could certainly be a factor as above.

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:13 pm

I guess if break material was floating on top of the hydrometer it could weigh it down though. I assumed you meant it had already compacted but just re-read your post.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Take a sample of wort, put this into a container, let the wort cool to the required temp for your hydrometer. Once cooled most of the break / debris should have sunk to the bottom of the container. Carefully decant clear wort into the hydrometer cylinder, take reading with hydrometer.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)