Brewday embuggerences

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Brewday embuggerences

Post by MashBag » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 am

I made the last word up I think. But I do like 'embuggerence' - and it fitted perfectly last night.

Every so often you have a brew day that goes sidewards.
I started a brew, filled the water and the malt. Ready to go, turn the pump on nothing.
Scratch my head for a few seconds then saw the pump impeller that was sat on the counter.

This should have been refitted after cleaning.

Turned out to be an easier fix than I expected. Left the grain bed intact, drained the water and believe it or not there is enough room on the side of a BM to unscrew the pump, pop the Impaler in and then refill and restart.

That could have been a very long and messy problem to solve.

'Trust your gut' came up in another post recently.. I had a twinge about this one.. But carried on regardless.

Live & learn.
Last edited by MashBag on Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Re: Brewday embuggerences

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:41 am

Best brew ever?
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:20 am

Just sometimes you get caught out. BM's are favorites for forgetting the bottom mesh - which is a proper PITA to fix.

It'll be fine :D This one is going straight from BM to bottle - wish me luck!

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:34 am

Once dropped the grain back into the wort on my BM20.
wrecked the malt pipe had to drain through a muslin bag and start the boil ,was one one of my best tasting beers.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:58 pm

MashBag wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:20 am

It'll be fine :D This one is going straight from BM to bottle - wish me luck!
It will be alright, just an individual type of stepped infusion mash.

It must be said that I wouldn't advocate fermenting in the kettle, but understand being possessed with a single expensive piece of equipment might, it might fill a certain need. Indeed I wish you luck.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:35 pm

I once forgot to put the filter in place on my GF before heating up the mash water. I managed to avoid having to put my hand and arm into 65C water by using a pair of BBQ "tweezers" (forgotten their proper name!) to fit the filter. Phew!

However, this pales into insignificance beside a weissbier brew day when the sparge water just wouldn't flow through the mash bed. I decided to "loosen" the mash with my SS mash paddle, but must've been a bit too vigorous as I managed to push the bottom perforated plate out of the bottom of the malt pipe (there is little overlap between the malt pipe and the perforated plate, which is moderately flexible). This resulted in the whole mash dropping into the GF and splashing me quite liberally in the process! I did, though, manage to retrieve the situation by jugging the mash out into another container, rinsing out the GF, reassembling the malt pipe and jugging back into the malt pipe to then complete the sparging and subsequent boil.

Despite this, if memory serves, it was one of my better weissbiers. :lol:
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:21 pm

I had that twinge about a brew a few weeks ago. I just didn’t want to brew it, and I felt unprepared about the recipe and everything else.

The brew day was a bit of a disaster with the grain bill being so large as to fill the mash tun nearly to the brim. Secondly there was quite a lot of oats in the grist, which left me with a sticky mash that would just not lauter.

I also added quite a bit of coffee to the end of the boil (this was an imperial breakfast stout), which appears to have left a surprising amount of caffeine in the finished beer. Unfortunately my caffeine tolerance is limited these days, which means I’m not desperate to drink this beer unless I want a bad night of sleep.

So overall a bit of a disaster, and my gut was warning me.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:49 am

MashBag wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 am
pop the Impaler in
Mash,
Did Vlad help you with this? :shock:

WA

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:14 am

Eric wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:58 pm

It must be said that I wouldn't advocate fermenting in the kettle, but understand being possessed with a single expensive piece of equipment might, it might fill a certain need. Indeed I wish you luck.
Neither would I. I am having a play, trailing something.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:18 am

WalesAles wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:49 am
MashBag wrote:
pop the Impaler in
Mash,
Did Vlad help you with this? :shock:

WA
Lol.

Sometimes my typos (auto text) make me laugh, so I leave them in, some I correct. Some I don't even see.. Ta da.. never saw that one.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:23 am

Jocky wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:21 pm

So overall a bit of a disaster, and my gut was warning me.
Yeah. I know exactly what you mean. I have listened to it in the past and been pleased I did. I too have ignored it too - often to my peril.

Think the trick is to spot it (read it) well. If it helps I can help you out with the stout 🤣🤣

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:56 am

I too am prepared to offer my services to help you with the stout ;)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:57 pm

MashBag wrote:
I made the last word up I think. But I do like 'embuggerence' - and it fitted perfectly last night.
Mash,
Not a made up word........

https://www.google.com/search?q=embugge ... e&ie=UTF-8

Surprised me as well! :shock:

WA

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:15 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:56 am
I too am prepared to offer my services to help you with the stout ;)
Actually I quite like the stout… over 10% abv, and with lashings of chocolate, coffee and bourbon. If only it didn’t keep me awake at night!

Message me your address and I’ll send you a bottle.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:16 pm

MashBag wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:23 am
If it helps I can help you out with the stout 🤣🤣
Send me your address.