overnight no-chill brewdays

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: overnight no-chill brewdays

Post by Cobnut » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 am

Yep some brewers do NOT boil the wort.

Lars Marius Garshol writes about them in this article: https://byo.com/article/raw-ale/

He has also written a fascinating book about historical brewing techniques. It is largely focused on the Nordic and Baltic countries, but there are a couple of old British "recipes" in his book: https://www.garshol.priv.no/download/historical-tech/

Actually he's written more than one book (https://www.garshol.priv.no/pages/books.html), but I only have the one on historical brewing techniques.

He has also been blogging on this topic for a number of years, and has been credited with having brought Kveik yeast (love it or hate it!) into the mainstream of brewing in recent years.

I have been wondering about trying to make a Raw Ale for a while, but not gone down that path as yet.

#toomanybeerstoolittletime
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:28 am

Thanks fir that. I will read up.

Not a kveik fan TBH

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=84024

You have to have a go, we need you!

#GoOnGoOnGoOooon

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:23 am

Should I call these brewnights? That is where most of the action is 🤔🤔

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:04 am

Cobnut wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 am

Lars Marius Garshol writes about them in this article: https://byo.com/article/raw-ale/
Not ordered the book, but that article is good reading. Thanks.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:42 pm

It's such a shame that McMullen isn't contributing to this thread.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:56 am

Cobnut wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 am

He has also written a fascinating book about historical brewing techniques. It is largely focused on the Nordic and Baltic countries, but there are a couple of old British "recipes" in his book: https://www.garshol.priv.no/download/historical-tech/

Actually he's written more than one book (https://www.garshol.priv.no/pages/books.html), but I only have the one on historical brewing techniques.
Read a bit more of his work. He certainly proves there is no 'one way' to make beer.

It certainly does make you wonder if we are just copying what the commercial chaps do blindly, without question and missing out on the enormous diversity out there. Is it our palettes that have been hijacked or our purses? Hmm.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:43 am

Just took a look at the book by Mr G ARSOL and the picture of a glass of something on the cover proves he is not making beer as I understand it. Could it be that he has never mastered the art of making bright beer ? Why on earth doesn't he chuck in some black malt so we cannot tell that it is cloudy crap. A typical case of The Emperor's New Clothes or if it is different it must be better.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:15 pm

Surely it is just 'different'. Could it be they say the same about bright beer.
Different folks different strokes.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:48 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:15 pm
Surely it is just 'different' ...
Yes, so different it doesn't fit most peoples definition of 'beer'. It needs its own section on the forum, preferably under 'Other Stuff' and as far away from beer as possible :D
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:15 pm
Surely it is just 'different'. Could it be they say the same about bright beer.
Different folks different strokes.
It's this simple. Brewers who can brew produce attractive bright beer. Those who cannot brew produce cloudy crap and justify it by saying that ls what they intended to make. The resulting hop soup is claimed to be trendy and the way to go.
Just imagine the uproar if an upstart winemakier tried the same trick with wine.
It has taken many years to perfect the art of brewing and this is a return to the dark ages of brewing.
This afternoon we happened to meet a young man who we have known since his birth. He now works as a salesman for an "Artisan Brewery" in Toulouse. His company's latest gimmick is beer brewed using roast potatoes. When I was his age roast potatoes were something that the landlord served up free on a Sunday lunchtime.

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:42 pm

Lol. Really LMAO (both)

I humbly stand corrected. I am a member of the bright beer camp, if you will still have me. 😂😂

Bonkers.
Last edited by MashBag on Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:28 pm

Was researching potato beer this afternoon - making a curry and had blitzed up some spuds in magimix for the sauce, thought they would cook through quickly and were grain sized bits. It is apparently a thing in Germany.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2013 ... -beer.html

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:09 am

I made Spud wine what seems like a million years ago. I can still recall the taste.
'Could' does not mean 'should'. As an adjunct it might just add starch and not flavour.... But even then why. Bit like melon - fermented that once, never again.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:44 am

MashBag wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:09 am
I made Spud wine what seems like a million years ago. I can still recall the taste.
'Could' does not mean 'should'. As an adjunct it might just add starch and not flavour.... But even then why. Bit like melon - fermented that once, never again.
Listen to this
https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Alone we travel faster

LeeH
Under the Table

overnight no-chill brewdays

Post by LeeH » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:15 am

IPA wrote: It's this simple. Brewers who can brew produce attractive bright beer. Those who cannot brew produce cloudy crap and justify it by saying that ls what they intended to make.

That’s just nonsense. Sorry.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel