homemade CO2 charger for kegging?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
layangman

homemade CO2 charger for kegging?

Post by layangman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:31 pm

I have been into many forums and found this "kegging" using CO2 to be a very popular form of carbonating beer. Of course the cost factor has put many off, including myself.
Searching through the internet I found this really smart idea which I think I may try out: http://inventionsthatwork.com/carbonator.htm
It uses baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) + citric acid to cause a reaction which naturally produces CO2 (like alka-seltzer tablets). If you lookm at the picture of the carbonator, it is quite simple for a handy person to drill a hole into a PET bottle cap, insert a barb nipple ob both caps, join with a short hose and voila! your endless supply of CO2 for pennies. I will try it out this weekend to see if it works.
If any of you try it out first, do let's share the outcome.

Cheers :lol:

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:47 am

Well. considering it only costs about £3 for a Sparklets gas cylinder refill here in England, I don't think many people will spend twice that on the instructions to build a home made one.

Interesting for those who like experimenting, though!

layangman

Post by layangman » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:00 am

Hi Jim,

Yes, CO2 refills etc...are pretty easy to get hold of in UK and US, but here its quite an expensive setup, thus the search for low cost alternatives.
From the looks of the image provided, I don't think I need to pay for the plan to build it. Simple enough to figure out how its done.